Review Detail

Dark Energy Featured
Young Adult Fiction 2859
Different Twist On Alien Invasion
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

This was an intriguing and enjoyable read - yet, not what I expected. The snarky dialogue between Alice and her dad is both humorous and loving. The friends Alice makes at her new school are fun, intelligent, and kind of unexpected for an expensive boarding school and the budding romance is sweet. Being the fangirl I am, I also enjoyed the references to superheroes. Aliens landing on our planet isn't a new concept for a book, but Dark Energy gives it a different twist - which is a good thing, but still didn't quite work for me.

With this story, the reader has to seriously suspend their disbelief - and I don't mean because of the aliens. I'm referring to the actions of the characters. Something this epic happens and a few days later a couple of aliens are attending high school? Teenagers are allowed to explore the spaceship when there are still so many unanswered questions about the aliens and what occurred on the ship - without their parents' permission? There are several more instances, but no spoilers here. The actions and reactions just didn't seem realistic or grounded in the real world.

Dark Energy is a quick, entertaining read that held my attention, but isn't the more 'serious' type of alien invasion book I was expecting. If you're looking for a fun, sci-fi type of story, this one's for you.

Thanks to Edelweiss for the digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Sabina: In the Eye of the Storm

0.0 (0)
As in Anne Frank's "Diary of a Young Girl" and...
My Love is All Around

0.0 (0)
Mommy Bear shows Baby Bear how love is all around...
I'm not a Mouse!

0.0 (0)
Olivia really doesn't like her nickname - mostly because it...
My Panda Sweater

0.0 (0)
The other kids may laugh, but I always feel safe...
One Day on our Blue Planet... In the Outback

0.0 (0)
From breakfast to dinner, dusk to dawn, children will love...
Mrs Bibi's Elephant

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming story with a message as big as an...
The State of Us

0.0 (0)
"Dre and Dean have got my vote!"—Adib Khorram, award-winning...
My Calamity Jane

0.0 (0)
Welcome to 1876 America, a place bursting with gunslingers,...
Little Creeping Things

0.0 (0)
A compulsively readable debut with a narrator you just...
Fae's Deception (Queens of the Fae Book 1)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Brea Robinson is a murderer. That’s what everyone tells...
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

0.0 (0)
Clark thought he knew what grief was. Addie thought...
Artemis Fowl: Guide to the World of Fairies

0.0 (0)
This beautifully illustrated novel is a compendium of Artemis Fowl's...
The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)

0.0 (0)
Les Misérables meets Six of Crows in this page-turning...
Personalized Notebook Doodles Adorable Pets Coloring Book

0.0 (0)
From hamsters and hermit crabs to cats and canaries, you'll...
The Last Summer

0.0 (0)
For the first eleven years of their lives, neighbors Lila...
The Falling in Love Montage

0.0 (0)
Two girls embark on a summer of montage-worthy dates (with...

Latest Member Reviews

Personalized Notebook Doodles Adorable Pets Coloring Book

"ADORABLE PETS is full of quotes and pictures about animals. As the title suggests, the pictures are so cute and..."
The Speed of Starlight: An Exploration of Physics, Sound, Light, and Space

"Seriously, this book is huge and gorgeous on a creative level, and a treasure trove of knowledge on an academic..."
1,000 Facts About Ancient Egypt

"1,000 Facts about Ancient Egypt is a National Geographic KIDS book chock full of amazing facts about one of the..."
Flower Power: The Magic of Nature's Healers

"Flower Power is a truly stunning book. The large-scale pages look like paintings (I kind of want to frame them!)..."
Ready, Set, Go!: Sports of All Sorts

"READY, SET, GO!: SPORTS OF ALL SORTS is a fun trip through different sports. The book features rhyming phrases about..."
More than Marmalade: Michael Bond and the Story of Paddington Bear

"More than Marmalade is such a PRECIOUS book. It’s rare that I read a book in one sitting nowadays (due..."
Action Presidents #1: George Washington!

"That story about chopping down the cherry tree that has been trotted out a million times and made into thousands..."
The Ocean in Your Bathtub

"THE OCEAN IN YOUR BATHTUB is an informative picture book about how we interact with the ocean, often without realizing..."
Nelson Mandela

"NELSON MANDELA is a biographical picture book about Nelson Mandela. The book features a poem to describe the basics of..."
Nonsense! The Curious Story of Edward Gorey

"NONSENSE! THE CURIOUS STORY OF EDWARD GOREY is a fantastic biography in the form of poetry and images that are..."
I (Heart) Art: The Work We Love from The Metropolitan Museum of Art

"This beautiful little book highlights famous artwork from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. Categorized into themes of..."
Rescuing the Declaration of Independence: How We Almost Lost the Words That Built America

"RESCUING THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE takes place during the War of 1812. In 1814, the British invade Washington. James Monroe,..."
Baby Paleontologist (Baby Scientist)

"BABY PALEONTOLOGIST teaches about the different things a paleontologist does. It explains how they dig for fossils and how each..."
Thump Goes the Rabbit: How Animals Communicate (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science 1)

"THUMP GOES THE RABBIT teaches about the different ways animals communicate besides just their voice. For example, rabbits thump their..."
Doggy Defenders: Stella the Search Dog

"Do you have an inquisitive child who loves animals? If you answered yes, then they will love this book! Doggy..."
Doggy Defenders: Tiger the Police Dog

"Do you have a child interested in being a policeman? Then they will love this book! In the new series..."
Doggy Defenders: Willow the Therapy Dog

"Can a dog provide therapy? What kind of therapy? Find the answers to these questions and more in National Geographic..."
Doggy Defenders: Dolley the Fire Dog

"Is your child interested in being a firefighter? Do they love dogs? Then this book is for them! Doggy Defenders..."

"What a wonderful story. The world - young and old -- know C.S. Lewis most than they know most..."
Rest & Relax: Sleepy Time for Little Ones (Mindful Tots)

"REST & RELAX is a great book that presents a form of mindfulness or meditation for little ones. This book..."