Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 5967
High Fantasy for those new to the genre
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

The Inheritance Cycle certainly has a lot of pros and cons. But I think the pros definitely outweigh the cons. This is High Fantasy al la "The Wheel of Time" and of course, LOTR (in some cases quite literally so.) BUT, it is also a four book YOUNG ADULT series, each of a reasonable length. Inheritance does not require the huge time commitment as other similar fantasy series. It is an Epic tale for a YA audience and therefore it is a great segue for a young reader to emerge themselves into this amazing genre. I particularly enjoyed the dynamic between Eragon and his dragon, Saphira.
Bottom line: this first book was written by a very young author who was obviously deeply inspired by other works of the genre. But Paolini's version is meant for a young adult audience and shouldn't be compared to full epic masterpieces. Eragon is epic fantasy for a smaller appetite.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Phoebe Unfired

0.0 (0)
CONNECTING IS TOUGH WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN TOUCH ...
Thirty Talks Weird Love

0.0 (0)
A 13-year-old girl growing up in Mexico is visited by...
Admission

0.0 (0)
Lie. Cheat. Bribe. How far would you go to get...
Running

0.0 (0)
When fifteen-year-old Cuban American Mariana Ruiz’s father runs for president,...
City of Spells (Into the Crooked Place, #2)

0.0 (0)
City of Spells, the follow-up to Alexandra Christo's gritty YA...
Christmas Parade

0.0 (0)
A delightful Christmas board book filled with hilarious characters and...
Best Friend in the Whole World

0.0 (0)
Roland lives a quiet life filled with books, music, and...
Bird Show

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author-illustrator Susan Stockdale welcomes you to the Bird Show,...
Down Comes the Night

0.0 (0)
He saw the darkness in her magic. She saw...
My Book of Feelings (My World)

0.0 (0)
Inspired by the Montessori method of education this unique board...
Sweet & Bitter Magic

0.0 (0)
In this charming debut fantasy perfect for fans of Sorcery...
My High School Rebel Boyfriend

3.8 (2)

0.0 (0)
He’s a rebel with a cause… to make my...
The Castle School (for Troubled Girls)

0.0 (0)
From New York Times bestselling author Alyssa Sheinmel comes...
Dark Stars

0.0 (0)
Dorothy finds herself completely alone. Roman is dead. The...
Follow Your Arrow

0.0 (0)
For fans of Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera, this...
Daughter of Darkness

0.0 (0)
She is destined to kill a demon. He is...

Latest Member Reviews

Sting

"STING is an intriguing YA dystopian retelling of THE COUNT OF MONTE CHRISTO. The world has been ravaged by climate..."
Defy the Sun (The Offering Series, #2)

"DEFY THE SUN is a fantastic conclusion to this YA fantasy duology. This book picks up right where the first..."
Eve of Man

"EVE OF MAN by Giovanna and Tom Fletcher is the latest in YA dystopias. In the story, a phenomenon of..."
City of Beasts

"CITY OF BEASTS is the must-read dystopian of the fall. Highly recommend for fans of THE DIVERGENT, DARKEST MINDS, and/or..."
The Memory Thief

"THE MEMORY THIEF is an engrossing YA fantasy that will keep you turning pages late into the night. Etta lives..."
Breakout

"BREAKOUT by A.M. Rose is an edge-of-your-seat, YA dystopian adventure that will have you turning page after page well past..."
Breakout

"BREAKOUT is a thrilling and fast-paced YA sci-fi/dystopian. Lezah is in prison for a crime she cannot remember. This future..."
The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe

"THE LAST VOYAGE OF POE BLYTHE is a fascinating YA fantasy/dystopian that is even better than Condie's Matched series. The..."
Never Fade (The Darkest Minds #2)

""Never Fade" continues the Darkest Minds series with what felt a bit like an intermediate book. Beginning after the end..."
True Born

"“True Born” is one of my new favorites- a really fantastic YA fantasy. Lucinda (aka Lucy and Lu) and her..."
True North (True Born Trilogy)

"“True North” is a fantastic continuation of the True Born series. Lucy is on her own with her parents and..."
True North (True Born Trilogy)

"When her parents take her sister to Russia, Lucy has nobody except the True Born Storm. Lucy agrees to be..."