Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 9196
It Is A Four Letter Word
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

YA Contemporary Romance, MY HEART AND OTHER BLACK HOLES isn't the easiest story to read. Suicide isn't an easy topic, and when I think about it, my mother's old words come into mind. "Just shake it off," she would say to me. "Go out and walk in the park. Realize that there is more out there in the world than the heavy hole in your heart. There are children starving, and they would rather be in your shoes." But the problem is that depression is the world of the depressed. Your world, his world, her world, their world. It strikes into the hearts without mercy, and it carries a lot of weight. It forces out a lot of tears. One day, it is a nagging feeling at the bottom of the stomach. The next, a black hole in the heart.

The narrator, Aysel is a girl who is easy to empathize with. She has a family, who doesn't really care for her. She has an insane father, who does care for her but is in jail for murder. She is an outsider in her town because of her father, and she is given nasty words from everyone. Brilliant in science, Aysel has many theories of energy. One of her morbid questions is this: Where would energy go after we die? (Not an exact quote, however.) She possesses many dark thoughts, and she has a well-fitting name for depression: The slug.

Roman (username: FrozenRobot), suffering from grief over the accidental death of his younger sister, plans to die on April 7. That is the exact same day his younger sister died. He and Aysel develop a sweet and wonderful bond together. The more time they spend together, the more Aysel wants to live, the more Roman wants to disappear forever. Her hope is stunning, but it is faced against Roman's sadness.

The writing style is easy to understand, the descriptions are excellent, and the plot goes by super-fast. There are some parts where logic doesn't make sense (ex: "one plus one equals eight" logic), but the emotional parts of the book make up for it. Like what has been said before, it is simple to understand My Heart and Other Black Holes.

The ending is of hope, of potential energy, which is perhaps one of the most beautiful and heartfelt endings the author can give.

Overall, MY HEART AND OTHER BLACK HOLES is a story where light and dark are constantly at war against each other. It has two great characters, who share a wonderful though also morbid and deathly connection. It has internal journey. It has issues. It has complexity. MY HEART AND OTHER BLACK HOLES, which is an awesome and extraordinary title, is best recommended to those who want to see a little bit of hope and more hope.

Rating: Four out of Five

Source: Library
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Be Our Guest!

0.0 (0)
Join Gray Malin’s menagerie of wild animals for a stay...
Hat Tricks

0.0 (0)
Meet Hattie the magician―she’s a natural performer, and you’re invited...
Stanley's Toolbox

0.0 (0)
It’s another busy day with Stanley and friends! ...
Spring Is Here!

0.0 (0)
When spring arrives, baby animals come out to play with...
10 Things I Hate About Pinky

0.0 (0)
The delightful follow-up to When Dimple Met Rishi and There’s...
The Child of Chaos

0.0 (0)
This is what fantasy fiction should be." --Piers Anthony, New...
Want to Read Rate this book 1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars Preview Star-Spangled: The Story of a Flag, a Battle, and the American Anthem

0.0 (0)
“O say can you see” begins one of the most...

0.0 (0)
July 20, 1969. It’s a day that has earned a...
Thurgood Marshall

0.0 (0)
When Thurgood Marshall—the great grandson of a slave—was born, African...
Down Under the Pier

0.0 (0)
There’s lots of fun to be had up on the...
Lali's Feather

0.0 (0)
This endearing story of identification and values shows the rewards...

0.0 (0)
Book three in a hilarious new series featuring one boy...

0.0 (0)
Everything starts with a question, like this one: Why do...

0.0 (0)
Worries, fears, and anxieties are all dragons that sneak up...
The Copycat

0.0 (0)
A funny, unpredictable, and heartfelt new novel from Wendy McLeod...
DC Super Hero Girls: Powerless

0.0 (0)
The DC Super Hero Girls learn what it's like to...

Latest Member Reviews

Grasping at Eternity (Kindrily #1)

"*A thousand thanks to All Night Reads for the free review copy via Netgalley* Reincarnation is an interesting idea..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"Asunder continues the story of Ana, a Newsoul, the first one born in thousands of years among the people of..."

"I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from Grasping at Eternity, but it’s easy to say that it exceeded any..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"5/5 Asunder broke my heart, mended it, then shattered it again. My heart's current state: pieced together in..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"Find this review and more at On The Shelf! Jodi Meadows writes some of my favorite book scenes and..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"Incarnate was hands down the most unique book I read last year. It had dragons, fantastical equivalents to iPhone's (the..."

"Grasping at Eternity was a difficult but engaging read. The thing with the book is, so many things happen that..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"Asunder was simply breathtaking. By the time I reached the final page I was immediately craving the sequel. Asunder took..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"I won an ARC copy of glorious book through Zach's YA Reviews. Winning this book for free has in no..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

" I couldn't decide between 3.5 and 4, so I went with four because of Sam and the ending. ..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"The whole concept and plot of this series is so very original. The premise of souls being reincarnated and then..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"Asunder is an amazing follow-up to the wonderful Incarnate! The world is easily my favorite thing about this series, as..."