Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1271
Dating dead boys
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Caitlynn's friends are a bit concerned that she is spending so much time with Blade. Deena Fear has warned Caitlynn that "she saw him first" but tries to befriend Caitlynn, who is not very interested in the creepy, Goth-wannabes friendship. When Caitlynn sees Blade out with another girl, and Blade tells her that their relationship was not that serious, she waits for him outside him house and attacks him a brutal fashion. Oddly, even though the police come to her house later because the front door is open and see her with blood stains, she isn't arrested, although she thinks she will be. Deena Fear confides that she made Caitlynn attack him, and wishes she hadn't. Deena wants Blade back, but Caitlynn is tired of him. In the end, we find out that everything was not as it seemed, in a sort of Bobby-in-Dallas moment...OR WAS IT???
Good Points
Readers of Stine know what to expect from his Fear Street books. There will be sudden, brutal deaths; unexplained and eerie happenings; and plenty of surprises. The Dead Boyfriend is no exception, although it is a particularly grim and bloody entry into this series. That will be a selling point to the target demographic, although it turned my stomach a bit!

Caitlyn and Deena's squabbling over Blade is relatable even if Deena herself is an over-the-top Goth character. Caitlyn's obsession is also right on task.

Readers who have outgrown the attacks by lawn gnomes and evil dolls that occur in the Goosebumps books will take well to the spine chilling, style of the Fear Street books. Just make sure to sleep with the lights on!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Instant Karma

0.0 (0)
In New York Times bestselling author Marissa Meyer's young adult...
Put Yourself in My Shoes

0.0 (0)
When Cricket goes for a walk, he finds Ladybug searching...
Selma

0.0 (0)
Selma is asked: What is happiness? ...
Benjamin's Blue Feet

0.0 (0)
A young bird with a flair for discovery and invention...
Pocket Piggies: I Love You!

0.0 (0)
What’s the best thing in the world? I...
Everything Under the Sun

0.0 (0)
Sun’s Reach is in dire peril. The last...
Lizzy Albright and the Attic Window

0.0 (0)
Lizzy Albright, a red-headed, freckle-faced girl from Overland Park, Kansas,...
Send Me Their Souls (Bring Me Their Hearts, #3)

0.0 (0)
There are worse things than death. ...
The Walrus and the Caribou

0.0 (0)
When the earth was new, words had the power to...
The Elephant's Umbrella

0.0 (0)
Elephant is always ready and willing to share her prized...
Calvin Gets the Last Word

0.0 (0)
The dictionary as narrator? YES! ...
Goblin King (Permafrost, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...

Latest Member Reviews

"The insatiable oasis will hunt down the thieves of this book and tear them apart, limb by limb, devouring their..."
All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)

"ALL THE STARS AND TEETH is an imaginative and lush YA fantasy that transports the reader to a fascinating new..."
Symptoms of a Heartbreak

"I started out reading an ARC of Symptoms of a Heartbreak, but then I switched to reading a hardcover in..."
A Dream So Dark (A Blade So Black #2)

"*This review contains spoilers for book one, A BLADE SO BLACK* A DREAM SO DARK, sequel to A BLADE..."
Winner Take All

"The phrases “beautiful disaster” and “bad romance” but NOT the well-known novels that use those phrases for their titles. Five..."
The Wicker King

"K. Ancrum’s debut novel, The Wicker King, offers a glimpse into the unraveling of the human psyche. August..."
The Lovely Reckless

"Frankie's life has turned upside down since seeing her boyfriend killed. She can't remember who did it and she can't..."
The Lovely Reckless

"Kami Garcia has done it again! This book is every bit as addictive as all her other ones, and yet..."