Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 4384
Where Is My Acorn?
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I'm not lying when I say that A LITTLE SOMETHING DIFFERENT is indeed a little something different from the rest of the YA Romance books out there. It's told from multiple point of views, never from Lea or Gabe. The synopsis does tell the story the best (or at least, better than I can). Basically, everyone in the book (and I seriously mean everyone in the book with the exception of one of Gabe's female classmates) ships Gabe and Lea together. From the creative writing professor to the bus driver, from the Chinese food delivery guy to the squirrel (my favorite POV, by the way), from the bench (long story) to the creative writing professor's wife, everyone wants those two to get together.

I have to note that all the characters in this book, and I mean all of them, are nosy. Seriously nosy. NOSY.

Lea and Gabe are so shippable. It makes me very happy, and I enjoy seeing the ups and downs of their relationship. To speak in the plainest words and sum up the book, I will say this: Love is never easy. Gabe has a past that isn't dark or very negative (read: angsty and painful) while Lea is normal. She is normal yet also spirited and quirky and perfect for Gabe as Gabe is for Lea. She has her issues with her self-esteem and her character, but she slowly figures herself out while Gabe comes out of his shell.

Do they figure it out their relationship? Will the UST be unsolved? Will everyone be writing fanfiction about Gabe and Lea for the rest of their lives? Well, by the end of the book, they... (Oh, wait. Spoilers. Darn it.)

The main plot centers around Lea and Gabe. Their individual character arcs are definitely the main subplots, but unfortunately, the supporting cast doesn't have much character development. (With the exception of the squirrel. Okay, I may be joking there.) The other subplot, involving the individual characters, come together. There are about ten POVs (I think), and each of them slowly become aware of each other and their mutual interest in Gabe and Lea.

The ending is one of the greatest parts of the book. I'm not going to say much, but I have to say that it is immensely satisfying. It will have everyone saying, "Finally!"

Overall, A LITTLE SOMETHING DIFFERENT throws readers into an unique twist. It isn't told like a regular book, and the romance is indeed the star of the story. Sandy Hall makes it individual and astounding by not putting Gabe and Lea in front of the spotlight. Their voices aren't heard, but the people around them voice their opinions on the lovebirds' relationship. This is perfect for anyone who is looking for a light, unique read.

Rating: Three out of Five
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Be Our Guest!

0.0 (0)
Join Gray Malin’s menagerie of wild animals for a stay...
Hat Tricks

0.0 (0)
Meet Hattie the magician―she’s a natural performer, and you’re invited...
Stanley's Toolbox

0.0 (0)
It’s another busy day with Stanley and friends! ...
Spring Is Here!

0.0 (0)
When spring arrives, baby animals come out to play with...
10 Things I Hate About Pinky

0.0 (0)
The delightful follow-up to When Dimple Met Rishi and There’s...
The Child of Chaos

0.0 (0)
This is what fantasy fiction should be." --Piers Anthony, New...
Want to Read Rate this book 1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars Preview Star-Spangled: The Story of a Flag, a Battle, and the American Anthem

0.0 (0)
“O say can you see” begins one of the most...

0.0 (0)
July 20, 1969. It’s a day that has earned a...
Thurgood Marshall

0.0 (0)
When Thurgood Marshall—the great grandson of a slave—was born, African...
Down Under the Pier

0.0 (0)
There’s lots of fun to be had up on the...
Lali's Feather

0.0 (0)
This endearing story of identification and values shows the rewards...

0.0 (0)
Book three in a hilarious new series featuring one boy...

0.0 (0)
Everything starts with a question, like this one: Why do...

0.0 (0)
Worries, fears, and anxieties are all dragons that sneak up...
The Copycat

0.0 (0)
A funny, unpredictable, and heartfelt new novel from Wendy McLeod...
DC Super Hero Girls: Powerless

0.0 (0)
The DC Super Hero Girls learn what it's like to...

Latest Member Reviews

Rival Magic

"Antonia, wizarding apprentice to Master Betrys, may not be the best at actual magic, but she tries her absolute best..."

"You will not be able to put down this book! A fast and suspenseful read that will grip you with..."
Be Our Guest!

"BE OUR GUEST! is a colorful book of photographs. The book takes us to a hotel, where a monkey named..."
Hat Tricks

"HAT TRICKS is a story of magic. Hattie the rabbit pops out of her magic hat to perform some magic...."
Stanley's Toolbox

"STANLEY'S TOOLBOX is a delightful board book that shows many tools in action as Stanley helps to repair Little Woo's..."
Spring Is Here!

"SPRING IS HERE! is a delightful board book that features several animals in the springtime setting. The book is extra..."
10 Things I Hate About Pinky

"10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT PINKY is a cute YA romance that features a fake-turned-real relationship and opposites-attract couple. Pinky..."
The Zombie Queen

"Tamara is the daughter of the Vampire Queen and the Zombie King. She is extremely powerful and is wanted by..."
Star-Spangled: The Story of a Flag, a Battle, and the American Anthem

"The War of 1812 isn't one that really captures the imagination of young readers like the Revolutionary or Civil War..."

"NASA and the US space program are a direct result of the increases in aeronautical technology due to World War..."
Thurgood Marshall

"Born in 1908, Thurgood Marshall experienced an array of institutionalized racial injustices in his New York and Baltimore homes, even..."
Dating Nashville

"When country music sensation Becks leaps off the stage mid performance and kisses Nicky everything he’s worked so hard to..."
Circus of the Dead (Circus of the Dead, #1)

"The story: When Callie's parents send her to help her uncle for the summer working at the Circus of..."
Down Under the Pier

"DOWN UNDER THE PIER is a beautifully illustrated poem about the magic that happens, not only above, but also below..."
Lali's Feather

"LALI'S FEATHER is a delightful and colorful picture book that explores birds and imagination. Lali is playing when she finds..."
A Friend for Mole

"A FRIEND FOR MOLE is a cute picture book that speaks to unlikely friendships and shared experiences. Mole is happy..."

"This book is a winner the moment a reader lays eyes on that cover--and the title. My niece--who is picky..."

"Super Cute Illustrations I wasn't expecting a board book when I first saw this, but as soon as I..."

"This book is absolutely adorable. Dragons can suddenly show up wherever the characters are and they have to..."
The Girl and the Ghost

"5 Reasons to Read THE GIRL AND THE GHOST 1.) Beautiful prose- This was my first time..."