Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1870
The Memory of Light
(Updated: January 05, 2016)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Depression is a subject some people still feel uncomfortable discussing but I feel very strongly that it needs to be addressed. Most books out there address what leads up to someone trying to attempt suicide. THE MEMORY OF LIGHT shows what happens after the attempt.

THE MEMORY OF LIGHT starts right after Vicky Cruz wakes up in Lakeview Hospital Mental Disorders ward after a failed suicide attempt. Her life hasn't been the same after her mother died of cancer. Vicky's father though has been in denial over her depression and even her suicide attempt. While at the hospital, Vicky finds herself with other teens who struggle with their own mental illnesses. Mona, who has bipolar disorder; E.M. who is always angry, Gabriel, who seems perfect but is hiding his own secret, and Dr. Desai. Vicky finds that this group is willing to listen and accept her for who she is. This is very unlike the competitive structure in her family. Through this all, Vicky needs to not only face her own demons but find the strength to want to live.

What worked: The voice is authentic with Vicky coming to terms with her depression. There are some really great images where she describes her feelings and what lead her to want to attempt to kill herself.

...Sometimes it's like the hum of an air conditioner, you know? Always there but noticeable only when I paid attention. And other times it just appeared out of nowhere, like my cat jumping on my lap."

Her relationship with her father, who is in denial, is very realistic. Some people are very uncomfortable on this subject and her father is one of them. I really felt the scenes that showed the interaction between them was real.

One huge thing that worked had to be the observations others had of those who are struggling with schizophrenia. A friend of mine described similar things whenever she visited a friend's tween who they think has schizophrenia. Author nailed the whole switching from the person you know to the one that hears the voices. The shift in personalities can be subtle and/or quick.

The scenes were Mona is manic were very realistic from the pent up antsy energy,talking super fast, to self-medicating. I grew up with a bipolar father, uncle, and older brother who all refused to take lithium or get treatment. So I could connect with Mona's struggles and how much she loved the energy of not taking her medicine.

I also loved how Vicky mentioned that she wrote poetry to deal with her depression. I did the very same thing when I was a young adult. Poetry 'saved' me as I was able to write what I was feeling when I felt I couldn't talk to others.

What I did have issues with though had to be how fast these teens bonded at the hospital. I never had to stay in a hospital but I've had a friend whose son has been in a few. There has been more in his groups than the one in the book but then again each experience is different. At times though this story had a RED BAND SOCIETY feel going for it where the teens automatically connect. Sure, E.M. at first was a little standoffish and blunt to the point of being offensive, but not much longer? He was there with the others.

Another thing that I felt held the story back had to be how quick most of the them were self-diagnosing each other. It felt almost a little too convenient. I do know that there are those that do research their illnesses but not all.

Overall, loved the insight into a teen's depression and what led her to attempt suicide. Realistic depictions that show teens dealing with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Also authentic portrayal of how some family/friends are in denial to why a love one might try to attempt suicide.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)

0.0 (0)
One week after their eleventh birthday, the Fowl twins--scientist Myles,...
Kai and the Monkey King (Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #3)

0.0 (0)
When Kai grows tired of her bookish mum not being...
Astro Kittens: Cosmic Machines (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
Astro Kittens: Into the Unknown (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
All the Things We Do in the Dark

0.0 (0)
Sadie meets Girl in Pieces in this dark, emotional thriller...
The Rubicus Prophecy (The Witches of Orkney, #2)

0.0 (0)
Abigail has just started her second year at the Tarkana...
Fancy Nancy: Camp Fancy

0.0 (0)
Based on the Disney Junior TV show and inspired by...
Rules for Vanishing

0.0 (0)
In the faux-documentary style of The Blair Witch Project comes...
What Makes Us

0.0 (0)
A viral video reveals a teen’s dark family history, leaving...
Harry Potter Origami

0.0 (0)
Ever wanted to fold your own Chocolate Frogs? Or play...
By Any Means Necessary

0.0 (0)
Heart-wrenchingly honest, fans of Brandy Colbert and Nicola Yoon will...
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

0.0 (0)
Annie and Lee were just children when a brutal revolution...
Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
In 2001, audiences first met and fell in love with...
On the Come Up

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers...
Spin

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Paris Secord's (aka DJ ParSec) career--and life--has come to...
Leah on the Offbeat

0.0 (0)
Leah Burke—girl-band drummer, master of deadpan, and Simon Spier’s best...

Latest Member Reviews

"This darker and grittier sequel of Issaura's Claws, steers readers on a journey outside the kingdom of Elysia into the..."
Winter's Captive

"YA fantasy has always been my favorite. However, the past few months, I'd been in a slump. I struggled getting..."
The Fractured Empire

"I don’t know where to start! The Fractured Empire by Robin D. Mahle is the first in the World Apart..."
Tin Men

"Tin Men by Amalie Jahn The story: After losing his estranged father, Charlie Johnson’s..."
Tin Men

"Would you risk your future to discover your past? What I Loved: The premise of..."
Perfectly You

"What I loved: Ivy's character is strong, driven, and even a bit inconsiderate at times. Giving her character flaws..."
COLD DAY IN THE SUN

"An adorable story that has a lot to say. The story: Holland is the only..."
Lily and the Wedding Date Mistake

"'Lily and the Wedding Date Mistake' by Seven Steps is a story of friendship lost and found between main characters..."
Bea and the Bad Boy

"'Bea and the Bad Boy' by Anna Catherine Field is a page-turning story that evolves from two people who don't..."
Igloo High

"'Igloo High' by Jacinthe Dessureault has many of the typical aspects that young adult novels contain, including a popular girl,..."
Super Powers

"The story: Hot on the heels of the event of Super Humans (Book One), we get inside..."
Perfectly Oblivious

"This was a sweet high school love story centered around basketball and missed intentions. What I liked: ..."
The Kilwade Tragedy

"Before I start this review, I do want to let you all know that this book is trigger heavy. The..."
Colliding Skies

" What I loved: The cover, obviously, is gorgeous and eye catching. Skye's character is a genuine..."
Kismet and Karma

"The other side of the story. The Story: We finally get to see just what happened..."
Fate and Fortune

"Such a cute story. The Story: Paige is heartbroken after her boyfriend of two years..."
Oberon Academy Book One: The Orphan

"This is a promising start to an exciting new fae series! What I loved: The writing style is..."
Bea and the Bad Boy

"When Bea's best friend Katherine and twin brother Atticus start dating, she feels betrayed and can't stand to see them..."
The C Word

"Addison and Julian have history between them that neither like to talk about. Things changed after that fateful night of..."
The Culling

"Grant and his sister Stevie are on their own, trying to survive in a desolate bayou with limited food sources...."