Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1006
A Riveting Ride through Sophomore Year
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

NO USE FOR A NAME by Penelope Wright is the author’s debut contemporary young adult novel about fifteen-year-old “Baby” Anderson and her tumultuous sophomore year of high school.

The book opens with Baby going to get her driver’s permit and discovering that she has been called “Baby” her whole life because her parents forgot to actually give her a name. Thus begins Baby’s quest to find a name, define her view of family, and find her place in life.

NO USE FOR A NAME has excellent pacing, great tension, and some sweetness and humor mixed in for good measure. The language is strong—as necessitated by the subject matter—and there are some scenes that make the book more appropriate for older YA readers.

Baby and her cousin and best friend, Kaia, are multidimensional characters, and their escapades range from typical teenage fun (visiting the ice cream shop at the mall repeatedly because a cute boy works there) to somewhat typical poor choices (sneaking out after bedtime). The girls are likeable and relateable, and readers will be rooting for both to successfully sort out their myriad of problems. Some of the secondary characters are stereotypes, and the book starts with an improbable scenario (can you really get a drivers permit at age fifteen without a parent present?) and includes some others that would have made me pause in a less riveting book, but the constant drama and action had me flipping pages to race to the end rather than stopping to critique some of the scenarios.

This is a book that will give teens with dysfunctional backgrounds a heroine to whom they can relate, and all teens should appreciate the realistic look at high school relationships and challenges.
Good Points
Excellent pacing and tension

A strong and compelling protagonist
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Displacement

0.0 (0)
A teenager is pulled back in time to witness her...
Wild Week

0.0 (0)
Lift the flaps to discover what goes on in the...
Finding Balance

0.0 (0)
Jase Ellison doesnt remember having acute lymphocytic leukemia when he...
The Zombie Queen

0.0 (0)
When Tandi rescued Tamara from her evil Vampire Queen...
They Wish They Were Us

0.0 (0)
Gossip Girl meets One of Us Is Lying with...
Chasing Starlight

0.0 (0)
Movies, mansions, and murder in the Golden Age of...
The Black Kids

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of The Hate U Give, this...
Dating Makes Perfect

0.0 (0)
The Tech sisters don’t date in high school. Not...
The Dark Tide

0.0 (0)
A gripping, dark LGBT YA fantasy about two girls...
Shoes aka My Life

0.0 (0)
It's Avery's senior year in high school, and she has...
Peppermint Post

0.0 (0)
'Twas the night before Christmas, when the North Pole's Peppermint...
Stolen from the Studio (Case Closed, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lauren Magaziner’s hilarious and high-stakes middle grade series gets a...
Pleasant Grove

0.0 (0)
What's outside Pleasant Grove? Welcome to Pleasant...
The Wizenard Series: Season One

0.0 (0)
Reggie has never felt destined for greatness. He dreams about...
My High School Rebel Boyfriend

0.0 (0)
He’s a rebel with a cause… to make my...
TURBO Racers: Escape Velocity

0.0 (0)
The Fast and the Furious meets Transformers in the second...

Latest Member Reviews

Against All Silence (An SOS Thriller)

"E.C.Myers does not disappoint in this sequel to The Silence of Six.Just like SOS #1 this book is action packed,..."
Quantum Coin (Coin #2)

"Originally posted on my blog, A Reader of Fictions: http://readeroffictions.blogspot.com/2012/09/review-quantum-coin.html Obviously, you should be cautious reading this review unless..."
Fair Coin

"From the start of Fair Coin I was enamored with Ephraim. He made this book for me. Here is a..."
Fair Coin

"Who wouldn't want a magic coin that would grant wishes? I mean, even though pop culture (Fair Coin included) tells..."
Fair Coin

"A surprising read. It wasn't what I expected and I mean that in a good way. It is true that..."
Fair Coin

JenJen
"The summary of this book doesn't really do it justice because the plot is much more involved and layered, similar..."