Review Detail

Allegedly FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 3365
Stunning, gritty debut with a shocking ending.
(Updated: December 05, 2016)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

At the core of this story, is a stunning and realistic tale of poverty, and hardships. Jackson does an amazing job of painting a true to life picture, of life in "prison," and the struggles of a young girl, just dealing with a lot.

Needless to say it was a raw story, at times cringeworthy, to hear the main character's story and how she grew up in this prison-like system--dealing with the repercussions of allegedly killing this "white" baby. (The color of the skin of the baby is important to the story, which is why I'm mentioning it.)

I really felt connected to the story in that way, watching the way the character was raised, down to the way the character describes the way her mother smells--connecting the smell of her hair and food--and letting that remind her of home. I felt akin to the character. Also having it set in NY--my hometown made it that much more easy for me to enjoy.

Aside from that, there are a lot of detail filled chapters to this story, there's a lot of background to get into--so there are a lot of chapters where nothing particularly exciting happens--but I can see the reason for it.

You really get to know the characters in a personal way--their strengths and weaknesses. Their quirks, the real meat of the characters. Though I tend to not go for novels that are heavy in background, and a lot of "getting to know," time. I did quite enjoy hearing Mary's story--and when she gets pregnant, the story becomes more profound.

It's quite the story, and pretty well done. It was very interesting trying to put all the pieces together, all to find out I was wrong. The ending was superb and I will say I didn't see it coming. The author had me fooled, and I am truly a sucker for a good ending. So, thumbs up for that.

It's not a whodunit mystery, so don't expect a lot of intrigue, but there's definitely some questions to be asked and by the end you'll have you answers. Some of you will be pleased, some may not--but for a debut novel, it's pretty darn good.

Great for people who like their novels real with a lot of detail. A worthwhile read.

Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Bread Lab!

0.0 (0)
It’s a sleepy Saturday morning for most people, but not...
A Thousand No's

0.0 (0)
This empowering picture book teaches readers that even great ideas...
Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle, #2)

0.0 (0)
The hilarious sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller,...
Sharko and Hippo

0.0 (0)
With tongue-twisty wordplay and escalating absurdity, this is a fall-down-funny...
The Thing About Bees: A Love Letter

0.0 (0)
A LOVE POEM FROM A FATHER TO HIS TWO SONS,...
The Faithless Hawk (The Merciful Crow, #2)

0.0 (0)
Kings become outcasts and lovers become foes in The Faithless...
Zora's Zucchini

0.0 (0)
The first zucchini of a summer garden is always exciting,...
Libby Loves Science

0.0 (0)
Libby loves science! In this STEM-themed picture book, a companion...
The Hidden Rainbow

0.0 (0)
All the colors of the rainbow are hidden in the...
The Places We Sleep

0.0 (0)
A family divided, a country going to war, and a...
Chasing Starlight

0.0 (0)
Movies, mansions, and murder in the Golden Age of Hollywood!...

0.0 (0)
Midwestern high school seniors and swim teammates Alli and Brandon...

0.0 (0)
True love has never been more deadly in this lush...
Kamala and Maya's Big Idea

0.0 (0)
Meena Harris debuts with an empowering picture book about two...
Harvey Holds His Own (The Harvey Stories, #2)

0.0 (0)
The West Highland Terrier that brought Harvey Comes Home to...
Everything I Thought I Knew

0.0 (0)
A teenage girl wonders if she’s inherited more than just...

Latest Member Reviews

Princess Leia: Royal Rebel (Backstories)

"Before Leia was introduced as a feisty captured courier for Death Star schematics, she was a well-loved adopted princess of..."
Use The Force! (LEGO Star Wars: Activity Book)

"Once again LEGO and Star Wars team up to bring young fans a stellar activity book experience. Centering around..."
R2-D2 to the Rescue! (LEGO Star Wars: Chapter Book)

"LEGO and Star Wars team up for a beginner chapter book experience that takes some cheeky and entertaining liberties with..."
Face Off (LEGO Star Wars)

"The sarcasm is strong with this one. This format will likely hold the most appeal for young video game..."
Droid Tales (LEGO Star Wars: Episodes I-III)

"Based on the TV specials, Star Wars gets a child-friendlier facelift—LEGO style. In this abbreviated made-for-kids version of..."
Star Wars: A Galactic Pop-up Adventure

"As a special treat, we have a guest reviewer here today to tell you about STAR WARS: A Galactic Pop-Up..."
The Captive Temple (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice #7)

"Reader reviewed by Seth                              Ceasing of the Temples Tranquility Enter the peaceful..."