Thirteen Chairs FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 4571
Spooky and Clever.
(Updated: August 02, 2015)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I’ll be the first to admit that I scare easily. Almost any small spooky thing will set my heart racing and my imagination running even faster. The same feeling I get when I’m about to do something dangerous or spontaneous or wild. (I guess that says a lot about me).

At 23 years old, I am terrified yet fascinated by the dark. I’m spooked by needles, but I will watch it carefully enter my vein every time I give blood. I only do scary movies in the daytime.

But still, even in the middle of the scary movie or the second a strange sound comes from my closet, I’m curious. I love it. But I hate it.

Thirteen Chairs gives me the same feeling. Each story a spine chilling, thoughtful goosebump fest. (It’s like the NoSleep subReddit for younger people). Short stories to make you think and read faster and anticipate the disturbing end.

Stories of deceit, revenge, karma, curiosity, and unfortunate circumstances. Chock full of spooky houses, rogue animals, haunted trees, and one story so clever that R.L. Stine would be proud.

I loved how it all wrapped up and how it doesn’t really seem to end at the same time. I loved that each story had a different voice, and that came across beautifully in the writing.

This is the kind of horror I like. Old fashioned. Not that Saw drama.

If you’re a fan of being spooked. If you like Goosebumps. If you remember that show that played late at night on Nickelodeon called Are You Afraid of the Dark?. Pick Thirteen Chairs up and take a seat. You’re in for a thrill.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Book three in a hilarious new series featuring one boy...

0.0 (0)
Everything starts with a question, like this one: Why do...

0.0 (0)
Worries, fears, and anxieties are all dragons that sneak up...
The Copycat

0.0 (0)
A funny, unpredictable, and heartfelt new novel from Wendy McLeod...
DC Super Hero Girls: Powerless

0.0 (0)
The DC Super Hero Girls learn what it's like to...
Paola Santiago and the River of Tears

0.0 (0)
Space-obsessed 12-year-old Paola Santiago and her two best friends, Emma...
Clown in a Cornfield

0.0 (0)
Quinn Maybrook just wants to make it until graduation. She...
The Oracle Code

0.0 (0)
The #1 New York Times bestselling author Marieke Nijkamp (This...
Rival Magic

0.0 (0)
A young wizard's apprentice discovers that the best magic is...
Deeplight

0.0 (0)
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea meets Frankenstein in Frances...
The Girl and the Ghost

0.0 (0)
A Malaysian folk tale comes to life in this emotionally...
Izzy Gizmo and the Invention Convention

0.0 (0)
In this companion to the award-winning Izzy Gizmo, Izzy Gizmo...
The Welcome Wagon

0.0 (0)
In Cubby Hill, someone new is someone to celebrate!In a...
Once Upon a Crime: Batman Tales

0.0 (0)
Gotham City is filled with stories--of heroes and of villains,...

0.0 (0)
With Joanie Stone's colorful illustrations and Allison Crotzer Kimmel's inspirational...
Cracked Up To Be

0.0 (0)
The high price of perfection is one 'Perfect' Parker Fadley...

Latest Member Reviews

That's Not What Happened

"WHAT I LOVED: There have been countless school shootings in the United States and hundreds if not thousands of..."
The Lucky Ones

"THE LUCKY ONES is quite an emotional ride. The book follows May and Zach in alternating first person points-of-view. May..."

"Most books about a school shooting would start with the horrific event at the center of story, but EVERY MOMENT..."
This Is Where It Ends

""This is who we are now, terrified and unafraid." I've never read a book like this before. Situations like..."
This Is Where It Ends

" As a teacher, this book scared the hell out of me. This is a constant fear when you work..."
This Is Where It Ends

"MY THOUGHTS After reading the synopsis, I had to read this book. This book spans only 54 horrifying minutes..."
This Is Where It Ends

"Tyler didn't 'fit' in with Opportunity, Alabama but no-one knew just what he'd do that fateful day. THIS IS..."