Beware the Wild Featured
Young Adult Fiction 2422
Spine-Tingling
(Updated: February 02, 2016)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Set in Louisiana in an ultra small-town (with the rather tongue-in-cheek name of ‘Sticks’), this YA urban fantasy presents with memorable characters and a deliciously eerie bayou ambiance.

Ever since they were children surviving the abuse of their alcoholic father, Sterling has always relied on her older brother, Phin. So when Phin announces he’s going off to college, Sterling rails against his “abandonment” the only way she knows how. Her passive but dangerous self-neglect incites a fight between them, and Phin takes off into the sinister swamp that everyone in town knows you should never enter. While waiting for her brother’s reemergence, Sterling instead witnesses a girl walk out of the swamp and straight into the life that Phin once held. The mysterious Lenora May replaces all traces of Phin in an instant—including everyone’s memories of him. Everyone, that is, except for Sterling. Determined to get her brother back, she is aided by her deeply skeptical best friend, and a troubled boy from her high school class who has good reason to believe her story…

What I Liked:

While the Southern gothic theme bears some resemblance to Beautiful Creatures, the prose is smoother, tighter, and all around more pleasant as an experience. Parker’s characterization of both people and settings paints a vividly immersive mental picture, effectively conveying the good, the bad, and the creepy—all with a cadence one could almost equate to a literary dance. Her voice is uncommon and promising. And the first-person present-tense telling (solely from Sterling’s POV) was the least obtrusive I’ve come across in recent memory.

This reader VERY much appreciated the book’s nuanced depiction of anorexia. Unlike with some YA where the characters essentially become their mental illness, it was shown as a persisting and comprehensive flaw—more a passive mode of control rather than an active fixation on weight or body image. Sterling’s abusive past with her alcoholic father and unhealthy co-dependency on her brother culminate into to reverse of acting out: a willful negligence and disinterest. But her family and friends are anything but passive over the issue. Her support structure is refreshingly strong, caring, and observant—in spite of her unfortunate childhood background.

On a similar note, I rather enjoyed the parallels of the inter-reliant (yet detrimental) brother/sister relationships. The symmetry was rousing without feeling too intentional. In a way, Sterling is to Phin what Fisher is to May—destructively clingy. While dependency was once a matter of survival, it has become a stagnant thing that holds them back.

What Didn’t Work For Me:

Unfortunately there were a few hints of author intrusion, primarily early on. The general impression was a needlessly inserted political agenda, blatantly catering to an offensive stereotype. Case in point:
"Darold's never been invited to join them. He says it's because he's not yet ancient enough to need a rocker, but I'm convinced half of them will vote Democrat before they let a black man join their ranks."

The romantic angle was a little underwhelming. (Although, granted, the focus is far more on the plot than on romance.) There were times the pacing seemed to suffer from the distractions of attraction. At one point the MC puts her mission of retrieving her brother on hold so she can go on a date.

While the worldbuilding started out uniquely compelling, it steadily depleted in momentum and believability as the story progressed. The eventual solution found for freeing people from the symbiotic bonds of the mystical swamp was both sketchy and confusing. This reader would have preferred more clearly defined rules and boundaries of the magics at work—however much this fleshing out would have undoubtedly inflated the page count.

Overall, this was an entertaining low-fantasy read—bewitching in writing style and noteworthy in concept.

Favorite Quotes:

"There's always a little piece of truth stuck inside a good pretending."

"There's one surefire way to annoy a sibling and that's to stand around their friends while being young."
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Sprinkle of Spirits (Love Sugar Magic, #2)

0.0 (0)
Leonora Logroño has finally been introduced to her family’s bakery...
The Order of Time

0.0 (0)
“If you’re into secret societies, time-travel, dangerous artifacts, deadly assassins,...
Thomas Edison

0.0 (0)
Learn about the life of Thomas Edison in this early...
Pete the Cat: 5-Minute Bedtime Stories: Includes 12 Cozy Stories!

