Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 3177
Not What I Expected, But Still Good
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE RUN-DOWN
After World War 3, a few survivors were able to escape to Alaska and form their own clan. Juneau, having grown up within the clan, is used to this life. A life of protecting her clan from war survivors, hunting, using the Yara, and being with her clan. But when her clan disappears, she finds out that World War 3 never happened. But when she's trying to find her clan, others are trying to find her for more sinister reasons.

MY THOUGHTS
I'm not quite sure what I was expecting.
I knew that this book was about a girl who believed her entire life that the world practically ended, only to realize that the world is still turning, but what next? I had no idea what to expect after that. I knew there had to be more, that it wasn't going to be Juneau getting used to the modern day world, the book just didn't put off that kind of vibe. But, too be honest, I was taken by surprise at the direction this book turned.

Sure, I was not expecting that a drug company, and others, would be hunting her down, I sure wasn't expecting that, but what I really wasn't expecting was the strange magical element that was within this book. Apparently, Juneau and her clan can connect with the Yara, which is, basically, using nature to get superpowers (i.e. see the future, see great distance, control animals, etc.). I'm sorry, but this made the book very strange. I also had a hard time understanding how this Yara thing worked and a hard time believing that this could actually be possible.

Now, the characters were kind of hard for me to relate to or understand (I have never been part of a clan that uses nature to get superpowers) but I do believe that the characterization is spot on.
This book is, actually, dual point-of-view (something else I was not expecting). One view being, of course, Juneau. The other view is a teenage boy named Miles who's father is in search of a girl who knows something about the drug (I bet you know who this girl is). At first, this dual point-of-view is really strange. We get a bunch of pages of Juneau, then about a page of Miles that tell us absolutely nothing. Miles eventually gets longer chapters and actually contributes to the story, but it does seem weird at first.
The reason as to why the characterization was so great though was because from Juneau we have a girl who grew up believing that the world ended and grew up within a clan that was basically one with nature. She is confused about the modern world and is more comfortable in the wilderness. Now Miles is just an average teenage guy who has to take Juneau on a road trip and to him, she's a crazy chick. Why do I like these characterizations? THEY MAKE SENSE!!!! Someone who grew up outside the modern world would definetly not understand it and if that person started talking to you about see the future with the Yara you bet you're going to call them crazy.

One thing I did not like was the romance. Yeah, it's a YA book, there's bound to be romance, but this book felt like one of those forced romances."Like, hey, we have a guy character and a girl character. Let's make them have strange irresistible feelings for eachother that make no sense. Also, let's have an awkward kiss" This was basically the romance.

I also want to touch up on the ending. I knew before hand that this book was going to end in a cliffhanger which worried me. THE CLIFFHANGER IS NOT THAT BAD. Sure, I might be saying that since this book didn't wow me, but the book ended in a way that you knew what was going to happen. The book just ended before that could happen.

IN CONCLUSION
Well, this is probably my longest review and I apologize for that.
This book took me by surprise, and, sadly, I did not enjoy the surprise. I found the magical elements just plain weird and the romance pointless. I did kind of like the characters in a way and I liked the original premise of the story, just not the direction it went.
I will be reading the sequel, since I did actually like this book.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Jackaby

0.0 (0)
Newly arrived in New Fiddleham, New England, 1892, and in...
Gutter Girl (Twin River High, #1)

0.0 (0)
Star football player Jace Rovers has a secret. And not...
The Last Fallen Star (Gifted Clans, #1)

0.0 (0)
Riley Oh can't wait to see her sister get initiated...
Take Me Home: Forests of the World

5.0 (1)
Bite-sized facts about forests from around the globe, pointing out...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to the...
All Kinds of Other

0.0 (0)
In this tender, nuanced coming-of-age love story, two boys—one who...
Reign of Secrets

0.0 (0)
At the Midnight Ball, leave your inhibitions at the...
The Forest of Stolen Girls

