Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1021
Fun Summer Read
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

"The Taming of the Drew" by Stephanie Kate Strohm is a quick, fun summer read. Cass, our lead character, has been cast as Kate in the SAD production of "The Taming of the Shrew." SAD stands for Shakespeare at Dunmoor, an apprentice program for young actors. Cass enjoys most of the other actors in her ensemble with the exception of Drew, a guy who can match her rude and obnoxious nature. Amy, Cass' new friend, falls for Drew, and they, along with their roommate Heidi, decide to tame Drew the same way Petruchio tames Kate. What ensues are pranks, hijinks, and summer fluffies.

The characters in this book follow theater geek archetypes, but are allowed to have extra personality. There are numerous references to older pop culture and theater, so this book is best placed into the hands of a tween or teen that either gets them or who can follow up later on. Despite the references, this definitely has a place in the young adult section for all those who are theater geeks or are looking for a fun, easy summer read.

This book has a hate-love romance alongside a love triangle. While I normally detest tsundere* characters, I will make an exception for Cass. While the characters don't really grow or evolve much in the course of this novel, I could see Cass' feelings unfold on paper in a really nature way. Unlike most love triangles, I ended up rooting for the canon couple.

If you are looking for a summer breeze to read, look no further than "The Taming of the Drew."

*(Japanese term for a character who is rude or cold before showing a warmer side to their love interests)
Good Points
Fun and quick. Great for summer!
Can be easily read by middle graders.
Extra points if you love theater.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Fisher- Price Fun in the Jungle: Explore, Touch, and Feel

0.0 (0)
Children will love exploring the different textures in this playful...
Glitter Globes: The Night Before Christmas

0.0 (0)
On the night before Christmas, all over the house, not...
Belinda Fellgate: HellCat

0.0 (0)
A contemporary teen fantasy about an inept 14-year-old girl who...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling author...
Music for Tigers

0.0 (0)
Shipped halfway around the world to spend the summer...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. ...
Kingdom of Ice and Bone (The Frozen Sun Saga, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lira and Reyker have lost everything. Including each other....
Sword of the Seven Sins

0.0 (0)
Eva Marteinn never wanted to be a killer. Raised...
Things That Should Stay Buried

0.0 (0)
Some destinies are written in the stars. Others must...
How It All Blew Up

0.0 (0)
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda goes to Italy...
Horrid

0.0 (0)
From the author of You Must Not Miss comes...
Tsalix Silverthorn and the Scepter of Destiny

0.0 (0)
The latest phenomenal work from New York Times Bestselling author...

Latest Member Reviews

The Girl and the Ghost

"5 Reasons to Read THE GIRL AND THE GHOST 1.) Beautiful prose- This was my first time..."
Cuddle Close, Little Koala

"CUDDLE CLOSE, LITTLE KOALA is a sweet story of the special connection between mother and child. Little Koala is lost..."
I'm not a Mouse!

"I'M NOT A MOUSE! is a cute picture book about nicknames. Olivia's mother always calls her mouse, and she doesn't..."
Sal and Gabi Fix the Universe

"Sal and Gabi are back for another multiverse adventure in this follow up to SAL AND GABI BREAK THE UNIVERSE...."
Lone Wolf

"LONE WOLF is an adorable picture book about belonging and family. Maple loves her family, reading with Avery, playing tug-of-war..."
One Hug

"ONE HUG is a lovely picture book celebrating familial love. The rhyming text talks about the many types of hugs,..."
The Bold, Brave Bunny

"THE BOLD, BRAVE BUNNY is a lovely picture book about Teetu, the bunny who is sick of all the bunnies...."
Daniel Coldstar #2: The Betrayer

"Copy provided by Young Adult Books Central After the evens in The Relic War, Daniel, Jasper the..."
The Ghost in Apartment 2R

"Danny's family lives in a two bedroom apartment in Brooklyn. The family has struggled financially, with his filmmaker father doing..."
Little Tigers

"After hearing humans and their dogs nearby, Mother Tiger knows it's time for them to find somewhere safer to live...."
Cog
Cog

"Cog looks like an ordinary twelve year old boy, but he is an advanced android that the scientists at uniMind..."
One Speck of Truth

"Alma knows that if good girls were girls with no questions, she wasn't a good girl. She has SO MANY..."
New Adventures Story Box (Peppa Pig)

"The NEW ADVENTURES STORY BOX is an affordable Peppa Pig collection. It contains six books in the set: Learning to..."
Scream Site

"After reading Justina Ireland's YA, Dread Nation, which has a solid amount of scare, I was ecstatic to pick up..."
The Lost Girl

"What I Loved: While there are many things to love about THE LOST GIRL, my personal favorite is how..."
The Strangers (The Greystone Secrets #1)

"The Greystone kids have a good life, even if their father died when they were all very young. Chess remembers..."
Gittel's Journey: An Ellis Island Story

"Gittel’s Journey tells the story of a brave young Jewish girl immigrating to the United States from Easter Europe, all..."
8 Notes to a Nobody (Bird Face book one)

"This is the first book in Cynthia T. Toney’s Birdface series which follows Wendy, a young Louisiana teen, through her..."
8 Notes to a Nobody (Bird Face book one)

"The main character, Wendy, is realistic and sympathetically portrayed, so much so that the book drew me in and transported..."
The Sloth Who Slowed Us Down

"Amy's family rushes for everything. "They walked fast, drove fast, shopped fast, and ate fast." This upsets Amy because there..."