Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1034
Haunting and Distinctive Writing
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I love this author's writing - beautiful, haunting, distinctive. Vivid descriptions and evoking feelings in the reader? This author can accomplish more with one sentence than others with a whole page.

How do I describe this story? It contains anywhere from one to three unreliable narrators, dark fairy tale moments, startling plot developments, tarot cards, tea leaves, strawberries, lazy summer days, and characters that are charming, eccentric, and frequently surprising.

It's my policy to never give away spoilers - so I'll just say if you enjoy books with a strange, magical, almost lyrical storyline that pull you to another world, this is your book. I was completely enthralled.

I received a digital ARC from Penguin First to Read in exchange for an honest review.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)

0.0 (0)
In this riveting, keenly emotional debut fantasy, a Black teen...
You Say It First

0.0 (0)
One conversation can change everything. Meg has her entire...
My High School Royal Boyfriend

0.0 (0)
ALEX A tragedy at Langley Estate puts my family...
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Clark thought he knew what grief was. Addie thought...
Tales from the Hinterland

0.0 (0)
A gorgeously illustrated collection of twelve “lush and deliciously...
Sisters of Shadow and Light

0.0 (0)
From the acclaimed author of Defy, Sara B. Larson,...
In the Penalty Box

0.0 (0)
Willow Figure skating was supposed to be my whole...
Unchosen

0.0 (0)
Katharyn Blair crafts a fiercely feminist fantasy with a horrifying...
Miracle Girl

0.0 (0)
Leanne Strong hates June eighth even though it's supposed to...
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Rosie Singer’s mom is missing whatever it is that...
Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke

0.0 (0)
On October 2nd, 1977, Glenn Burke, outfielder for the Los...
The Elephant in the Room

0.0 (0)
It's been almost a year since Sila's mother traveled halfway...
Alone in the Woods

0.0 (0)
Jocelyn and Alex have always been best friends...until they aren't....
Disaster Days

0.0 (0)
Hannah Steele loves living on Pelling, a tiny island near...
Wild River

0.0 (0)
Daniel Redmayne is fast asleep on the first night of...
The Last Hurrah

0.0 (0)
3 nights, 2 days, and 1 massive music fest ....

Latest Member Reviews

The Reader

""The Reader" is an intriguing YA fantasy that follows a girl named Sefia. Her parents hid her in a secret..."
A Problematic Paradox

" Nikola Kross is a bit of a social outcast, and her guidance conselour (whom she calls "Ms. Hiccup") advises..."
The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave #1) - Rick Yancey

"This book was a thrill ride! We start with Cassie. She's lost her mother in the 3rd way and her..."
The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn #1)

"This story is about the Caliph of Khorasan; Khalid, he marries a girl every night only to have her executed..."

"4.4 out of 5 stars! An amazing debut novel by author Renee Ahdieh. Filled with mesmerizing characters and a unique..."
The Matchstick Castle

"Brian's father has an opportunity to work with a telescope at the South Pole, adn since his mother is dead,..."
The Reader

"For a long time, Sefia has only had her aunt, Nin. Ever since her father was murdered, they have been..."

"This post-apocalyptic novel takes places in Dayton, Ohio following a wave of alien invasions that has devastated the Earth’s population..."

"Renee Ahdieh’s debut novel was experienced through a haze of excitement, joy, shock, horror and astonishment. It was one of..."
The Infinite Sea (The Fifth Wave #2)

"This book was a great sequel. I already loved the first book and this was also amazing. Although I forgot..."

"“We women are a sad lot, aren't we?" "What do you mean?" "Strong enough to take on the world with..."

"This was a good book. At first I was reluctant to read this book, but once I got started, I..."

"When Shahrzad’s dearest friend becomes a victim to the the murderous ways of the boy-king Khalid, she vows revenge. Each..."

"Review: Do you ever find yourself wishing for a book to turn into a person so you can marry..."
Pointe

"Just after I read Pointe I had a family emergency that took me away from home for a few weeks...."
Cold Fury

"MY THOUGHTS I piked this book up sort of impulsively at a cheap used book sale. I didn't really know..."

"MY THOUGHTS I stayed up late reading this book, unwilling to put it down, only to make it to..."

"YA Fantasy, THE WRATH AND THE DAWN is an awesome title for an amazing book, but more importantly, it is..."

"If you’re looking for a book that gets right down to business from page one, drop everything because The Wrath..."
The Shadow Cabinet (Shades of London #3)

"MY THOUGHTS I read an ARC copy of The Madness Underneath back in late 2012. Imagine the pain when I..."