Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1405
Insightful look into the acting industry
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Unscripted Joss Byrd is easily one of my favorite books of the year. I've always wondered what it was like filming movies and shows, so this was right up my alley.

Joss Byrd is one of Hollywood's biggest stars at the moment, putting pressure on her from not only the media but also her mother. On the set of her new film The Locals, a lot is asked of Joss, who is only 12 (and this took me by surprise).

Some of the characters are great, such as her tutor and her costars. Other characters? Not so much. Some of them didn't understand how much pressure they were putting on a child (reminder: Joss is 12 years old).

Some of the problems she faces are strikingly real even if you're not an actor. You can still relate to her struggle and her fear. This was a book that I absolutely devoured and would gladly read over and over again.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Mr Penguin and the Fortress of Secrets (Mr Penguin #2)

0.0 (0)
Meet Mr. Penguin―Adventurer (And Penguin!) When Mr. Penguin...
Jonny Lambert's Construction Site

0.0 (0)
A beautifully illustrated book for babies featuring lots of noisy...
Pop-Up Peekaboo! Baby Animals

0.0 (0)
Take your toddler on a rain forest adventure and find...

0.0 (0)
Immerse yourself in a strange and beautiful world as you...

0.0 (0)
The inspiring, deeply patriotic true story of John Glenn, a...

0.0 (0)
A wildly imaginative introduction to yoga and nutrition by bestselling...

0.0 (0)
A book jam-packed with eight creative activities to make beautiful...
The Shadows Between Us

0.0 (0)
Tricia Levenseller, author of Daughter of the Pirate King, is...

0.0 (0)
It had been a great day. Perhaps the Best Day…...

0.0 (0)
Far away from the modern world, on a small tropical...

5.0 (1)
It's been three months since Casey McClair fought and survived...

0.0 (0)
She’s captured the king’s heart. But who’s captured hers? #1...

0.0 (0)
Jessica has better things to do than run for her...

0.0 (0)
Vanquishing the Citadel of Troy was a noble effort to...
Seven Deadly Shadows

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Kira Fujikawa has never had it easy. She’s bullied...

0.0 (0)
Brad needs: . . . to deal with sporadic...

Latest Member Reviews

Pippin No Lickin'

"As a family with 2 busy boys, 14 and 12, we appreciate Layne’s contribution to helping children understand the importance..."
Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party

"'Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party' by Kimberly & James Dean is a cute story about friendship and..."
Pete the Kitty Goes to the Doctor

"'Pete the Kitty Goes to the Doctor' by Kimberly & James Dean is a great addition to any child's “I..."
Dog and Rabbit

"DOG AND RABBIT is a charming tale of friendship. Told in four parts, the book introduces Dog and then Rabbit...."
Twins

"TWINS is an adorably charming picture book that celebrates close friends, siblings, and twins (whether identical or not). A boy..."
Kai and the Monkey King (Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #3)

"KAI AND THE MONKEY KING is an engaging and thrilling installment in the Brownstone's Mythical Collection series. In this book,..."
A Warm Friendship

"A WARM FRIENDSHIP is a story of friendship and loss, celebrating the time that you have together. Squirrel finds Snowman..."
The Halloween Tree

"Be prepared to start a new holiday tradition with THE HALLOWEEN TREE. On the Christmas tree lot, there is one..."
Isle of You

"ISLE OF YOU is a beautiful picture book that contains words of encouragement and coping mechanisms for dealing with difficult..."
Dasher: How a Brave Little Doe Changed Christmas Forever

"DASHER is a beautiful and elegant Christmas story that introduces the reindeer before Rudolph. Dasher lives with her family in..."
A Very Pikmi Halloween (Pikmi Pops)

"Celebrate Halloween with the Pikmi Pops in this cute story about friendship. Wubbs the Bat and Vampy the Bat are..."
Small World

"SMALL WORLD is a gorgeous celebration of growing up and following your dreams. When Nanda was born, her world was..."
On the First Day of Summer Vacation

"ON THE FIRST DAY OF SUMMER VACATION uses the tune of The 12 Days of Christmas to present the fun..."
My Funny Bunny

"MY FUNNY BUNNY is about dealing with disappointments and not judging others too quickly. It's the main character's sixth birthday,..."
A Parade of Elephants

"Five elephants march along the pages of Kevin Henkes's picture book, A PARADE OF ELEPHANTS. As they make their way..."
The Rough Patch

"In THE ROUGH PATCH, Evan's best friend is his dog, and they do everything together. Author and illustrator Brian Lies..."
Sunny's Tow Truck Saves the Day!

"SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY! is a delightful picture book about a family on their way to picnic who..."
Wintercake

"WINTERCAKE is a lovely picture book that celebrates friendship and the holiday spirit. Thomas is about to make a wintercake..."
Roar Like a Dandelion

"A unique alphabet book, ROAR LIKE A DANDELION is filled with instructional that are sure to spark some giggles. Each..."
The Bear and the Star

"THE BEAR AND THE STAR is an elegant, Christmas-style book. Bear knows that it is time and so he finds..."