Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1230
Hearts and the Red Thread that Connects Them
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

After The Name of the Blade and Darkness Hidden, Mio is back, and the threat to London is still dire. Monsters are roaming the streets, terrifying residents, and only Mio and her small group of friends know what's going on. Shinobu is gone, and Mio must rely on her father, Rachel, Jack, Hikaru and others to save London from the fight between Izanagi and Izanami. Along the way, Mio must travel under London into the sewer-like entrance to the land of dreams, and decide whether she wants to stay there in safety with Shinobu, or risk her own life to save her friends and family on their plane of existence. More of the history that she shares with Shinobu is revealed, explaining why the two warriors have such a strong bond.
Good Points
This is a great urban paranormal romance choice for fans of Amy Plum's Revenant series, Aprilynne Pike's Wings books, and De La Cruz's Blue Bloods saga. It had fascinating bits of Japanese mythology, which is such a welcome change from the standard Anglo-Germanic basis for most mythologically rooted books.

The romance amidst the destruction will be appealing to readers. Mio's inexplicable connection to Shinobu is not treated lightly, and we do learn why it is such a compelling force in her life. There is an interesting interchange between Jack and Hikaru-- in his human for, the kitsune puts the moves on Jack, only to find out that she prefers women. This is not a problem for a shapeshifter, and Hikaru changes to a female form. The explanation of gender fluidity is matter-of-fact and handled well. There is a brief interlude when Mio and Shinobu share a moment that ends with Mio acquiring some grass stains, but there is nothing instructional that would prevent this from being appropriate for middle grade readers.

Mio is a strong but conflicted character who doubts her own strength but is ultimately able to summon it against the odds. I appreciated the fact that her parents both play a role in the book, and that she is both protective of them while wanting their approval and protection as well. Rachel gains power after her attack from a supernatural being in a previous book, and helps to save the day. Incidental characters like Mr. Ebisu add depth to both the mythology and the story in a satisfying way-- I want to hang out at Mr. Ebisu's book store!

Frail Human Heart is a brilliantly titled and satisfying conclusion to The Name of the Blade Trilogy that will have fans sighing with relieved contentment and waiting to see what Marriott will write next.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

In My Heart

0.0 (0)
A working mother reassures her child that even when they’re...
Grandpa's Stories

0.0 (0)
One young girl reflects on a year with her beloved...
The Nest That Wren Built

0.0 (0)
Nature lovers and poetry fans alike will be drawn to...

0.0 (0)
So, you want to know about Jack Wilson? Here’s some...
Elysium Girls

0.0 (0)
From a lush, dazzlingly original new voice in young adult...
The Lost Legends

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
A plague. A prophecy. A centuries-long curse. All her...
In the Hall with the Knife

0.0 (0)
A murderer could be around every corner in this...
Girls With Razor Hearts

0.0 (0)
Make me a girl with a razor heart… It’s...
Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children #5)

0.0 (0)
The fifth installment in Seanan McGuire's award-winning, bestselling Wayward...
When Wishes Bleed

0.0 (0)
One Prince. One Witch. One Fate. The upheaval in...

0.0 (0)
Ali McMillian almost drowned. It wasn’t a run-of-the-mill accident either;...
Ember Queen (Ash Princess, #3)

0.0 (0)
The thrilling conclusion to the New York Times bestselling...
Moonscript

0.0 (0)
"It is said that Darkness is empty and whatever vanishes...
The Lucky Ones

0.0 (0)
For fans of Thirteen Reasons Why, This Is How It...
Girl, Serpent, Thorn

0.0 (0)
A captivating and utterly original fairy tale about a girl...
Meet Me at Midnight

0.0 (0)
They have a love-hate relationship with summer. ...

Latest Member Reviews

Girl v. Boy

"Reader reviewed by Steph Su Luisa Perez and her best friends have mastered the art of not..."
Introducing Vivien Leigh Reid: Daughter of the Diva

"Reader reviewed by c-alexis First off, I've gotta say that I love these two authors for a few reasons...."

"Reader reviewed by Theresa M. Lambert I would highly recommend this book to anybody who watches shows like Trading Spouses..."

"Reader reviewed by Sara by Yvonne Collins and Sandy Rideout "Fed up with her parents and all their ridiculous..."

"Reader reviewed by Rach Viven Leigh Reid is a funny teenage girl who we all can relate to... except for..."

"Reader reviewed by Alexandra Leigh is sent off to Ireland for the summer to spend the summer with her actress..."

"Reader reviewed by Ria After visiting, Annika Anderson, on the set of her movie Danny Boy, Leigh doesn't think she'll..."

"Reader reviewed by The Lit Chick one word:predictable, form start till the end. okay, maybe not the part when leigh..."

"Reader reviewed by chelsea Over all, this book is about a girl who learns to respect her mom and what..."

"Reader reviewed by ria Vivian Leigh Reid has had minimal contact with her movie start mother, Annika. But for..."

"Vivien Leigh Reed excuse me, Leigh Reed can think of a ton of things she'd rather do than..."