Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 4091
Great first book
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

As a child, Kami Glass had an imaginary friend, like so many children. But hers didn't disappear as she got older. She still talks to him even though doing that makes her an outsider in her small town called Sorry-in-the-Vale but Kami doesn't think it's hurt her to much. She has her best friend, she runs the school newspaper, and she's rarely caught talking to her imaginary friend out loud these days. Everything is going well. Until the Lynburn family moves back to town, twin sisters with their sons, Jared and Ash, and Kami is determined to get answers to why everyone in town is afraid of the Lynburns, why they ran so many years ago, why they're back, and why there's something so familiar about Jared.

This book ended up being a lot of fun to read. I loved the voice of the main character, it reminded me at times of Veronica Mars(which will never be a bad thing). The mythology surrounding the Lynburns and the whole town was really interesting and I enjoyed Kami and her group working to solve the mystery of who was behind the rituals in the woods.

Kami was a very likeable character. She made me laugh at a lot of her comments and thoughts. She reminded of Veronica Mars in more ways than just her voice, her determination to solve the mystery, getting her friends involved, throwing herself headfirst into her plan to uncover a clue. I liked that she was an outsider and it wasn't much of an issue for her. She had what she wanted and she was happy. Also, the relationship between her and her parents, especially her father, was great.

I also really liked the relationships she had and formed with other characters. Her best friend Angela was hilarious so much of the time, just wanting to sleep but going along with Kami anyway, making comments toward the Lynburn boys. Holly was added into the mix and she was really sweet. And then there were the two Lynburn boys. Jared and Ash, both mysterious but Ash was definitely more friendly and Jared was more of the troublemaker. I really liked the dynamic between Ash and Jared and it made me excited to see where it goes in the next book.

The supernatural mystery and the investigation was really well done. They would think they knew something, be wrong, come back to discover another clue and be off again. It was a good build-up to the final reveal where the action got really fast-paced. The whole book was just really well-paced, never slow, never too fast, never too much information or too many twists to handle.

I really liked the writing style, which I knew I would from Sarah Rees Brennan's other books. It worked so well with Kami's voice and it made for a book I just didn't want to put down.

I will definitely be reading the sequel, Untold, very soon.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account