Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1962
Deliciously dark and twisty.
(Updated: April 03, 2015)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A magical and haunting story that will leave you wondering what's real, WHEN MY HEART WAS WICKED is Tricia Stirling's debut novel.

Lucy wasn't always the good girl. She didn't always wear cute clothes and smile at strangers on the street. When Lucy is forced to move downstate to Chico with her mother, who was recently released from prison, everything about her life changes. Lucy must face the darkness in her mother, and within herself.

With strong, concise writing and well-developed characters, WICKED is a pleasure to read. The prose is delightful, twisting and winding around the plot to move the story forward in the most interesting and fantastical ways. I loved the descriptions of nature, the intricate spell-castings and clever balance between reality and fantasy that Lucy is constantly struggling to maintain. Is Lucy's mother crazy for believing in the magic, or is it all real? I think it's clear that there is magic in Lucy's world, but another reader could make an entirely different interpretation, and I might believe them.

I wanted nothing more from this story. Everything is contained in less than 200 pages, and that is a result of Stirling's skilled writing. Every word matters, every sentence was carefully constructed, and every adjective could have several meanings. The complex yet concise writing lends a depth to the story that you wouldn't expect from such a small book.

Highly recommended for those looking for a complex and haunting story of self-discovery and coping with change. WHEN MY HEART WAS WICKED is a strong, nuanced debut.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Two friends in the 1980's were graduating from Cosmetology School....
Twisting Minds

0.0 (0)
How can you trust your heart when you can't trust...
The Art of Holding On

0.0 (0)
Life happens, whether you’re ready or not. All you can...
Breaking Through: How Female Athletes Shattered Stereotypes in the Roaring Twenties

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author Sue Macy offers a fresh and timely account...
Outlawed

0.0 (0)
OUTLANDER meets Robin Hood. Traveling through time...
The Path We Take

0.0 (0)
He’s alone He’s tattooed He’s badly burnt ...
Half-Blood Mage

0.0 (0)
A cursed dragon hunter A half-blood mage...

0.0 (0)
If genetic engineering could guarantee you and your family perfect...
Slayer (Slayer, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into every generation a Slayer is born… ...
Magic Bound

0.0 (0)
Starting a new school is never easy and this time...
When Wishes Bleed

0.0 (0)
One Prince. One Witch. One Fate. ...
Dealing in Dreams

0.0 (0)
The Outsiders meets Mad Max: Fury Road in this fast-paced...
Girls With Sharp Sticks (Girls With Sharp Sticks, #1)

0.0 (0)
Some of the prettiest flowers have the sharpest thorns. ...

0.0 (0)
Young Trib follows orders and fights. The Puritanics are...
Fae Hunter

0.0 (0)
Can one mortal take on all of Faerieland? ...
Rising

0.0 (0)
Four tests. Seven days. Nine teens. ...

Latest Member Reviews

Jane Anonymous: A Novel

"JANE ANONYMOUS follows two timelines: one while Jane was captured for 7 months and one after she is back home...."
Wilder Girls

" THIS WAS INCREDIBLE. This book reads like BUTTER...… Moldy, rotten, disgusting butter,..."
Jane Anonymous: A Novel

"Told from the perspective of a girl who was captured and escaped, JANE ANONYMOUS is a thriller of both physical..."
Pax Novis (The Pax Archives, #1)

"PAX NOVIS is an engaging YA sci-fi novel that takes place in the future, when humans have colonized other planets...."
I'm Not Dying with You Tonight

"Los Angeles, Ferguson, and Baltimore. Three cities where years of racism, injustice, unchecked police brutality, and rampant anti-Black racism came..."
The Grace Year

"It’s been one week since I finished The Grace Year by Kim Liggett as I sit down to start this..."
All the Things We Do in the Dark

"ALL THE THINGS WE DO IN THE DARK is an intensely challenging and thought-provoking read with some magical realism elements...."
Creep

"CREEP is an interesting YA thriller/horror that follows an incoming high school freshman, Olivia (Liv). Olivia lives in a small..."
The Missing Season

"Urban legend in the town of Pender has it every October the Mumbler snatches a kid. Local authorities brush the..."
Wilder Girls

"The top 3 reasons you need WILDER GIRLS by Rory Power on your shelf: 1.) The characters:..."
T-Minus

"T-MINUS is a fast-paced YA thriller that is billed as 24 for teens. Sophie Washington, the character from whose perspective..."
The Athena Protocol

"THE ATHENA PROTOCOL was a fantastic YA spy/thriller that pulls you in from the start. Jessie is an agent of..."
Every Stolen Breath

"EVERY STOLEN BREATH is an engrossing read that follows Lia as she attempts to uncover her father's killers. Every so..."
Darkness on the Edge of Town (Stranger Things )

"Darkness on the Edge of Town is a fascinating glimpse into Hopper's past. Being a big fan of Hopper since..."
#Murderfunding (#MurderTrending, #2)

"#Murderfunding is an engaging and fast-paced sequel to #murdertrending. Alcatraz 2.0 has been shut down and #CinderellaSurvivor (Dee) and her..."
Salvation Day

"Zahra wants the world to know the truth about her father. She believes he wasn't to blame for the deaths..."
Wilder Girls

"Beware. Wilder Girls will draw you in, softy whispering tendrils creeping through your mind and thorny vines entangling your heart..."
The Grace Year

"THE HANDMAID'S TALE meets LORD OF THE FLIES in this dark, atmospheric, and sweeping YA dystopian. Tierney James is 16-years-old,..."
Breakout

"BREAKOUT by A.M. Rose is an edge-of-your-seat, YA dystopian adventure that will have you turning page after page well past..."
All Eyes on Us

"GOSSIP GIRL meets PRETTY LITTLE LIARS in this YA thriller. ALL EYES ON US follows Rosalie and Amanda in back..."