Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2209
An Eerie but Beautiful Trip to the Isle of Man
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Fear the Drowning Deep by Sarah Glenn Marsh is a captivating tale that plunges its readers into some of the dark secrets found in the deep blue sea. Mixed with myths, romance, and a peculiar kind of magic, readers will surely find themselves flipping pages—and dreading the end.

What I Liked:

One of my favorite things about this book is the setting. I wasn't entirely familiar with the Isle of Man and now I am absolutely in love with it. Sarah Glenn Marsh gives us a view of how it was around the 1900s and the experience felt so real—almost as if I stepped inside its pages! The mystery, the witchcraft, its inhabitants, and everything else are well written and I wish this book would have been a bit longer just to explore more of this luscious landscape.

This book also has a great cast of characters, but my favorite, hands down, is Morag, the "witch" of the Isle. This character is mysterious and on first sight, the type you would want to stay far away from. However, Morag is a person who has dealt and seen a lot in all her years, and deep down, the kind of grandma anyone would want to have in their lives (though I'm pretty sure she would not be fond to be classified as such). I love this character so much and I hope to read more from her one day!

The main character, Bridey, is also a favorite, along with Fynn (the mysterious boy who washes up to shore), and Bridey's family. I write about them together (as one) since they all have a great relationship with each other, something that is at times hard to come by.

Last but not least, the whole myth and folklore mixed with witchcraft. It's an unusual combination and one that works magnificently in this novel. Nothing short of bewitching!

What left me wanting more:

While I love Bridey and Fynn together, I feel that their romantic moments aren't as magical and wondrous as I wanted them to be. Usually, the build-up to a relationship is what gets the magic going, but things between Bridey and Fynn happen quite fast, there isn't truly enough time to start wishing for things—like their first kiss—before it's already happening. Since I'm a huge fan of build-ups, this saddened me a bit.

Final Verdict:

Fear the Drowning Deep is the debut novel of Sarah Glenn Marsh and one you definitely want to have on your TBR! It's dark, hypnotizing, and one that will have you wondering about the mysteries of the deep.
Good Points
Beautiful setting description and great use of myths/folklore of the Isle of Man.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling author...
Music for Tigers

0.0 (0)
Shipped halfway around the world to spend the summer...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. ...
Kingdom of Ice and Bone (The Frozen Sun Saga, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lira and Reyker have lost everything. Including each other....
Sword of the Seven Sins

0.0 (0)
Eva Marteinn never wanted to be a killer. Raised...
Things That Should Stay Buried

0.0 (0)
Some destinies are written in the stars. Others must...
How It All Blew Up

0.0 (0)
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda goes to Italy...
Horrid

0.0 (0)
From the author of You Must Not Miss comes...
Tsalix Silverthorn and the Scepter of Destiny

0.0 (0)
The latest phenomenal work from New York Times Bestselling author...
The Adventures of Bubba Jones (#4): Time Traveling Through Grand Canyon National Park

0.0 (0)
In the fourth book of this award-winning national park series,...
The Companion

0.0 (0)
The other orphans say Margot is lucky. Lucky to...
Sanctuary

0.0 (0)
It's 2032, and in this near-future America, all citizens...
Teen Titans: Beast Boy

0.0 (0)
Author Kami Garcia (Beautiful Creatures) and artist Gabriel Picolo,...
The Magic Misfits: The Fourth Suit (The Magic Misfits, #4)

0.0 (0)
The Misfits must work together to fend off mysterious attacks...
Duck and Penguin Do Not Like Sleepovers

0.0 (0)
A hilarious bedtime romp tackles the thrills and anxieties of...
Furia

0.0 (0)
A powerful, #ownvoices contemporary YA for fans of The...

Latest Member Reviews

Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

"SKYHUNTER is an enthralling and lush YA fantasy. Lu really paints the story with her words, and this new novel..."
Goddess in the Machine (Goddess in the Machine, #1)

"Andra, a teenager from the 2160s, is put into cryogenic stasis fulling expecting to wake up on another planet one..."
Starsight (Skyward Book 2)

"Strap in, sci-fi fans. This series continuation goes off-world and ups the ante to a galactic scale. Blessedly, Sanderson's..."

"Andra went into cryonic sleep for a hundred years for a trip across the universe to wake up as a..."
Honor Bound (The Honors, #2)

"HONOR BOUND is an electrifying and thrilling YA sci-fi sequel. Zara, Beatriz, and Nadim are on the run from an..."

"GODDESS IN THE MACHINE is a compelling YA sci-fi that follows Andra after she is woken up from cryo'sleep. Andra..."
Deathstrike (Ultraball #2)

"After narrowly avoiding disaster in Ultraball, the Miners (coached by Strike) are back for a new season. When the team..."
The Sound of Stars

"THE SOUND OF STARS takes place after the Earth has been invaded and overtaken by the Ilori. The book follows..."
OtherLife

"OTHERLIFE is the third book in the Last Reality Series by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller. This YA Sci-Fi novel..."
The Bad Guys in the Baddest Day Ever (The Bad Guys #10)

"Snake is dead, and the Bad Guys, as well as the League of Heroes, are gathered for the funeral. Faced..."
Aurora Rising

"I could not sit Aurora Rising down! This is the first book by the writing duo Amie Kaufman & Jay..."
Imagine Me (Shatter Me #6)

"Have you ever been so blown away by a series that you don't even know how to put all your..."
Bloom (The Bloom Trilogy #1)

"Anaya has horrible allergies to everything; plants, food, animals. They also cause her to have terrible acne, and she is..."
Daniel Coldstar #2: The Betrayer

"Copy provided by Young Adult Books Central After the evens in The Relic War, Daniel, Jasper the..."
In the Red

"Michael Prasad and his family live on a colony on Mars, under a dome that controls the environment. His father,..."
Neffatira's First Challenge

"The descriptions are very beautiful and you can perceive the feelings of the characters to the point of empathy. ..."
Seneca Element (The Seneca Society Book 2)

"The wait is finally over! SENECA ELEMENT by Rayya Deeb is now available. As a huge fan of SENECA REBEL,..."
Midnight on Strange Street

"The town of Callaway, Texas, is a refuge from the global war that is going on and affecting Los Angeles...."
The Burning Shadow (Origin Series, #2)

"I’m not going to lie….I read The Burning Shadow in two days. It could’ve been one sitting if my eyelids..."
The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future

"THE END AND OTHER BEGINNINGS is the latest from DIVERGENT author, Veronica Roth. The novel is comprised of six YA..."