Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 4582
Perfect Summer Companion
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Two Summers, not the sweet, contemporary I thought it would be--but nonetheless charming and entertaining.

Summer has two possibilities for summer: Fly off to Paris to be with her artist father, or stay home with her outspoken, "Here's to the summer of love," bestie Ruby. Two possibilities, similar endings.

What I liked: The two alternate realities--the one where she goes to Paris, and the one where she stays home. I really liked the idea of being able to see both sides of the coin. Especially in a scenario like this one, where we would wonder what would happen if she decided to stay, or go, and were only left with one side of the story.

Paris: I don't know what it is because I don't have an explanation but a few years back I became obsessed with all things Paris. My entire bedroom because a shrine of sorts to Paris (and London, which I also fell in love with at the same time.) It's just something about the idea of the place that sets my heart a flutter, so having that as the story's backdrop--was a dream come true of sorts.

Hugh: I love the shy, blushing guy, in YA. I think it's adorable and pleasantly different--when the guy is the one that's unsure of himself in love. It's adorable to me. I would have liked to have gotten to know Hugh more, but just knowing the direction his character is going in will have to be satisfactory enough. I have high hopes for him.

The realistic family dynamic: Summer's parents are divorced. The Mom is in NY and the dad is pretty much all over the world, but mostly in Paris, France. I liked that they didn't make them hate each other but there was a realistic resistance coming from Mama bear. That made the story that much more real for me.

What I Didn't Like: I just didn't feel invested in the characters, sure I felt for them, and was pleased by the story--but I wasn't connected. It's funny how that usually doesn't work for me, but here it kind of didn't matter.

All in all it was an interesting, and entertaining story--one great for summer reading. I won't be standing on the tops of any mountains shouting about it but I do recommend it. It's a nice albeit not as light as I imagined, YA contemporary.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account