Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 5141
A good follow-up
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Picking up almost right after The Jewel left off, The White Rose finds Violet on the run from The Duchess of the Lake. She has no choice. She has to escape The Jewel but she refuses to go without Ash and her friend Raven. The plan is to get to a house in The Farm but getting there without being caught is a huge challenge – even with help from the mysterious Black Key and his associates. A new ally helps Violet understand her ability to use the Auguries and what they truly are, and with that understanding comes hope that maybe this rebellion will succeed.

The Jewel ended on a pretty big cliffhanger so I was looking forward to this book finally coming out. There were parts I liked, parts I didn’t, but overall this book moved the story forward and did its job to set up the big battle in the third book. There was more world-building and character development present as well, which was great.

My main issue with this book was that it felt like it was trying to do too much, too fast. A good portion of the first half was the characters trying to escape and make it to the safe house in The Farm and then introducing the rebel group, Violet’s training, a few big reveals and twists, they were all crammed into the second part of the book. It made for very fast reading of the second half since it was so fast-paced but it also made the first half slow and a bit repetitive.

My favourite thing about the book ended up being the character interaction, which is always a big thing for me. If I enjoy those, chances are I enjoy the book. The friendship between Violet and Raven is so sweet and strong and there was always the feeling that those two would do anything to protect each other. If there was a main couple in this series, I would say it was Violet and Raven as friends. The romance between Violet and Ash was still there but it was mostly in the background. I was a little undecided on their romance as there were times when it felt more like a sibling dynamic and maybe they only thought they were in love because they were the first to look at each other and see beyond the labels of ‘surrogate’ and ‘companion.’ It will be a wait and see type of romance. My favourite interactions though, involved Garnet. I would love to read something, even just a novella, from his POV because wow that boy has shown a lot of growth through these two books.

Even with the few issues I mentioned, I enjoyed reading this book and it has me excited for the third and last book to come out. In about a year from now:( I’ll just wait impatiently for the title and cover reveal because these covers have been breathtaking so far!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)

0.0 (0)
In this riveting, keenly emotional debut fantasy, a Black teen...
You Say It First

0.0 (0)
One conversation can change everything. Meg has her entire...
My High School Royal Boyfriend

0.0 (0)
ALEX A tragedy at Langley Estate puts my family...
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Clark thought he knew what grief was. Addie thought...
Tales from the Hinterland

0.0 (0)
A gorgeously illustrated collection of twelve “lush and deliciously...
Sisters of Shadow and Light

0.0 (0)
From the acclaimed author of Defy, Sara B. Larson,...
In the Penalty Box

0.0 (0)
Willow Figure skating was supposed to be my whole...
Unchosen

0.0 (0)
Katharyn Blair crafts a fiercely feminist fantasy with a horrifying...
Miracle Girl

0.0 (0)
Leanne Strong hates June eighth even though it's supposed to...
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Rosie Singer’s mom is missing whatever it is that...
Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke

0.0 (0)
On October 2nd, 1977, Glenn Burke, outfielder for the Los...
The Elephant in the Room

0.0 (0)
It's been almost a year since Sila's mother traveled halfway...
Alone in the Woods

0.0 (0)
Jocelyn and Alex have always been best friends...until they aren't....
Disaster Days

0.0 (0)
Hannah Steele loves living on Pelling, a tiny island near...
Wild River

0.0 (0)
Daniel Redmayne is fast asleep on the first night of...
The Last Hurrah

0.0 (0)
3 nights, 2 days, and 1 massive music fest ....

Latest Member Reviews

The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

"I don't know how this series keeps getting better, but it does. This third book is just... so much happens..."
The Tempest Sea

"This book... oof. It hurt. But if you know me at all, you know my favorite books are the kind..."
The Fractured Empire

"This book grabbed me from the very beginning, throwing me into this beautifully-crafted, intriguing new world. The plot is fast-paced..."
My High School Royal Boyfriend

"'My High School Royal Boyfriend' by Kylie Key follows new River Valley High students Blaire and Alex, as they try..."
Born at Dawn

"BORN AT DAWN is an upper YA fantasy full of adventure - the main character is half human and half..."
Born Royal

"As a girl, Vi suffered various forms of torture from her mom and she was the equivalent to a lab..."
The Lost Prince (The Nihryst Book 2)

"THE LOST PRINCE opens up where the first one left off. Ada is with Lee searching for a cure to..."
Edge of Light

"This book literally starts out with a bang as multiple meteorites strike cities across the earth at the same time,..."
The Runaway (Barrett Boys #1)

"Annie lives in a small town where everyone knows everything about each other. She is usually the subject of the..."
My High School Rebel Boyfriend

"A cute story. The story: My High School Rebel Boyfriend stars a high school senior, Harper,..."
Daughter of Darkness

"Definitely a book that's worth a read. The Story: Kenna wants to be able..."
Golden Curse (The True Story of Rapunzel)

"This beautiful story is highly enjoyable. The writing flows easily, and the characters feel relatable. The main conflict was interesting..."
The Raven and the Dove

"An intriguing tale of forbidden love as two young lovers fight to stay together. Well written and entertaining. ..."
The Devil's Apprentice

"This was actually a pretty interesting story. At first I really wasn't sure how it was going to go so..."
Heart Sister

"The story: When Emmitt’s twin sister Minnie dies in a tragic accident, it cripples not only him..."
Mastery of Earth (Legends of the Tri-Gard Book 3)

"Oh the feels this book gave me. Davi's officially back but still not really? His memories are all over the..."
Glass Princess

"This second entry was good, well technically fifth. I am really glad that the story picked up right after the..."
Depths: A Tale of the Little Mermaid

"Set in a Greek/Roman era, where not only one but three worlds are colliding, Arianna is a human girl who..."
My High School Rebel Boyfriend

"'My High School Rebel Boyfriend' by Kylie Key follows main characters Harper and Mitchell as they have to find a..."
Launch (Rise of the Anointed #1)

"This superhero tale is a lot of fun, with likeable characters, lots of action, and a thread of faith that..."