Every Ugly Word Featured
Young Adult Fiction 3001
A Brilliant Book on a Very Tough Subject
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

MY THOUGHTS
This was such a hard book to read. This book focuses entirely on the difficult subject of bullying. I usually avoid books about bullying because I have a very very low tolerance on bullying. When I read a book about bullying I get so angry. I go through the book in a field of rage because I honestly can't understand how anyone can be so cruel to another being. It makes me even more upset that this cruel people generally get away with what they do.
Reading books about bullying also makes me feel powerless, since I desperately want to help the main character and make others understand what's going on, but I can't do such a thing.

I had all of these feelings and more throughout this book. I hated almost everyone in this book except for the main character. Yes, I didn't even like Matt, who was supposed to be Ashley's best friend. He was okay by the end, but I can't forgive him for the fact that he treated Ashley like she needed to be fixed and sided with the evil demons that tormented her. I despised all of her classmates, who decided to make Ashley's life hell when she did absolutely nothing to deserve it (nobody deserves it), but I hated her mother more. Her mother is a very horrible mother. She only thinks of herself and sees her daughter as an embarrassment and constantly says that Ashley would only be better if she weren't fat or if she would stand up for herself or be popular. She says so many horrible things to her daughter, practically blames Ashley for what her classmates do to her, and even yells at her for crying at it. A mother is supposed to protect and comfort her child, she is not a mother.

This book was very realistic, but it had a little magical element added in. For the past few years, Ashley has been able to see her future self in the mirror and talk to her. Her future self is trying to prevent Ashley's life to play out a certain way and when it doesn't work, that Ashley becomes future Ashley and takes to her younger self. Confusing, I know, but it was a very interesting add in and made for a very unique way to tell the story. This book also goes back and forth between past and present. We have a present Ashley in some kind of mental hospital talking to a doctor about all of these events and it made for an interesting way of telling this story.

IN CONCLUSION
This was a brilliant book. It was unique and beautiful, but so so tragic. Ashley's story is horrible and it will make you so very upset. Be prepared to go through many emotions while reading this book and be prepared for your outlook to change.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Jonathan: Prince of Dreams

0.0 (0)
Still recovering from the tragic loss of his mother, typical...
Missing the Beat

0.0 (0)
The dream job? Check. The best friends? Check....
Meeting the Star

0.0 (0)
The spotless reputation? Check. The gorgeous movie star?...
Making the Play

0.0 (0)
The school of her dreams? Check. The perfect...
Runaway : Immortals of Indriell

0.0 (0)
They claim her mother died a hero. They...
The Tragedy of Dane Riley

0.0 (0)
A teen confronts his feelings about his father’s death, his...
Even and Odd

0.0 (0)
Even and Odd are sisters who share magic. Lately, though,...
Bee a Good Human: A Pollinators' Guide to a Better Life

0.0 (0)
Combining inspiration, humor, and entomology, Instagram artist Ali Beckman (@SoFlyTaxidermy)...
Goodnight, Little Bunny

0.0 (0)
Meet Little Bunny on the day that she ventures out...
Flying Over Water

0.0 (0)
N.H. Senzai and Shannon Hitchcock expertly craft the intersection of...
Rukhsanna Guidroz

0.0 (0)
Samira thinks of her life as before and after: before...
Not Now, Cow

0.0 (0)
In this hilarious picture book, all of the farm animals...
Cucu! en el Mar/Peekaboo! in the Ocean

0.0 (0)
Peekaboo! Who's hiding in the ocean? Lift the flap to...
Family Reunion

0.0 (0)
In this contemporary #OwnVoices tale, a boy is reluctant to...
A Season of Sinister Dreams

5.0 (1)
Furyborn meets A Curse So Dark and Lonely in this...

0.0 (0)
Falling for the boy next door? No. Definitely not....

Latest Member Reviews

Even and Odd

"Even and Odd are sisters born a year apart who share their magical power. Odd isn't thrilled with hers, and..."
Goodnight, Little Bunny

"GOODNIGHT, LITTLE BUNNY is an interesting picture book read about a bunny's first trip out of the burrow. Bunny is..."
Flying Over Water

"When Jordyn's mother offers to help Noura Alwan's family settle in Tampa, Florida, Jordyn hopes that it will improve her..."
Rukhsanna Guidroz

"In 2012, Samira and her family are members of the Rohingya people. Because of the oppressive government in Myanmar (or..."
Not Now, Cow

"NOT NOW, COW is a charming and funny picture book about seasonal clothes. The animals are getting ready for each..."
Cucu! en el Mar/Peekaboo! in the Ocean

"CUCU! EN EL MAR/ PEEKABOO! IN THE OCEAN is an adorable bilingual lift-the-flap board book. Each page features an animal..."
Family Reunion

"FAMILY REUNION is a colorful picture book that captures all the joy of seeing family, even when you think you..."
The Little Things: A Story about Acts of Kindness

"Am here to testify what this great spell caster done for me. i never believe in spell casting, until when..."
Early One Morning

"Am here to testify what this great spell caster done for me. i never believe in spell casting, until when..."
You Are Fantastic!

Llama Llama Meets the Babysitter

Clique Here: A Wish Novel

Jet the Cat (Is Not a Cat)

The Neighborhood Surprise

That Thing About Bollywood

Saint Ivy: Kind At All Costs

The Puppy War (Wild & Chance #2)

Bear Bottom (Fun Jungle #7)

Duckscares: The Nightmare Formula

Shark Summer