Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1255
Satisfying conclusion to an enjoyable trilogy
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Commander Charlie is no longer the only threat. Now, an alien race from Marden has invaded, taking a large number of the Surface citizens with their arrival. Clementine will have to negotiate with the Mardenites as best as she can if she wants to keep everyone safe and keep the Commander from destroying everything in his ruthless path.

The Mardenities are a fascinating addition to this world, and I love all the interactions Clementine has with them. While everyone else is ready to fight them, she is the only one who sees that the two peoples might need each other. Stephanie Diaz offers a realistic look at the sacrifices people have to make, even for peace, and the edge of danger that comes with working with an unlikely ally.

Diaz shows a new maturity as a writer in this last installment with a plot that has more unexpected twists and turns than previously. The Mardenities shift everything around, and this makes for an excellent break from the typical rebellion/Commander story. The ending wraps up all the loose ends nicely with a little heartache, some destruction, and a large amount of hope that will leave fans of the series very satisfied.

The relationship with Logan is what left me wanting more the most. The reader rarely sees his character in the previous two novels, and little changes in this finale. Logan and Clementine take a step forward in their relationship, but there is a static feel between them that generates a lack of complexity and development. However, readers who enjoy a no-drama romance may prefer a quiet, always forgiving relationship without the angst.

One of the minor antagonists in the series makes a severe change of heart by the end that is poorly supported. His past wrongdoings seem automatically forgiven, though some, including several cases of attempted sexual assault, are quite harsh and never resolved. This is one area of the story that is a bit uncomfortable and is the only part of the story that feels unfinished.

There are still parts of the story I had issues with, but overall, Stephanie Diaz wraps her trilogy up nicely. Fans of the previous works won’t be left disappointed with this final battle of survival between Clementine, the Commander, and the Mardenites.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Sprinkle of Spirits (Love Sugar Magic, #2)

0.0 (0)
Leonora Logroño has finally been introduced to her family’s bakery...
The Order of Time

0.0 (0)
“If you’re into secret societies, time-travel, dangerous artifacts, deadly assassins,...
Thomas Edison

0.0 (0)
Learn about the life of Thomas Edison in this early...
Pete the Cat: 5-Minute Bedtime Stories: Includes 12 Cozy Stories!

0.0 (0)
Join Pete the Cat for 12 groovy, cozy stories perfect...
Sabina: In the Eye of the Storm

0.0 (0)
As in Anne Frank's "Diary of a Young Girl" and...
Literally: Amazing Words and Where They Come From

0.0 (0)
A stunning non-fiction picture book about the origins of the...
Ty's Travels: All Aboard!

0.0 (0)
Join Ty on his imaginative adventures in Ty's Travels: All...
Cuddle Close, Little Koala

0.0 (0)
A reassuring bedtime story about the special bond between a...
We Are Together

0.0 (0)
The power of love and friendship is celebrated in this...
Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger, #2)

0.0 (0)
Half-angel Trinity and her bonded gargoyle protector, Zayne, have been...
Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)

0.0 (0)
"A thrilling adventure, through a vibrant city as alive as...
Shadow of the Batgirl

0.0 (0)
Cassandra Cain, teenage assassin, isn't exactly Batgirl material...yet. Will she...
Of Ice and Shadows

0.0 (0)
The long-awaited sequel to Of Fire and Stars—in which Mare...
Agnes at the End of the World

0.0 (0)
The Handmaid's Tale meets Wilder Girls in this genre-defying novel...
My Love is All Around

0.0 (0)
Mommy Bear shows Baby Bear how love is all around...
I'm not a Mouse!

0.0 (0)
Olivia really doesn't like her nickname - mostly because it...

Latest Member Reviews

A Sprinkle of Spirits (Love Sugar Magic, #2)

"A SPRINKLE OF SPIRITS is the delightful second book in the LOVE SUGAR MAGIC middle grade series. Leo is a..."
The Order of Time

"THE ORDER OF TIME by Scott P. Southall is a Middle Grade Sci-Fi Fantasy novel. The story follows two twins,..."
Pete the Cat: 5-Minute Bedtime Stories: Includes 12 Cozy Stories!

"'Pete the Cat 5-Minute Bedtime Stories' by Kimberly and James Dean is an adorable storybook that any lover of children's..."
Ty's Travels: All Aboard!

"'Ty's Travels: All Aboard!' by Kelly Starling Lyons, pictures by Nina Mata, is an adorable story of Ty and his..."
Cuddle Close, Little Koala

"CUDDLE CLOSE, LITTLE KOALA is a sweet story of the special connection between mother and child. Little Koala is lost..."
We Are Together

"WE ARE TOGETHER is a book about activism and teamwork. In the form of a rhyming poem, the book stresses..."
My Love is All Around

"MY LOVE IS ALL AROUND is a sweet book about love between parent and child and the many ways in..."
I'm not a Mouse!

"I'M NOT A MOUSE! is a cute picture book about nicknames. Olivia's mother always calls her mouse, and she doesn't..."
My Panda Sweater

"MY PANDA SWEATER is a lovely book about the way that clothes can affect us. A young girl loves her..."
One Day on our Blue Planet... In the Outback

"ONE DAY ON OUR BLUE PLANET... IN THE OUTBACK is a picture book that follows a red kangaroo joey through..."
Mrs Bibi's Elephant

"MRS BIBI'S ELEPHANT is a sweet story about the special place we have in our hearts for our pets. Mrs...."
Artemis Fowl: Guide to the World of Fairies

""Written" by dwarf Nord Diggums with contributions from experts in the field of magical creatures such as Professor Ivana Therey..."
Super Puzzletastic Mysteries: Short Stories for Young Sleuths from Mystery Writers of America

"Short story collections are hard to review, especially when one includes so many fantastic authors! My students will be glad..."
Daniela and the Pirate Girls

"DANIELA AND THE PIRATE GIRLS is a fun high-seas adventure about helping others and making new friends. Daniela is the..."
Child of Galaxies

"CHILD OF GALAXIES is a lovely poem about life and the broad meaning of it all. The poem begins by..."
Shy Ones

"SHY ONES is a sweet look at friendship and the people (or sea creatures) who are shy. The story is..."
Once Upon an Eid

"This collection has a wide variety of stories about different aspects of Eid, and is particularly poignant during this time..."
Slamdown Town

"Ollie is in 6th grade and is small for his age. His older brother, Hollis, is in 8th, and has..."
Ragweed and Poppy

"RAGWEED AND POPPY is an interesting middle grade novel that follows Ragweed, a mouse who is on a journey. Ragweed..."
The Right Place

"THE RIGHT PLACE is a picture book that stresses the importance of friends and home. Squirrel wakes up after a..."