Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2399
Revenge at any cost
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

What I Liked:
REVENGE AND THE WILD is an intriguing blend of the supernatural and the lawless west, all topped with a heart-pounding chase for revenge.

Westie is a highly flawed character, which made me like her and feel invested in her story. Her family tragically died at the hands of a group of cannibals when she was young; she lost her arm as a result of the attack. She's dedicated her life to hunting down the cannibals and bringing them to justice, but it hasn't been easy. She becomes an alcoholic, and loses her credibility when she falsely accuses someone of the being the cannibals she hunts. Her setbacks don't stymy her dedication to revenge, though. There's an intriguing struggle between her own personal vendetta and the consequences of her actions for the city she lives in.

What Left Me Wanting More:
There's a lot going on in this story: a variety of supernatural creatures, cannibals, a western setting, zombies, magic, and steampunk elements. It felt overwhelming, especially at the beginning of the story, and like there was just too much packed into the world-building. I didn't feel like any of the different elements really meshed together particularly well; it often felt like several different stories being told at once. That said, because there's so much to offer, I think most readers will find something to their taste in the story.

The Final Verdict:
REVENGE OF THE WILD is an action-packed, page-turning story filled with danger at every turn.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Incredible Animals

0.0 (0)
In this illustrated guide, discover fascinating and unusual information about...
Special Delivery

0.0 (0)
A lovely book to share with children in an expecting...
Eyelike Stickers: Trains

0.0 (0)
Hundreds of irresistible, reusable, and collectible stickers to mix, match,...

0.0 (0)
It is twenty years since the events of La Belle...
Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)

0.0 (0)
The first book in an epic and romantic YA series...
Winter Light

0.0 (0)
WINTER LIGHT is the story of 15-year-old Mary Donahue...
Talent

0.0 (0)
Sandee Mason is convinced her life will change if she...
WITHIN THE FOLDS OF A SWAN'S WINGS

0.0 (0)
What if the one element that has always defined you...
The Good Girls

0.0 (0)
One of Us Is Lying meets Sadie in this twisty,...
Frozen 2: Dangerous Secrets: The Story of Iduna and Agnarr

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Iduna harbors a dark secret. On the surface, she...
All our Hidden Gifts

0.0 (0)
Maeve’s strangely astute tarot readings make her the talk of...

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Cassie needs a horse. She’s determined to move up...
A Higher Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 9)

0.0 (0)
Just when everything seems to be perfect, it all falls...
A Happier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 8)

0.0 (0)
Two guys. One girl. A big confusing mess. ...
A Healthier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 7)

0.0 (0)
She broke his heart. Will he ever forgive her? ...
A Steadier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 6)

0.0 (0)
He wants her back, but she’s already taken. ...

Latest Member Reviews

Frozen 2: Dangerous Secrets: The Story of Iduna and Agnarr

"DANGEROUS SECRETS: THE STORY OF IDUNA AND AGNARR is a great MG/YA fantasy romance. Based on Frozen, this book tells..."
Greythorne (Bloodleaf, #2)

"GREYTHORNE is an enthralling sequel to BLOODLEAF, a YA fantasy series with intricate world-building and memorable characters. Aurelia is a..."
The Dark Tide

"THE DARK TIDE is an enthralling and atmospheric YA fantasy read. We follow Lina, a townsperson, and Eva, the witch..."
An Enchantment of Ravens

"I'm not very into reading fantasy (so I might not be the best person to review this). But I was..."
Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger, #2)

"RAGE AND RUIN is a fantastic sequel in THE HARBINGER series. Picking up where the first book left off, we..."
Crave

"After the death of her parents, Grace comes to an Alaskan boarding school. Once there, she senses something is 'off'..."
The Archer at Dawn (The Tiger at Midnight, #2)

"THE ARCHER AT DAWN is a fantastic sequel in the THE TIGER AT MIDNIGHT trilogy. This second book picks up..."
Live Like Legends

"LIVE LIKE LEGENDS is an absolutely fantastic YA fantasy romance. We follow Kalista, who is a princess born to be..."
Bone Crier's Moon

"FEEDBACK There is honestly so much that happened in this book and I’m not quite sure where to start. First,..."
Crave

"CRAVE is a really engaging new YA fantasy/paranormal romance that follows Grace in the first person. Grace lost her parents..."
The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)

"The Queen's Assassin is a fantasy romance geared toward the younger YA reader. It is told from the first person..."
The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)

"THE MIDNIGHT LIE is a lush and atmospheric YA fantasy. The book transports us to another world, where people are..."
Defy the Sun (The Offering Series, #2)

"DEFY THE SUN is a fantastic conclusion to this YA fantasy duology. This book picks up right where the first..."
The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)

"THE QUEEN'S ASSASSIN is a YA fantasy romance that would appeal to younger YA readers. The book follows Shadow and..."
The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

"After killing a man in Paris, Celine is forced to flee to a different country and finds herself in New..."
The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

"THE BEAUTIFUL takes place in New Orleans, primarily following a young woman, Celine. Celine fled France after a terrible event..."
Reverie

"REVERIE is a captivating and unique YA fantasy without adequate comparisons. The book follows Kane, a teenage boy who was..."
The Bone Houses

"THE BONE HOUSES is a beautifully crafted and full engrossing YA fantasy with some horror aspects. Aderyn (Ryn) is a..."
Beasts of the Frozen Sun

"BEASTS OF THE FROZEN SUN features lush world-building, compelling characters, and a captivating plot that make it an engrossing read...."
The Memory Thief

"THE MEMORY THIEF is an engrossing YA fantasy that will keep you turning pages late into the night. Etta lives..."