Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1892
Grief and the Guilt
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A NEED SO BEAUTIFUL is the first book I'd ever read from Suzanne Young. I have to admit that I wasn't a big fan of A NEED SO BEAUTIFUL, but I'm definitely a fan of THE REMEDY. What can I say? Suzanne Young gets better with time. THE REMEDY is the prequel of THE PROGRAM, and it stars Quinn as its main narrator (and Deacon has a chapter/spotlight where he absolutely shines).

Quinn is a closer who pretends to be a recently dead person. Doing this since an incredibly young age, Quinn is an incredibly hard character to understand and gauge. She can become anyone, and she can change her personality at will. In a way, she is like a chameleon of characteristics and personalities. But it is the smaller details where one has to look to see the true her. She cares about every family she has ever worked for, and she is one of the best closers. However, pretending has its toll on Quinn. With every person's personality she wears, the more Quinn comes closer to losing herself. Suzanne Young writes a very convincing character who is slowly, very slowly losing herself and her identity. Every time Quinn becomes someone else is a chance for Quinn to disappear completely.

The conflict isn't as straightforward as it could have been. Catalina's death does set off many questions, and the search for answers doesn't give many. It is clear to me that THE REMEDY is dependent on THE PROGRAM (the first book in this series). However, we focuses a lot more on Quinn and her mentality state, which is much more interesting than Catalina's death (no offense to Catalina, however).

The plot starts off with Quinn pretending to be a recently deceased girl. It is a bold way in, and Young starts it off with an emotional bang. The story is addicting, and the writing flows very smoothly. The book may not have many action scenes, but it does rely on emotional scenes that are wrecking in its own spectacular and agonizing way.

The ending... is devastating. I simply want to know more and more, and I'm eagerly waiting for a day when I have much time to read for a chance to read the sequel, THE PROGRAM. I'm left shocked, beyond shocked.

Overall, THE REMEDY is a twisty and crafty book. Young gets better with time, and she creates a strong story with absolutely full characters and a creepy corporation with a curious and sinister executive. THE REMEDY is the best from Suzanne Young so far. Perfect for those who love psychological thrillers, the prequel of THE PROGRAM sets off a great start to a brand new series by Suzanne Young.

Rating: Four out of Five
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Unleashed

0.0 (0)
In the terrifying sequel to The Haunted, Hendricks discovers that...
Paint by Sticker Kids: Dinosaurs: Create 10 Pictures One Sticker at a Time!

0.0 (0)
Create pictures of 10 awesome dinosaurs... with stickers! ...
Tad
Tad

0.0 (0)
From Benji Davies, the award-winning creator of The Storm Whale...
Go Get 'Em, Tiger! (A Hello!Lucky Book)

0.0 (0)
The perfect picture book to celebrate every milestone from the...
A World of Opposites

0.0 (0)
From ALONE and TOGETHER to ABOVE and BELOW, Gray Malin’s...
The Voting Booth

0.0 (0)
From Stonewall Award-winning author Brandy Colbert comes an all-in-one-day love...
Now & When

0.0 (0)
For fans of Jenny Han and Christine Riccio comes a...
Dating Makes Perfect

0.0 (0)
The Tech sisters don’t date in high school. Not because...
Now That I've Found You

0.0 (0)
Now That I've Found You is a YA novel about...
Entwined

0.0 (0)
Sometimes love gets a bit twisted. ...
A Girl in Three Parts

0.0 (0)
I can split myself in two . . . something...
The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1)

0.0 (0)
Amanda Hocking, the New York Times bestselling author of...
Scarlet Odyssey

0.0 (0)
Magic is women’s work; war is men’s. But in...
Honor Lost (The Honors, #3)

0.0 (0)
Quick-thinking Leviathan pilot Zara Cole must stop a planet-eating monster...
If...

0.0 (0)
Take a fantastical journey through an inspiring world where anything...

0.0 (0)
The power of the dragon totems is no longer a...

Latest Member Reviews

Paint by Sticker Kids: Dinosaurs: Create 10 Pictures One Sticker at a Time!

"PAINT BY STICKER KIDS: DINOSAURS is a really delightful creative journey. The book features ten dinosaurs which children can paint..."
Tad
Tad

"TAD is a colorful and engaging journey into the water, as we follow Tad, a tadpole. Tad lives with her..."
Go Get 'Em, Tiger! (A Hello!Lucky Book)

"GO GET 'EM, TIGER! is a brightly colored and delightful picture book of encouragement. The book features a tiger ("you")..."
A World of Opposites

"A WORLD OF OPPOSITES is a beautiful book of photography from around the world with a focus on opposites. Each..."
A Girl in Three Parts

"A GIRL IN THREE PARTS by Suzanne Daniel is a novel set in Sydney, Australia during the 1970’s. It follows..."
Goddess in the Machine (Goddess in the Machine, #1)

"Andra went into cryonic sleep for a hundred years for a trip across the universe to wake up as a..."
Honor Lost (The Honors, #3)

"HONORS LOST continues the Honors series as Zara, crew, and friends head out on a mission to stop the horrors..."
If...

"IF... is an imaginative picture book that features artwork imagining impossible scenarios in artwork, with simple text to correspond. For..."
Baby Up, Baby Down: A First Book of Opposites

"BABY UP, BABY DOWN is an adorable board book that teaches some basic opposites. Each page features a baby with..."
The Three Little Yogis and the Wolf Who Lost His Breath: A Fairy Tale to Help You Feel Better (Feel-Good Fairy Tales)

"THE THREE LITTLE YOGIS AND THE WOLF WHO LOST HIS BREATH is a great picture book that teaches children meditation..."
Neon Nights: A Sequel

"'Neon Nights' by Katey Taylor is an addictive sequel to 'Inebriated'. Cait has moved to San Diego to live with..."
Rival Magic

"Antonia, wizarding apprentice to Master Betrys, may not be the best at actual magic, but she tries her absolute best..."

"You will not be able to put down this book! A fast and suspenseful read that will grip you with..."
Be Our Guest!

"BE OUR GUEST! is a colorful book of photographs. The book takes us to a hotel, where a monkey named..."
Hat Tricks

"HAT TRICKS is a story of magic. Hattie the rabbit pops out of her magic hat to perform some magic...."
Stanley's Toolbox

"STANLEY'S TOOLBOX is a delightful board book that shows many tools in action as Stanley helps to repair Little Woo's..."
Spring Is Here!

"SPRING IS HERE! is a delightful board book that features several animals in the springtime setting. The book is extra..."
10 Things I Hate About Pinky

"10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT PINKY is a cute YA romance that features a fake-turned-real relationship and opposites-attract couple. Pinky..."
The Zombie Queen

"Tamara is the daughter of the Vampire Queen and the Zombie King. She is extremely powerful and is wanted by..."
Star-Spangled: The Story of a Flag, a Battle, and the American Anthem

"The War of 1812 isn't one that really captures the imagination of young readers like the Revolutionary or Civil War..."