Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2242
Loved it!
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Faking Faithby Josie Bloss is like the website Homeschoolers Anonymous in novel form. It tells the story of a teenage girl from Chicago named Dylan who faces high school hell after a sexting incident. In her despair, Dylan becomes obsessed with fundamentalist homeschooled bloggers, and most especially a blogger named Abigail. After starting her own blog using the pseudonym “Faith”, Dylan is eventually invited to Abigail’s farm for a two-week vacation where she gets a whole new type of education.

Faking Faith never mentions the Advanced Training Institute by name, but ATI is written all over Abigail’s life. At seventeen and a half, her formal education is complete and she prepares for life as a professional “stay-at-home-daughter”, or else must submit to whatever husband her father chooses for her, whether that be the boy next door, or a creepy twenty-eight year old molester.

In addition to showing all the negatives, Bloss does an awesome job depicting the seductive nature of the ATI lifestyle. To Dylan as the outsider, she’s a bit jealous of Abigail’s family dinners, well-behaved siblings, and the fact that Abigail’s parents are concerned about guarding Abigail’s heart and making sure she doesn’t fall in love with the wrong person.

I loved Faking Faith so much that I read it start to finish in one day. Half way through my mind started churning with all the people who should know about this book: R.L. Stollar at Overturning Tables, Jerry at Hersey in the Heartland–the entire Recovering Grace community. If I was Josie Bloss’s publicist I would mail out a case of copies to Homeschoolers Anonymous and let them distribute at will.

Every time I turn on my computer it seems I see another news article about how “cute” and wonderful the Duggars are. Nobody mentions the dark side. A while back I wrote an article on my blog called: “What ordinary moms should know about the Bill Gothard Scandal.” Josie Bloss has shared that same information in novel form. Faking Faith is brilliant.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Discovering the Underground with Snow White (Fairytale Encyclopedia)

0.0 (0)
There are not only dwarves in the underground. This hidden...
Rock by Rock: The Fantastical Garden of Nek Chand

0.0 (0)
This luminous picture book tells the fascinating true story of...
Bisa's Carnaval

0.0 (0)
Discover the sights and sounds of Brazil through the eyes...
Redemptor (Raybearer, #2)

0.0 (0)
The highly anticipated sequel to Raybearer, the instant New York...
Dark and Shallow Lies

0.0 (0)
A teen girl disappears from her small town deep in...
Imposters

5.0 (1)
Frey and Rafi are inseparable . . . but very...
Better Than the Movies

5.0 (1)
Liz Buxbaum has always known that Wes Bennett was not...
African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

5.0 (1)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Count to LOVE! (A Bright Brown Baby Board Book)

5.0 (1)
Cuddle up with your little one and get ready to...
The Mystery of the Meanest Teacher: A Johnny Constantine Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
THE MYSTERY OF THE MEANEST TEACHER: A JOHNNY CONSTANTINE GRAPHIC...

0.0 (0)
A shocking thriller about a group of friends who go...
Bird Boy

0.0 (0)
Take flight in this heartwarming story about a boy who...
Love You By Heart

0.0 (0)
Acclaimed creator of The Word Collector, Happy Dreamer, Say Something,...
Fa-La-La Llama (Touch-and-Feel Board Book)

0.0 (0)
Get ready to deck the halls with these joyful, singing,...
The Oddmire, Book 3: Deepest, Darkest

0.0 (0)
The third adventure in the beloved fantasy series full of...
The Oddmire, Book 2: The Unready Queen

0.0 (0)
Human-raised brothers Tinn and Cole join forces with Fable, daughter...

Latest Member Reviews

It Ends in Fire

"IT ENDS IN FIRE is an engaging YA fantasy with magic, politics, and rebellion. Alka lives in the Marovian Republic,..."
In the Hall with the Knife

"Blackbrook Academy is an elite school in Maine with rigorous competition. When a storm strikes, a group of students, their..."
The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)

"THE HAND ON THE WALL is a thrilling conclusion to the TRULY DEVIOUS series. Here, the students are at Ellingham,..."
The Vanishing Stair

"THE VANISHING STAIR continues the TRULY DEVIOUS plot as Stevie returns to the enigmatic private school, Ellingham. Stevie becomes more..."
Truly Devious

"TRULY DEVIOUS is a YA mystery that takes place at an enigmatic high school. Ellingham was founded by a very..."
The Vanishing Stair

"Feedback As soon as I finished the first book I was so eager to continue. I absolutely loved Truly..."
Truly Devious

"Feedback I absolutely loved this book. It was a buddy read for me and it sounded interesting so I..."

"In this re imagining of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes as a child, we find John Watson newly enrolled at Baker Street..."
Sherlock Holmes and the Disappearing Diamond (Baker Street Academy #1)

"In this re imagining of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes as a child, we find John Watson newly enrolled at Baker Street..."
Ride: Kit Meets Covington

"Kit and her father Rudy are moving from Montana to the posh Covington Academy in England where her father is..."
Without Annette

"WHAT I LOVED: It’s honestly easier to begin with what readers won’t get from Without Annette so they can adjust..."
Mischief at Midnight

"Edie is back at Knight's Haddon for another term. She was separated from Anastasia during the summer and can't wait..."
Mischief at Midnight

"Edie and Anastasia return to Knight's Haddon after their adventures in The Girl with the Glass Bird only to find..."
Pilfer Academy

"George is known around his community for getting into trouble, and his antics capture the attention of the Pilfer Academy,..."
Openly Straight

"Rafe's entire life has been colored by the fact that he is gay. He is comfortable with who he..."
Openly Straight

"Openly Straight addresses the fact that being gay is just one of the traits of one person, and being gay..."
Rites of Passage

"Rites of Passage is just one of those gems that you never see coming. It definitely surprised me how much..."
Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School #2)

"From ballgowns and bowler hats, to parties and prototypes, Curtsies & Conspiracies will capture your attention, your mind and your..."
Rites of Passage

"First Impressions I got an ARC of Rites of Passage this month on a whim. It looked interesting and..."
Rites of Passage

"Sam McKenna comes from a military family. Combine that with a love for dares, it makes sense that her oldest..."