Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1802
I was addicted!
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Kate Quinn never knew her father and when her mother died last year, she was taken in by her aunt and uncle. Until her father one days shows up in their living room and claims that he wants to get to know her, that he wants to introduce her to his family. One catch: he’s a Senator running for the presidency. Of the United States. Kate’s life goes from everyday teenager to campaign strategy before she even knows what’s happening. It’s hard enough to process the fact that her father’s alive, has a wife and two other kids, and wants her to stay with them. It’s impossible when everyone is suddenly watching her every move.

This book was an absolute perfect read for me. It had elements from some of my favourite books and TV shows but still felt completely new. I didn’t want to stop reading and ended up finishing it in one day. The only reason I stopped reading was because I had to. The book was sadly over.

Kate was a character I found myself empathizing with easily, even when she made decisions I didn’t agree with. She was doing her best but she was just thrown into the world of politics with little understanding of just how important every little detail was or how wrong moves were used against them by their opponents. She was never sure of her place in the family, she definitely had strong opinions, and really, she just wanted approval. I also really liked that she loved history and her reasons why. She was one of my favourite characters so far this year.

The other characters were all so great as well. The Senator was around less than the rest of the family, busy with the campaign, but I thought the awkward way he would interact with Kate was believable. He was a hard person to get to know, as said many times in the book, and it definitely cam across. Meg, his wife, was just awesome. She could have easily turned into a scorned stepmother type character, being mean to her husband’s love child, but instead she was warm and accepting and protective of Kate. They truly bonded and it was so nice. The twins, Gracie and Gabe, were adorable. Gracie was the outgoing one and Gabe was painfully shy. I loved seeing the bond developing between them and Kate.

The synopsis was right when it compared this book to Princess Diaries and Aaron Sorkin. Kate wasn’t suddenly royalty but she was thrust into the spotlight without being prepared. The campaign and political aspect, along with the speeches, gave the book a West Wing feel, which was where the Aaron Sorkin comparison would come in. I loved it. The politics were written in a way that I could still understand even though I don’t know a lot about American politics. There was so much work that went into every little detail of every appearance and every word spoken. It was exhausting just reading about it. There was also a bit of a Something Real aspect to it regarding the kids in the spotlight and the effects it can have on them.

The romance aspect of the book was very light. There was a boy, the son of Kate’s father’s rival, and the way he and Kate played off each other was so fun to read. Andy could understand her in a way no one else could since he was also a teenager constantly in the spotlight of his father’s campaign. It was a slow burn romance and I fell for it. Hard.

I don’t tend to re-read a lot of books but this is one I will very likely pick up again. It was that good. And it has PEI on the cover.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
It's Avery's senior year in high school, and she has...
Peppermint Post

0.0 (0)
'Twas the night before Christmas, when the North Pole's Peppermint...
Stolen from the Studio (Case Closed, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lauren Magaziner’s hilarious and high-stakes middle grade series gets a...

0.0 (0)
What's outside Pleasant Grove? Welcome to Pleasant...
The Wizenard Series: Season One

0.0 (0)
Reggie has never felt destined for greatness. He dreams about...

0.0 (0)
He’s a rebel with a cause… to make my...
TURBO Racers: Escape Velocity

0.0 (0)
The Fast and the Furious meets Transformers in the second...
Bread Lab!

0.0 (0)
It’s a sleepy Saturday morning for most people, but not...
A Thousand No's

0.0 (0)
This empowering picture book teaches readers that even great ideas...
Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle, #2)

0.0 (0)
The hilarious sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller,...
Sharko and Hippo

0.0 (0)
With tongue-twisty wordplay and escalating absurdity, this is a fall-down-funny...
The Thing About Bees: A Love Letter

0.0 (0)
A LOVE POEM FROM A FATHER TO HIS TWO SONS,...
The Faithless Hawk (The Merciful Crow, #2)

0.0 (0)
Kings become outcasts and lovers become foes in The Faithless...
Zora's Zucchini

0.0 (0)
The first zucchini of a summer garden is always exciting,...
Libby Loves Science

0.0 (0)
Libby loves science! In this STEM-themed picture book, a companion...
The Hidden Rainbow

0.0 (0)
All the colors of the rainbow are hidden in the...

Latest Member Reviews

Peppermint Post

"PEPPERMINT POST is an adorable new story about Christmas and Santa. The Peppermint Post is the busiest post office in..."
Stolen from the Studio (Case Closed, #2)

"STOLEN FROM THE STUDIO is a fun middle grade mystery with a choose-your-own-adventure plot. Carlos travels with his mother, a..."
The Wizenard Series: Season One

"THE WIZENARD SERIES: SEASON ONE is written by Wesley King and created by Kobe Bryant. The MG fantasy follows Reggie,..."
The Triumphant Tale of Pippa North

"THE TRIUMPHANT TALE OF PIPPA NORTH combines magic and humor in a middle grade fantasy full of charm. Pippa is..."
TURBO Racers: Escape Velocity

"TURBO RACERS: ESCAPE VELOCITY is a fast-paced, high-stakes adventure. Mace Blazer is a TURBOnaut, a high-speed vehicle racer. He recently..."
Bread Lab!

"BREAD LAB! is a cute picture book that walks through the steps of making sourdough bread through the eyes of..."
A Thousand No's

"A THOUSAND NO'S is a cute picture book about the way that feedback can change an idea. A girl has..."
Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle, #2)

"RONAN BOYLE AND THE SWAMP OF CERTAIN DEATH is a comedic middle grade fantasy that features a young boy on..."
Sharko and Hippo

"SHARKO AND HIPPO is a clever and comical book about two best friends who are going fishing for the day...."
Zora's Zucchini

"ZORA'S ZUCCHINI is a delightful picture book that explores growing vegetables and sharing with neighbors. Zora is a little bored..."
Libby Loves Science

"LIBBY LOVES SCIENCE is a cute picture book that brings a love of science to all the fun of ice..."
The Hidden Rainbow

"THE HIDDEN RAINBOW is a delightful picture book that combines counting, colors, and nature in a beautiful exploration. Each page..."
The Places We Sleep

"THE PLACES WE SLEEP is a moving middle grade historical that takes place around 9/11. The book is written entirely..."
Paola Santiago and the River of Tears

"Paola “Pao” Santiago loves science and hanging out with her best friends, Emma and Dante. She doesn’t love how superstitious..."
Kamala and Maya's Big Idea

"KAMALA AND MAYA'S BIG IDEA is a picture book based on a true story about pursuing your goals and doing..."
Harvey Holds His Own (The Harvey Stories, #2)

"HARVEY HOLDS HIS OWN is a contemporary middle grade told from three perspectives: Maggie, Harvey, and Austin. Maggie is starting..."
Ghost Boys

"Jewell Parker Rhodes writes electrifying middle grade stories that pack emotion into every sentence, and GHOST BOYS showcases that skill..."
And Then I Turned into a Mermaid (And Then I Turned into a Mermaid, #1)

"AND THEN I TURNED INTO A MERMAID is a cute and funny middle grade fantasy that follows Molly. Molly is..."
After the Worst Thing Happens

"AFTER THE WORST THING HAPPENS is a compelling middle grade about dealing with death and loss. Army Morand absolutely adores..."
Sheep Dog and Sheep Sheep: Baaad Hair Day

"SHEEP DOG AND SHEEP SHEEP: BAAAD HAIR DAY is a comical picture book about haircuts. Sheep has lovely curls that..."