Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 4420
A refreshing tale with one heck of a couple that sets it apart from all other Dystopians out today.
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

What I Loved: Ivy. Plain and simple. That girl is just all kinds of awesome and I admired her character so much. Her loyalty was so unwavering, even when it was detrimental to her, she would not budge. And I appreciated her views on how their society was shaped and the injustice, not to just women, but to men as well once she thought about it (even though the men still get the longer end of the stick, so to speak). And Bishop, well that boy won me over after that laundry scene, that’s for sure. Such a sweetheart. Also, I totally ship Ivy and Bishop in the best possible way. Watching them fall in love was so pleasurable. They have a kind of innocent, slow-building romance that’s hard to capture and I think Angel did an amazing job. I certainly fell for them as a couple.

Left Me Wanting More: Like I said above, I loved Ivy, but at times she surprised me in a bad way. Considering her views on things, she surprised me with how she never acted on them. A lot of things happen in this book, in particular, an abusive marriage she sees clear as day in front of her face, and she does nothing about it. Yes, I know she was all about “the plan” and laying low, but for someone with such strong morals and beliefs, I expected more from her in that aspect. I’ve seen it time and time again when MCs see something they don’t like, they do something about it. Yes, often times the consequences for their actions is dire, but then that’s what builds suspense and drama and moves the story along. Ivy was a bit too cautious in that way, which I didn’t like and it made the story move just a tad slowly at times.

Final Verdict: The Book of Ivy was a very enthralling introduction to what I’m sure will be one of my favorite dystopian series, and that’s saying something! Kill me with that cliffhanger though, now I’m dying for Book 2.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Twin

0.0 (0)
After their parents divorced, 10-year-old twins Ivy and Iris were...
Devil Darling Spy

0.0 (0)
It's 1940, and Sarah Goldstein is hiding in plain sight...
The Life Below

0.0 (0)
It was hard enough for Naomi to leave Leo, a...
Mr Penguin and the Fortress of Secrets (Mr Penguin #2)

0.0 (0)
Meet Mr. Penguin―Adventurer (And Penguin!) When Mr. Penguin...
Famous by Default

0.0 (0)
Jax Buried, By my family's fame. Dying to escape...
Sword and Pen (Great Library Book, #5)

0.0 (0)
With the future of the Great Library in doubt,...
Butterfly Yellow

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of Elizabeth Acevedo, Ibi Zoboi, and...
Jonny Lambert's Construction Site

0.0 (0)
A beautifully illustrated book for babies featuring lots of noisy...
Pop-Up Peekaboo! Baby Animals

0.0 (0)
Take your toddler on a rain forest adventure and find...
Seven Deadly Shadows

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Kira Fujikawa has never had it easy. She’s...
Pet
Pet

0.0 (0)
The highly-anticipated, genre-defying new novel by award-winning author Akwaeke...
Gray (The Wings Trilogy, #3)

0.0 (0)
The long anticipated finale to the Wings Trilogy. ...
Black (The Wings Trilogy, #2)

0.0 (0)
"I was the weak link in the chain, and the...
Two Worlds of Redemption (Two Worlds, #3)

0.0 (0)
Finally presented to the Allinan public, Maray’s life at court...
Two Worlds of Oblivion (Two Worlds, #2)

0.0 (0)
The blood that holds the power to change the fate...
Two Worlds of Provenance (Two Worlds, #1)

0.0 (0)
Her fate lies just one world away… ...

Latest Member Reviews

Butterfly Yellow

"BUTTERFLY YELLOW is a heartfelt and engrossing historical fiction. Hang is in the US, searching for her younger brother. After..."
The Iliad

"Long ago in Ancient Greece, a prince of Troy, Paris, steals the most beautiful woman in the world from another..."
Mera: Tidebreaker

"Mera: Tidebreaker is the first in DC's new DC Ink line, and with Aquaman's recent release, it's not surprise this..."
The Six

"“The Six” is an intriguing sci-fi book about Adam Armstrong, who has Duchenne muscular dystrophy and is nearing his death..."
Grenade

"Hideki is a 13-year-old Okinawan and Ray is a United States Marine. Both are play important roles in the "Love..."
The Tiger's Watch (Ashes of Gold #1)

"I’m in two minds about this novella. While there was a part of me that was intrigued by the general..."
Ronit and Jamil

"Ronit & Jamil has been a wonderful ride. It actually surprised me that it was written in prose. but then..."
The Tiger's Watch (Ashes of Gold #1)

"Tashi has had a rough life. With the power of an inhabitor, someone who bonds with an animal, they have..."
Ronit and Jamil

"RONIT AND JAMIL is a novel in verse that tells the story of two young lovers on opposite sides of..."
The Almost Girl

"What worked: Amazing futuristic world where Terminator meets Sliders with one kick ass heroine. Riven is a tough, hard..."
The Almost Girl

"Riven, the title character in Amalie Howard's THE ALMOST GIRL, is a teenager from another world and a warrior. She..."
If You're Reading This

"This YA contemporary centers around an almost 16-year-old boy named Michael Wilson, and his coming-of-age struggles as he shoulders the..."
A School for Unusual Girls: A Stanje House Novel

"A SCHOOL FOR UNUSUAL GIRLS is not exactly what I expected. It's a strange but workable mix of science, espionage,..."
The Six

"What happens when you take six dying teens and upload their brains into the most technologically advanced robots ever created..."
The Almost Girl

"Two ninjatas, two worlds, two sisters, two princes; The Almost Girl by Amalie Howard is full of dualism. The hook..."
Dead Zone (Blackout #2)

"Dead Zone is the sequel to Robison Well's book Black Out. It is about a group of teenagers infected..."
If You're Reading This

"Mike has a lot on his plate. He does well academically, but he also has to work a lot to..."
The Almost Girl

"Romance, royalty, and rebellion. Riven is on an unofficial mission to secure a target, but that sounds simple enough when..."
The Forgotten Tale of Larsa

"Authors Biography Seja Majeed is a British Iraqi with an Honours degree in law from Brunel Law School..."
How I Live Now

"A brilliant and different book. The story of a girl who goes to England from America just before a fictional..."