Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 3731
The fixer, the kingmaker, and the girl in the middle
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

What I Loved:
The Fixer is one of the rare cases where the marketing terms actually match the book: this is definitely Veronica Mars meets Scandal. One of the storylines was actually in an episode of Scandal. I loved every second of it.

Tess in an awesome heroine. She’s witty, caring, and stands up for those being wronged. She doesn’t hesitate when one of her new friends asks for her help with something dangerous and secret and she goes out of her way to protect another of her new friends when she thinks he’s making a dangerous mistake. Basically these kids are involved with some messed up shit and trying to figure out the mystery alongside them is so much fun. I loved her new group of friends: friendly and sensitive Vivie, hilarious and vulnerable Asher, and fair and protective Henry. They’re a great crew and I just want to read about all of their adventures together.

The kids aren’t the only interesting characters. They’re balanced out with a diverse and sometmes terrifying adult group. From the fixer herself to the kingmaker to the first lady, Tess finds herself surrounded by the most powerful people in the country. And they all have agendas of their own.

Besides the tense political environment, we also get the emotional story of Tess’s relationship with her sister Ivy. They haven’t had an easy relationship, and watching them navigate this new living arrangement is heartbreaking at times. They have a lot of growing to do.

The Final Verdict:
The Fixer is an engrossing story with delicious twists and turns that leave readers begging for the next installment.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Kingdom of Ink and Paper (The Betwixt and Between Chronicles Book 1)

0.0 (0)
Every book you’ve ever read. Every story you’ve ever ...
The First Holidays

0.0 (0)
Lila Weston is a pro at keeping secrets, but this...
Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)

0.0 (0)
In this riveting, keenly emotional debut fantasy, a Black teen...
You Say It First

0.0 (0)
One conversation can change everything. Meg has her entire...
My High School Royal Boyfriend

0.0 (0)
ALEX A tragedy at Langley Estate puts my family...
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Clark thought he knew what grief was. Addie thought...
Tales from the Hinterland

0.0 (0)
A gorgeously illustrated collection of twelve “lush and deliciously...
Sisters of Shadow and Light

0.0 (0)
From the acclaimed author of Defy, Sara B. Larson,...
In the Penalty Box

0.0 (0)
Willow Figure skating was supposed to be my whole...
Unchosen

0.0 (0)
Katharyn Blair crafts a fiercely feminist fantasy with a horrifying...
Miracle Girl

0.0 (0)
Leanne Strong hates June eighth even though it's supposed to...
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Rosie Singer’s mom is missing whatever it is that...
Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke

0.0 (0)
On October 2nd, 1977, Glenn Burke, outfielder for the Los...
The Elephant in the Room

0.0 (0)
It's been almost a year since Sila's mother traveled halfway...
Alone in the Woods

0.0 (0)
Jocelyn and Alex have always been best friends...until they aren't....
Disaster Days

0.0 (0)
Hannah Steele loves living on Pelling, a tiny island near...

Latest Member Reviews

Stick Dog Crashes a Party (#8)

"Stick Dog and his friends are hungry. After a hilarious episode with a ketchup packet, they decide to go and..."
Stick Dog Slurps Spaghetti (#6)

"These books appeal to everyone from strong emergent readers and stressed middle schoolers to librarians who have a secret desire..."
Peppermint Post

"PEPPERMINT POST is an adorable new story about Christmas and Santa. The Peppermint Post is the busiest post office in..."
The Triumphant Tale of Pippa North

"THE TRIUMPHANT TALE OF PIPPA NORTH combines magic and humor in a middle grade fantasy full of charm. Pippa is..."
TURBO Racers: Escape Velocity

"TURBO RACERS: ESCAPE VELOCITY is a fast-paced, high-stakes adventure. Mace Blazer is a TURBOnaut, a high-speed vehicle racer. He recently..."
Sheep Dog and Sheep Sheep: Baaad Hair Day

"SHEEP DOG AND SHEEP SHEEP: BAAAD HAIR DAY is a comical picture book about haircuts. Sheep has lovely curls that..."
My Words

"MY WORDS is a cute picture book about language and the power of words. Ava shows the reader how words..."
Fresh Princess: Style Rules!

"FRESH PRINCESS: STYLE RULES! is a fun book about marking your mark. Destiny is starting at a new school, and..."
Stick Dog Meets His Match (#10)

"As the soft, fragrant warmth of spring strips the chill from Stick Dog's world, he and his friends approach the..."
Tad
Tad

"TAD is a colorful and engaging journey into the water, as we follow Tad, a tadpole. Tad lives with her..."
Can We Be Friends?: Unexpected Animal Friendships from around the World

"CAN WE BE FRIENDS? is a cute picture book about unlikely animal friendships. The book combines rhyming prose about each..."
Eenie Meenie Halloweenie

"EENIE MEENIE HALLOWEENIE is a cute, rhyming picture book about creativity and Halloween costumes. A young girl uses her stuffed..."