Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1095
a diverse, true-to-life read
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

What I Loved:
Some books, you can churn a review out for right after finishing them if reviewing stuff is your jam. Others need a little more time. Rules for 50/50 Chances needed to sit in my brain and cook for three months before I found any words for it. It happens! That’s not a bad thing, though. It’s a book that you should take your time with and appreciate.

Though the book isn’t 100% romance, the romance is one of the best things about the book. It’s not super swoony if that’s what you’re looking for. In fact, Caleb and Rose fight quite a bit over the course of the book. What gets me is how real it feels. For all I know, a couple like Caleb and Rose went to high school with me and I missed it while being oblivious! Their nicknames for each other (he calls her HD, she calls him Sickle Cell) is adorable in a morbid sort of way that works without being pretentious.

Rose’s love of ballet and dancing in general was fabulous, which makes her position that much more terrifying. She goes to ballet, puts in her hardest work in order to have a future as a professional dancer, and goes home to see what Huntington’s has done to her mother–and what it will do to Rose herself later in life if she has the gene. It’s a 50/50 chance, as the title says, and that makes planning for the future hard on Rose. Even with this dark cloud hanging over the head of her and her family, there are still good times. McGovern does a wonderful job depicting all the difficulties and small joys if life in a family wherein someone is debilitated by illness.

What Left Me Wanting:
However, it’s not the most compelling book. It took me twelve days to read for no reason other than the story’s inability to make me want to come back for more very quickly. Rose is a difficult narrator to get the story through as well; she’s very selfish and rarely looks or treats her mother like a human being. She is called out for that, thank goodness! The ending is a bit of a letdown as well, but I can’t deny it’s a natural ending. It didn’t go the way I wanted, but it did right by the characters and Rose’s growth as a person.

Final Verdict:
Reminiscent of The Fault in Our Stars but much more down-to-earth, Rules for 50/50 Chances is a good choice if you want a diverse, true-to-life read. It may take a little longer to read than the average book, but you’re unlikely to regret the read. Sure, you might not choose to reread it, but what you get from the one read is worthwhile and will stick around. You’ll look back on it fondly.
Good Points
*morbidly cute
*John Green-esque but BETTER
*refreshingly real and complicated romance
*well-written conflict for Rose
*wonderfully depicts the small joys and difficulties in families affected by incurable illnesses
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Meanwhile

0.0 (0)
Celebrate 10 years of this completely original graphic novel take...
Grant Beagan: The Finder's Code

0.0 (0)
He’s just an ordinary teenager who likes astronomy, video games,...
Fisher- Price Fun in the Jungle: Explore, Touch, and Feel

0.0 (0)
Children will love exploring the different textures in this playful...
Glitter Globes: The Night Before Christmas

0.0 (0)
On the night before Christmas, all over the house, not...
Belinda Fellgate: HellCat

0.0 (0)
A contemporary teen fantasy about an inept 14-year-old girl who...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling author...
Music for Tigers

0.0 (0)
Shipped halfway around the world to spend the summer...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. ...
Kingdom of Ice and Bone (The Frozen Sun Saga, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lira and Reyker have lost everything. Including each other....
Sword of the Seven Sins

0.0 (0)
Eva Marteinn never wanted to be a killer. Raised...
Things That Should Stay Buried

0.0 (0)
Some destinies are written in the stars. Others must...
How It All Blew Up

0.0 (0)
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda goes to Italy...
Horrid

0.0 (0)
From the author of You Must Not Miss comes...
Tsalix Silverthorn and the Scepter of Destiny

0.0 (0)
The latest phenomenal work from New York Times Bestselling author...
The Adventures of Bubba Jones (#4): Time Traveling Through Grand Canyon National Park

0.0 (0)
In the fourth book of this award-winning national park series,...
The Companion

0.0 (0)
The other orphans say Margot is lucky. Lucky to...

Latest Member Reviews

The Thing Lou Couldn't Do

"The first thing that occurred to me when I read this book was how much I could relate to the..."
The Storm

"To be honest, I paid very little attention to the text the first time I read The Storm—I was transfixed..."
The Bus Ride

"A seemingly simple trip to grandma's becomes magical and wondrous in THE BUS RIDE by Marianne Dubuc. A..."
Scaredy Squirrel Prepares for Christmas

"My first introduction to Scaredy Squirrel is sweet and too brief, much like the holiday season. This guidebook gives examples..."
Toads on Toast

"This is a fun story destined to be a favorite on many a bookshelf. Fox is determined to try the..."
Binky Takes Charge (Binky)

"Our household loves Binky! Binky is one serious cat who feels he's responsible to save his humans from the..."
Motion, Magnets and More

"My eldest son cannot get enough Science. So, this book is HUGE hit in our household. He..."
Vote FOR ME!

"This book is coming out at the perfect time! Politics are what most people are talking about right now,..."
The Island Horse

JenJen
"This is a well written story combining both fact and fiction emphasizing the healing effects horses can have on people..."
The Pirate Girl's Treasure

"I loved the importance of the illustrations in this book. Each page cleverly included origami in some way. ..."
Reaching

"This is a lovely picture book. A large, diverse family is beautifully illustrated, all showing love in various ways to..."
Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week

"Jasper John Dooley can't wait to be the Star of the Week at school. He gets to star in a..."
Larf

"Larf is a private, vegetarian introvert who knows he's different from anyone else and likes it that way. He's a..."
A Hen for Izzy Pippik

"When Shaina finds a beautiful hen, her mother and grandfather want to have the hen for dinner. Times are hard,..."
Faith: Five Religions and What They Share

"I wish I had FAITH: FIVE RELIGIONS AND WHAT THEY SHARE when my students were doing their first research project..."
Dear Flyary

"This adorable book about little alien Frazzle and his first Model 7 is a fun read for all ages. ..."
Virginia Wolf

"When I opened this book, I was simply blown away by the gorgeous illustrations. The illustrations help to set..."
Tales of Prehistoric Life; Ankylosaur Attack

"This book is a great ready for children who love dinosaurs. It is not only an interesting read, but..."
The Busy Beaver

"This book is a wonderful way to discuss taking your time and thinking of others with young children. Beaver..."
Ninja Cowboy Bear Presents; The Call of the Cowboy

"What a fun, yet great learning experience, book to read! Cowboy has to learn to be quiet sometimes and..."