0.0 (0)
Join Pete the Cat for 12 groovy, cozy stories perfect...
Sabina: In the Eye of the Storm

0.0 (0)
As in Anne Frank's "Diary of a Young Girl" and...
Literally: Amazing Words and Where They Come From

0.0 (0)
A stunning non-fiction picture book about the origins of the...
Ty's Travels: All Aboard!

0.0 (0)
Join Ty on his imaginative adventures in Ty's Travels: All...
Cuddle Close, Little Koala

0.0 (0)
A reassuring bedtime story about the special bond between a...
We Are Together

0.0 (0)
The power of love and friendship is celebrated in this...
Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger, #2)

0.0 (0)
Half-angel Trinity and her bonded gargoyle protector, Zayne, have been...
Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)

0.0 (0)
"A thrilling adventure, through a vibrant city as alive as...
Shadow of the Batgirl

0.0 (0)
Cassandra Cain, teenage assassin, isn't exactly Batgirl material...yet. Will she...
Of Ice and Shadows

0.0 (0)
The long-awaited sequel to Of Fire and Stars—in which Mare...
Agnes at the End of the World

0.0 (0)
The Handmaid's Tale meets Wilder Girls in this genre-defying novel...
My Love is All Around

0.0 (0)
Mommy Bear shows Baby Bear how love is all around...
I'm not a Mouse!

0.0 (0)
Olivia really doesn't like her nickname - mostly because it...

Latest Member Reviews

The Parkour Club

"I enjoyed this book immensely. As with all of her books, Pam Withers masterfully builds up the characters and skilfully..."
Inebriated

"'Inebriated' by Katey Taylor is a hauntingly real look at the power of intoxication, whether it be in the form..."
The Path We Take

"'The Path We Take' by Kylie Key shows how the choices we make and the things we think we want..."
Outlawed

"The story: When her father forces her to travel back in time to correct the mistake he made, Maryanne..."
The Suicide Journal

"The Suicide Journal is novella centered around a teenager named Cal. The story essentially centers around Cal's decision to kill..."
Legacy of Light (Legends of the Tri-Gard Book 2)

"FEEDBACK Well, this story has gone in a completely different direction than I expected it to. Davion didn’t die..."
Rising

"The story: In a dystopian future, the former state of Alaska is now home to what remains..."
Call of the Rift: Flight

"The Call of the Rift: Flight by Jae Waller is the first book in an alternate-historical fantasy about Kateiko, a..."
The Parkour Club

"I learned a lot about parkour and also Islam from this book. I appreciate a book that focuses around a..."
The Parkour Club

"Adventure, sport, romance and cross-cultural understanding"
Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1)

"Future collides with the past in Legacy by Jesikah Sundin, the first book in her series The Biodome Chronicles. Following..."
Glass Kingdom

"I have read many Cinderella retellings in my life. It's a story I have always loved and been drawn to...."
Two Worlds of Provenance (Two Worlds, #1)

"An intriguing world. The story: Maray is an American girl living in Vienna with just..."
The Omen of Stones

"An intriguing follow up. The Story: River and Omen were born on the same..."
Golden Crown

"This series has blown me away. For those who don't know me, I am low key obsessed with Tangled. And..."
Golden Chains

"All right, so I loved Golden Curse, but I LOVED this second book. The story picks..."
Fae's Deception (Queens of the Fae Book 1)

"When a weird light shoots from Brea and strikes her best friend, she's designated as mentally unstable and sent to..."
Heartmender

"I loved writing this book and I hope you all enjoy reading it! "
Moonscript

"4.5 stars! An elf haunted by his past, a girl dissatisfied with her monotonous present, a withered king looking..."
Dragon Rising: A Mulan Inspired Fantasy

"Going into this book, I didn’t know what to expect, other than a hella good fantasy story, like all of..."