Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1107
Summer Read Set in the South
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

The Last Time We Were Us by Leah Konen has such a catchy title and beautiful cover that I am sold on the book before I even turn a page. The story is set down South, which gives those unfamiliar with the particular lifestyle of sweet tea, small towns, and community galas, a taste of what it could be like. In many ways, the social structure in this novel, though set in present day, is a vague reminder of the damaging and restrictive nature of earlier times. In fact, I often found myself drawing comparisons to older books that explore these themes, such as Anna Karenina, which was initially written by Leo Tolstoy in 1875 Russia. The similarities between the two demonstrate how certain human behaviors, unfortunately in this case, have endured across both cultures and time.

Leah Konen does a really great job at capturing the teenage spirit. The desire to be popular, the fights between friends, the plans of preparation for senior year, all seem genuine. Without trivializing the characters in any way, the author also does not make them too mature, too intelligent, or too perfect either. This phenomenon of exceptionally developed teenagers seems to be the recent trend in young adult novels, which, in my opinion, detracts from the coming-of-age elements of the story. Konen pens great high schoolers who are still learning about life, but in many cases, can still teach the adults a thing or two.

I also love the instantaneous chemistry between Liz and Jason. Generally, I have to wait for the majority of a novel for a love story to play out and for the characters to develop feelings. Liz and Jason’s relationship is different, which makes it quite refreshing. However, since Jason’s character is developed primarily in a retrospective way, through Liz’s memories, I would have liked to know more about him now that he is out of jail.

The book itself is a quick read, as well as engaging, mysterious, and a lot of fun. My main problem with it, however, is how similar it is to the novel Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles. While enough of the details are different, the main plotlines follow analogous trajectories. The Last Time We Were Us is the less edgy, less dramatic version. With that being said, the book is still very enjoyable. It is set during the summer and perfect for carting along to the beach.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Goblin King (Permafrost, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)

0.0 (0)
Morrigan battles a new evil as a strange, frightening illness...
The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)

0.0 (0)
*AN INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER* From New York...
Among the Beasts and Briars

0.0 (0)
Ashley Poston, acclaimed author of Heart of Iron, returns...
Warriors of Wing and Flame (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Warriors of Wing and Flame, the spellbinding sequel...
Corona Daze: Eva's time at home during Covid-19

0.0 (0)
"Angel's artwork is an inspirational blend of photographic images and...
Fae's Prisoner (Crimes of the Fae)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Griffin O’Shea is a traitor. It’s what those outside...
The Mirror: Broken Wish (The Mirror, #1)

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Elva has a secret. She has visions and...
Swamp Thing: Twin Branches

0.0 (0)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Maggie Stiefvater (the...
Launch (Rise of the Anointed #1)

0.0 (0)
In the biblical stories, Samson had great strength. The prophet...
How to Catch a Yeti

0.0 (0)
From the New York Times and USA Today bestselling team...
Along Came a Fox

0.0 (0)
The perfect story to encourage children to treat others as...
Rosa's Big Pizza Experiment (Rosa's Workshop)

0.0 (0)
Follow Rosa and her friends as they prepare pizzas! Each...
The Other Side of Midnight

0.0 (0)
The sense of foreboding came out of nowhere. It was...
Light of Orion-Guardians of Orion Book 2

0.0 (0)
Evil is gathering strength. When she learns the truth, it...
Mark of Orion-Guardians of Orion Book 1

0.0 (0)
If you like sinister demons, warrior angels, supernatural powers, ancient...

Latest Member Reviews

The Cook and the King

"'The Cook and the King' by Julia Donaldson, illustrated by David Roberts, is a cute story that shows how working..."
Friends Stick Together (Walking with Dinosaurs)

"This book, ideal for young readers learning how to read, is a great addition for any dinosaur lover. With..."
A Face Like Glass

"In Caverna, lies are an art - and everyone's an artist.. Ever read one of those books, that..."
The Planet Thieves (The Planet Thieves #1)

"What I loved: Though marketed as a middle grade novel, do not let the age of the protagonists scare you..."
The Planet Thieves (The Planet Thieves #1)

"The Planet Thieves is a strong middle grade debut from author Dan Krokos. With it's intriguing premise and unique way..."
Foretold (The Demon Trappers #4)

"I have been waiting for this book for what seems like forever. After reading the third book and realizing..."
Foretold (The Demon Trappers #4)

"I'm a huge fan of THE DEMON TRAPPER'S DAUGHTER series. I was so excited to meet the author Jana..."
Girl, Stolen

"In reading Girl, Stolen, I was reminded of two bits of pop culture: Excess Baggage and Wait Until Dark. The..."
Girl, Stolen

"Girl, Stolen starts off with a jolt and continues its fast pace. Cheyenne, blind and very ill, is accidentally..."
A Face Like Glass

"ISBN: 9780230763500 Publisher: Macmillan Pages: 490 In Caverna, lies are an art - and everyone's an artist ...."
Just Shocking! (Just series)

"I couldn't stop laughing while reading this book. I just love Andy Griffiths books and jokes. Even though I'm nearly..."
Just Disgusting! (Just series)

"This book is soooooooooo funny, and of course, disgusting. This book is made up of short stories about something, someone..."
Girl, Stolen

"Reader reviewed by Julie M. Prince When Cheyenne Wilder finds herself being driven off in her parents' Escalade...without her parents,..."
The Bitterbynde Trilogy: The Ill-Made Mute

"Reader reviewed by Mairi When Grethet of Isse Tower finds the nameless youth his face is marred by paradox..."