Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1711
We Were Never Here
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Sixteen-year-old Lizzie Stroller's life suddenly changes when a severe stomach pain lands her in the hospital. After being in a cancer unit, she fears the worse. Nothing prepares her though for an illness she never heard of. While there, she falls for the mysterious cute volunteer who comes to visit her with his dog. Conner helps her forget the pain, embarrassment of her illness but he has his own secrets.

What worked: Gilmore does a great job showing a teen who suffers from ulcerative colitis. The pain, embarrassment of finding out she has to wear a ileostomy bag as she doesn't have a colon, and the whole awkwardness that people show around those who end up seriously sick. **She even nailed that brilliant but jerky doctor. You know the one without any bedside manners.

There's even a little THE FAULT IN OUR STARS feel that takes place inside the hospital. Nothing over the top but readers get brief glimpses into relationships that occur within a hospital, which include a romantic interest.

The strength of this novel isn't the romance but rather Lizzie's journey from finding out about her illness to dealing with it. These are shown in very authentic details.

What I did have issues with had to be Connor. I get that he's cute and being that guy at the hospital who can appear all caring(plus he gets brownie points for having a dog). What didn't work for me is how he lied so much. He came across as being a jerk and manipulative. He even mentions how he knows Lizzie really is helping him and not the other way around. Plus, his revelation made it very hard to like him at all.

The novel touches on romance but it happens so fast that it was really hard to connect with them.

But that's just my opinion.

I did like the other relationships in the novel like Stella, who helps train dogs. Her hardcore appearance hides how smart, caring she really is. Those scenes with her and Izzie worked.

Heartbreaking and realistic portrayal of a girl's journey from finding out about her serious illness to trusting in her heart.
Good Points
1. Realistic portrayal of a teen dealing with a health issue
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Bluebird

0.0 (0)
In 1946, Eva leaves behind the rubble of Berlin for...
Merci Suárez Can't Dance

0.0 (0)
Seventh grade is going to be a real trial...
When You Know What I Know

0.0 (0)
This harrowing, and ultimately hopeful novel in verse sensitively...
Between Perfect and Real

0.0 (0)
A moving YA debut about a trans boy finding...
The Cost of Knowing

0.0 (0)
Dear Martin meets They Both Die at the End...
Gold Spun

0.0 (0)
If Nor can't spin gold, she can always spin...

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Dayna Walsh is struggling to cope with her somatic...
Small Favors

0.0 (0)
Ellerie Downing is waiting for something to happen. Life...
If You Go Down to the Woods Today (Brown Bear Wood)

0.0 (0)
Journey through a magical woodland, with poems to read and...
Bunny Will Not Jump!: Ready-to-Read Level 1

0.0 (0)
From the endless imagination of Jason Tharp comes a hilarious...
Milo's Christmas Parade

0.0 (0)
A new picture book from Jennie Palmer starring Milo, a...
Slow Down: 50 Mindful Moments in Nature

0.0 (0)
Slow down to watch 50 nature stories that command calm...
Once Upon A Pizza: Eight Crazy Ways Pizza Wasn't Really Invented, And One It Might Have Been

0.0 (0)
Everyone loves pizza, but how was it invented? ...
A Kid's Guide to Fandom: Exploring Fan-Fic, Cosplay, Gaming, Podcasting, and More in the Geek World!

0.0 (0)
Help young fans get in touch with their inner geeks...
Awaken    Book 1 The A'vean Chronicles

0.0 (0)
SOME PEOPLE AREN'T DESTINED TO BE ORDINARY. With a...
Pipsqueaks, Slowpokes, and Stinkers: Celebrating Animal Underdogs

0.0 (0)
Underdogs, unite! Celebrated nonfiction author Melissa Stewart offers young readers...

Latest Member Reviews

Bluebird

"It's 1946 and Eva leaves behind destroyed Berlin for New York City. Eva carries a deadly secret. One that others..."
Incendiary (Hollow Crown #1)

"INCENDIARY is an intriguing YA fantasy with rebellion, magic, and intrigue. Renata was stolen from her parents as a child..."
Love and Other Sins

"Read it in one sitting and can’t wait to read the next one!!"

"This was definitely an interesting book. I really enjoyed all of the witchy aspects of the book! It starts off..."
Small Favors

"SMALL FAVORS is a compelling, spooky, and atmospheric YA fantasy/horror that keeps the reader guessing. Ellerie is a young woman..."
Sidelined

"Julian is looking forward to his senior year in Meridien, Texas. He wants to play football and hopefully get scouted..."
Spectacle

"WHAT I LOVED: Nathalie Baudin is an extraordinary girl even before she discovers her psychometric abilities. She’s just sixteen,..."
Somewhere Only We Know

"Everything I know about K-pop comes from thirsty Twitter fancams, what has made it into the American mainstream, and an..."
A Song Below Water

"WHAT I LOVED: Tavia and Effie’s world is ours with just a little myth-made-real on top. The Hart family..."
Tin Heart

"WHAT I LOVED: Marlowe has spent much of her life living on the edge of death thanks to a..."
Off the Record

"Content warnings: rape, sexual harassment, sexual abuse Once upon a time, I had an ambition to become a journalist...."
The Hawthorne Legacy (The Inheritance Games, 2)

"What I Loved: THE HAWTHORNE LEGACY, a sequel to THE INHERITANCE GAMES, is a book full of intrigue and mystery..."
The Cost of Knowing

"THE COST OF KNOWING is a heartbreaking and beautiful read about family, fate, and racism. After losing his parents and..."
Curses

"* I received an eARC of this book through Edelweiss+ for an honest review* “When..."
Between Perfect and Real

"BETWEEN PERFECT AND REAL is a heartfelt read about finding yourself and coming out. Dean knows that he is a..."
You Were Made for Me

"YOU WERE MADE FOR ME is a comedic YA contemporary/magical read about two friends, Katie and Libby, who somewhat accidentally..."
What I Like about Me

"WHAT I LIKE ABOUT ME is a charming and comical YA contemporary read that tackles some important themes. Maisie is..."
Yolk

"YOLK is an intriguing coming-of-age read that tackles, illness, mental illness, eating disorders, and unhealthy relationships. The story is told..."
When You Know What I Know

"'When You Know What I Know' by Sonja K. Solter is a beautiful story of a girl who is soul-searching..."
Better Together

"'Better Together' by Christine Riccio weaves together two well-known and engaging stories—that of 'The Parent Trap' and 'Freaky Friday'. When..."