Not Okay Cupid Featured
Young Adult Fiction 2200
NOT OKAY, CUPID
(Updated: February 28, 2016)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Hazel has everything going for her until she catches her so-called BFF with her boyfriend. What's a girl to do? Then her former BFF's brother Felix comes up with a plan to get revenge. The plan is almost perfect until Hazel feels a strong attraction to Felix. Now she has to make a choice between revenge or going with her heart.

What works: I'm a huge fan of Kling's. NOT OKAY CUPID is a lighter change from her edgier PAINT MY BODY RED. Fast-paced sweet romance that has a 80s movie feel going for it. Think modern SIXTEEN CANDLES.

I also love how readers see both points of view. We see not only Hazel's reaction to the betrayal of her boyfriend(seriously, what so-called best friend would suck face with her friend's boyfriend RIGHT before Valentine's Day? I hated Kimmy right from the start.) We also see inside the mind of Felix who isn't as shallow as Hazel and others think.

Kuddos for the banter that had me giggling more than a few times. The text and email exchanges also give readers insight into Hazel and Felix's growing relationship.

Loved Hazel's mother. Even with her quirkiness with following the latest health fads? She seems very loving and concerned about Hazel's plight.

There's also an awkward scene when Hazel does get an invite to the Valentine's Dance. I only thought what would happen if no-one got invited? But this scene and her reaction work really well.

Fast-past sweet romance that has a perfect plan of revenge turn on it's head. Fun banter exchanges and with an ending reminiscent of the Taylor Swift song YOU BELONG TO ME meets SIXTEEN CANDLES.
Good Points
1. Fun banter between Hazel and Felix
2. Light, sweet romance
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Instant Karma

0.0 (0)
In New York Times bestselling author Marissa Meyer's young adult...
Put Yourself in My Shoes

0.0 (0)
When Cricket goes for a walk, he finds Ladybug searching...
Selma

0.0 (0)
Selma is asked: What is happiness? ...
Benjamin's Blue Feet

0.0 (0)
A young bird with a flair for discovery and invention...
Pocket Piggies: I Love You!

0.0 (0)
What’s the best thing in the world? I...
Everything Under the Sun

0.0 (0)
Sun’s Reach is in dire peril. The last...
Lizzy Albright and the Attic Window

0.0 (0)
Lizzy Albright, a red-headed, freckle-faced girl from Overland Park, Kansas,...
Send Me Their Souls (Bring Me Their Hearts, #3)

0.0 (0)
There are worse things than death. ...
The Walrus and the Caribou

0.0 (0)
When the earth was new, words had the power to...
The Elephant's Umbrella

0.0 (0)
Elephant is always ready and willing to share her prized...
Calvin Gets the Last Word

0.0 (0)
The dictionary as narrator? YES! ...
Goblin King (Permafrost, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...

Latest Member Reviews

"The insatiable oasis will hunt down the thieves of this book and tear them apart, limb by limb, devouring their..."
All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)

"ALL THE STARS AND TEETH is an imaginative and lush YA fantasy that transports the reader to a fascinating new..."
Symptoms of a Heartbreak

"I started out reading an ARC of Symptoms of a Heartbreak, but then I switched to reading a hardcover in..."
A Dream So Dark (A Blade So Black #2)

"*This review contains spoilers for book one, A BLADE SO BLACK* A DREAM SO DARK, sequel to A BLADE..."
Winner Take All

"The phrases “beautiful disaster” and “bad romance” but NOT the well-known novels that use those phrases for their titles. Five..."
The Wicker King

"K. Ancrum’s debut novel, The Wicker King, offers a glimpse into the unraveling of the human psyche. August..."
The Lovely Reckless

"Frankie's life has turned upside down since seeing her boyfriend killed. She can't remember who did it and she can't..."
The Lovely Reckless

"Kami Garcia has done it again! This book is every bit as addictive as all her other ones, and yet..."