0.0 (0)
1426, Joseon (Korea). Hwani's family has never been the...
Go the Distance

4.5 (2)

0.0 (0)
What if Meg had to become a god? After...
In Deeper Waters

0.0 (0)
A young prince must rely on a mysterious stranger...
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

0.0 (0)
When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates...
Take Me Home: Waters of the World

0.0 (0)
Bite-sized facts about bodies of water from around the globe,...
This Is My America

0.0 (0)
The Hate U Give meets Just Mercy in this unflinching...
Colors in Nature

0.0 (0)
Magnificent, hand-painted illustrations by a rising star of Czech watercolor...
Welcome to Arizona

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Arizona! We're glad you're here! Introducing a new...
I Don't Want to Go to School

0.0 (0)
It's Mouse's first day of school. It's Dinosaur's first day...

Latest Member Reviews

The Morning Flower (The Omte Origins, #2)

"THE MORNING FLOWER continues the OMTE ORIGINS story as Ulla continues to search for her heritage and for the missing..."
The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1)

"THE LOST CITY is a highly engaging YA fantasy read about Ulla, a troll. Trolls are secretive creatures who live..."
The Archer at Dawn (The Tiger at Midnight, #2)

"THE ARCHER AT DAWN is a fantastic sequel in the THE TIGER AT MIDNIGHT trilogy. This second book picks up..."
Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)

"I never wanted to be a superhero as a child, but I wanted to do heroic things. Tristan Strong epitomizes..."
Between Worlds: Folktales of Britain and Ireland

"BETWEEN WORLDS: FOLKTALES OF BRITAIN AND IRELAND is a collection of short stories that have been passed down over centuries..."
Kai and the Monkey King (Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #3)

"KAI AND THE MONKEY KING is an engaging and thrilling installment in the Brownstone's Mythical Collection series. In this book,..."
The Girl The Sea Gave Back

"THE GIRL THE SEA GAVE BACK is a stand-alone companion novel to THE SKY IN THE DEEP. A historical fantasy..."
Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)

"Tristan Strong isn't doing too well. He lost his best friend, Eddie, in a bus accident, lost a boxing match,..."
Mulan: The Legend of the Woman Warrior

"When Mulan's father receives a summoning to join the emperor's army, Mulan knows he's too old to make it through..."
Snow & Rose

"NOTE: Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."
The Jumbie God's Revenge (The Jumbies, #3)

"THE JUMBIE GOD'S REVENGE is an even more amazing installment in a middle grade fantasy/horror series. As a third book,..."
Rise of the Jumbies (The Jumbies, #2)

"RISE OF THE JUMBIES is a fantastic continuation of Corinne's story. Combining Caribbean folklore with lots of adventure, this book..."
The Twelve

"Usagi lives in a world where some children are born with extraordinary powers, either ones that are animal like qualities..."
The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight, #1)

"THE TIGER AT MIDNIGHT is a lush YA fantasy that follows two primary characters in alternating points-of-view. Esha is known..."
The Girl The Sea Gave Back

"When Tova is saved by the Svell's Tala, Jorrund, she becomes their key to peek at the future. Tora is..."
Elixir (Covenant Series #3.5)

"This was so refreshing, to see a little snippet into the almost perfect Aiden's head, we get to see how..."
Norse Myths: Tales of Odin, Thor and Loki

"From the stories to the wonderfully creepy illustrations, Norse Myths offers a comprehensive look at all the tales of the..."
Legacy of Kings

"Legacy of Kings was not a bad book per se, but I found it a confusing, frequently boring one. Perhaps..."
Return of the Vinetropes

"What a unique and wonderful story told by a gifted writer! What I loved most is that there's something for..."
A Thousand Beginnings and Endings

"A THOUSAND BEGINNINGS AND ENDINGS is a collection of fifteen short stories, edited by Ellen Oh and Elsie Chapman. All..."