Review Detail

Quirky Nordic Goodness
Overall rating 

Plot 

N/A
Characters 

Writing Style 

A quick, whimsical companion guide to the Magnus Chase world; this book presents Norse mythos on a middle-grade level, yet proves palatable for nearly all ages.

Rather than a single tale, what we have here is a compilation of bite-sized biographies and illuminating short stories, all intended to help orient Magnus Chase fans and expand on Riordan’s existing worldbuilding. It is framed as a tool given to guests of the Hotel Valhalla, in an effort to help them adjust to their eternal stay (and prevent them from pestering the hotel staff with an excess of inquiries.) Think of it as a cheeky afterlife FAQ.

Riordan’s prose makes a consistent effort to both entertain and give an educational base introduction to Norse gods, giants, elves, the world tree, great beasts, quasi-immortal origins, and ancient rivalries. The glossary of terms in the back even offers the correct pronunciation of every tongue-twisting Scandanavian and Germanic term mentioned.

My favorite part, hands down, was the Fantastic Creatures section.

"Our menagerie of beasts fall into three categories: notable, regrettable, and edible. Notable ones make worthwhile contributions to the worlds or are significant for other reasons. Those that are regrettable are alarming in every possible way--some more so than others. As for the edible creatures, well, I think that category is self-explanatory."

My only regret was the lack of visual aid on the order of the character sketches we’d seen earlier on in the book. Instead we get monster bios with vague descriptions of their physicalities, and more extensive mentioning of their dispositions. Sketches would have been a nice (and consistent) added touch.

While it may be on the spendy side for those just looking for a Nordic Myth primer, I could see this handsome little hardback being a welcome addition to the collection of any Rick Riordan enthusiast.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)

0.0 (0)
In this riveting, keenly emotional debut fantasy, a Black teen...
You Say It First

0.0 (0)
One conversation can change everything. Meg has her entire...
My High School Royal Boyfriend

0.0 (0)
ALEX A tragedy at Langley Estate puts my family...
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Clark thought he knew what grief was. Addie thought...
Tales from the Hinterland

0.0 (0)
A gorgeously illustrated collection of twelve “lush and deliciously...
Sisters of Shadow and Light

0.0 (0)
From the acclaimed author of Defy, Sara B. Larson,...
In the Penalty Box

0.0 (0)
Willow Figure skating was supposed to be my whole...
Unchosen

0.0 (0)
Katharyn Blair crafts a fiercely feminist fantasy with a horrifying...
Miracle Girl

0.0 (0)
Leanne Strong hates June eighth even though it's supposed to...
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Rosie Singer’s mom is missing whatever it is that...
Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke

0.0 (0)
On October 2nd, 1977, Glenn Burke, outfielder for the Los...
The Elephant in the Room

0.0 (0)
It's been almost a year since Sila's mother traveled halfway...
Alone in the Woods

0.0 (0)
Jocelyn and Alex have always been best friends...until they aren't....
Disaster Days

0.0 (0)
Hannah Steele loves living on Pelling, a tiny island near...
Wild River

0.0 (0)
Daniel Redmayne is fast asleep on the first night of...
The Last Hurrah

0.0 (0)
3 nights, 2 days, and 1 massive music fest ....

Latest Member Reviews

DEV1AT3

"Feedback What a difference between book 1 and book 2. I enjoyed this one so much more, and I..."
The Shadow Threat (House of El, #1)

"THE SHADOW THREAT is a fantastic sci-fi graphic novel that follows Krypton as it is nearing its end. Krypton genetically..."
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

"I really enjoyed Skyhunter, another winner from Marie Lu. Talin is a refugee and is mute. She is a Striker,..."
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

"SKYHUNTER is an enthralling and lush YA fantasy. Lu really paints the story with her words, and this new novel..."
Goddess in the Machine (Goddess in the Machine, #1)

"Andra, a teenager from the 2160s, is put into cryogenic stasis fulling expecting to wake up on another planet one..."
Starsight (Skyward Book 2)

"Strap in, sci-fi fans. This series continuation goes off-world and ups the ante to a galactic scale. Blessedly, Sanderson's..."

"Andra went into cryonic sleep for a hundred years for a trip across the universe to wake up as a..."
Honor Bound (The Honors, #2)

"HONOR BOUND is an electrifying and thrilling YA sci-fi sequel. Zara, Beatriz, and Nadim are on the run from an..."

"GODDESS IN THE MACHINE is a compelling YA sci-fi that follows Andra after she is woken up from cryo'sleep. Andra..."
The Sound of Stars

"THE SOUND OF STARS takes place after the Earth has been invaded and overtaken by the Ilori. The book follows..."
OtherLife

"OTHERLIFE is the third book in the Last Reality Series by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller. This YA Sci-Fi novel..."
Aurora Rising

"I could not sit Aurora Rising down! This is the first book by the writing duo Amie Kaufman & Jay..."
Imagine Me (Shatter Me #6)

"Have you ever been so blown away by a series that you don't even know how to put all your..."
Bloom (The Bloom Trilogy #1)

"Anaya has horrible allergies to everything; plants, food, animals. They also cause her to have terrible acne, and she is..."
Neffatira's First Challenge

"The descriptions are very beautiful and you can perceive the feelings of the characters to the point of empathy. ..."
Seneca Element (The Seneca Society Book 2)

"The wait is finally over! SENECA ELEMENT by Rayya Deeb is now available. As a huge fan of SENECA REBEL,..."
The Burning Shadow (Origin Series, #2)

"I’m not going to lie….I read The Burning Shadow in two days. It could’ve been one sitting if my eyelids..."
The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future

"THE END AND OTHER BEGINNINGS is the latest from DIVERGENT author, Veronica Roth. The novel is comprised of six YA..."
Eve of Man

"EVE OF MAN by Giovanna and Tom Fletcher is the latest in YA dystopias. In the story, a phenomenon of..."
The Burning Shadow (Origin Series, #2)

"What worked: I'm a huge fan of the Lux series and LOVE Daemon. The relationship between Daemon and Kat is..."