Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1244
Underdog for the Win!
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Swan Boy by Nikki Sheehan made me incredibly angry. When the lead character, Johnny, moves with his family, he is forced to attend a new school. There, he becomes the fascination of the hall bully, Liam, and his cronies, Jonas and Lola. Together, they make it their duty to ruin Johnny’s life, not only by harassing him verbally, but also physically. Simply reading about the abuse and how it affects other areas of Johnny’s life is absolutely heartbreaking. While this particular situation may be fictional, there is no doubt that this kind of scenario happens in actuality around the world every single day.

Of course by choosing to write on this topic, it can be assumed that part of Sheehan’s goal is to horrify readers. It is when people get uncomfortable and upset that they start seeking out ways to prevent situations, such as Johnny’s, from occurring again. Hopefully by spreading awareness, those who are experiencing such treatment will know that they are not alone, and more importantly, we as a society can work towards bringing an end to fear mongering.

With that being said, Swan Boy champions the underdog. Johnny may be pushed around, but he will not be held down for long. He is a smart and talented young man and he soon harnesses courage from unexpected places. While at times he feels as though he has lost everything, he still finds a silver lining through dance. As he learns new skills, the story becomes inspiring and uplifting, drowning out the negative people. Therefore, the book really is more about Johnny coming into his own strength, which is exactly what makes it so poignant.

Consequently, while the story could easily be very dark and depressing, it is not. The author’s writing style is quite poetic in many moments, mimicking the fluidity and grace of dance. This stylistic choice helps to keep the tone as light as possible with such a subject matter. Additionally, the characters are so incredibly lovable, especially Mojo, Johnny’s five year old brother. Though Mojo too is dealing with emotional turmoil, he is so full of life! He loves to draw and play and jump around. He has an incredibly sweet and trusting relationship with his older brother that is very endearing.

Overall, Swan Boy is uniquely written, full of personality, and politically charged. It has the power to heal individuals who have faced similar circumstances and to hopefully evoke change, especially in those who stand by passively without intervening. Swan Boy is the wakeup call many need, delivered in the nicest way possible.
Good Points
"BILLY ELLIOT meets BLACK SWAN."
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Displacement

0.0 (0)
A teenager is pulled back in time to witness her...
Wild Week

0.0 (0)
Lift the flaps to discover what goes on in the...
Finding Balance

0.0 (0)
Jase Ellison doesnt remember having acute lymphocytic leukemia when he...
The Zombie Queen

0.0 (0)
When Tandi rescued Tamara from her evil Vampire Queen...
They Wish They Were Us

0.0 (0)
Gossip Girl meets One of Us Is Lying with...
Chasing Starlight

0.0 (0)
Movies, mansions, and murder in the Golden Age of...
The Black Kids

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of The Hate U Give, this...
Dating Makes Perfect

0.0 (0)
The Tech sisters don’t date in high school. Not...
The Dark Tide

0.0 (0)
A gripping, dark LGBT YA fantasy about two girls...
Shoes aka My Life

0.0 (0)
It's Avery's senior year in high school, and she has...
Peppermint Post

0.0 (0)
'Twas the night before Christmas, when the North Pole's Peppermint...
Stolen from the Studio (Case Closed, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lauren Magaziner’s hilarious and high-stakes middle grade series gets a...
Pleasant Grove

0.0 (0)
What's outside Pleasant Grove? Welcome to Pleasant...
The Wizenard Series: Season One

0.0 (0)
Reggie has never felt destined for greatness. He dreams about...
My High School Rebel Boyfriend

0.0 (0)
He’s a rebel with a cause… to make my...
TURBO Racers: Escape Velocity

0.0 (0)
The Fast and the Furious meets Transformers in the second...

Latest Member Reviews

Displacement

"DISPLACEMENT is a fascinating graphic novel that transports the main character and the reader to the 1940s internment/incarceration of Americans..."
Finding Balance

"FINDING BALANCE is a YA contemporary romance that follows Mari and Jase. Mari had osteogenic sarcoma when she was 10..."
The Faithless Hawk (The Merciful Crow, #2)

"THE FAITHLESS HAWK is one of my favorite reads of 2020. I laughed, I sighed, I cried, and this book..."
Dating Makes Perfect

"DATING MAKES PERFECT is a beautifully written YA contemporary romance that had me grinning from ear-to-ear. Winnie has two older..."
Chasing Starlight

"WHAT I LOVED: We think of the glitz, glamorous mega-stars, and classic movies when we think of the Golden Age..."
The Night Country (The Hazel Wood #2)

"Alice Proserpine thought she was mostly back to “normal” life after breaking from her story in the Hinterland, but when..."
Everything I Thought I Knew

"What worked: Intriguing plot of Chloe, a seventeen-year-old super-achiever, who ends up collapsing during her senior year in high school..."
The Adventurers Guild: Night of Dangers

"THE ADVENTURERS GUILD: NIGHT OF DANGERS by Zack Loran Clark and Nick Eliopulos is the culmination of a Middle Grade..."
The Pros of Cons

"WHAT I LOVED: I genuinely can't imagine four different events happening simultaneously in the same complex, but it happens..."
BRB I'm Going to Disneyland

"'BRB: I'm Going to Disneyland' by Courtney Carbone is a cute, quick read. As a novel written in texts, emails,..."
He Must Like You

"'He Must Like You' by Danielle Younge-Ullman is an intensely provocative look at the various ways in which consent, upset,..."
How the Stars Came to Be

"Reviewed for YA Books Central Beautiful in every aspect. The book: This is a story about how the..."
Unscripted

"A book so real it can be u comfortable at times. The story: Zelda doesn’t have a..."
The Dark Tide

"THE DARK TIDE is an enthralling and atmospheric YA fantasy read. We follow Lina, a townsperson, and Eva, the witch..."
Where Dreams Descend

"What worked: Beautifully written tale where a girl performer breaks away from her cage and enters a competition of magicians..."
The Black Kids

"THE BLACK KIDS is a really poignant read that ties history to the present. Ashley is a senior in high..."
What Goes Up

"'What Goes Up' by Christine Heppermann is a quick read, as it is a novel-in-verse, a format that can be..."
They Wish They Were Us

"THEY WISH THEY WERE US is an engaging YA thriller reminiscent of GOSSIP GIRLS. The book follows Jill, who had..."
Roaring

"ROARING takes place in the 1920s- with a twist. Monsters, sirens, minotaurs, basilisks, and more, exist, and they are woven..."
More Than Just a Pretty Face

"MORE THAN JUST A PRETTY FACE is a fantastic YA contemporary romance that follows Danyal during his senior year of..."