Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1800
Dark & Different
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

What I Loved:

The opening scene in DOROTHY MUST DIE is absolutely compelling and does an excellent job of making readers feel strongly connected to the heroine. Throughout the novel, the writer continues to touch base with the heroine's emotions and deliver them in a way that will resonate strongly with readers. Secondary character development is hit or miss, but the twisted versions of Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Dorothy will scare readers into turning the pages faster just to see what happens next.

The settings are exceptionally well executed. From the small town trailer park to the surreal, gritty version of Oz that exists now that Dorothy is in charge, the setting is atmospheric and dark and feels like a palpable force at work within the story. Readers will love seeing this re-imagined Oz with its darkness, its magic, and its twisted ways.

The ending, while potentially frustrating for readers who love to have their stories tied up neatly, leaves readers wanting the next book immediately. This is a series that will resonate with readers who love dark, gritty, and different, and those readers are going to snatch up every book the instant they become available.

What Left Me Wanting More:

There were moments in the narrative where the lovely weirdness of Oz seems to take over the plot to the point that the reader gets a bit lost as to what exactly is going on. The pacing starts off strong but then slows tremendously once Amy reaches the castle. There is still a great deal of tension, especially when the Tin Man or the Scarecrow come on scene, but there are also a number of moments when a very simple decision would solve the entire problem and coincidence seems to get in the way. Readers who want characters that see the obvious and act upon it may find that frustrating.

Finally, without spoiling the ending, I will say that the book ends up feeling like one long set-up for what will surely be an action-packed and exciting sequel. With so many missions on Amy's To Do list, the ending felt abrupt and anti-climactic. Readers who want every book in a series to carry its own weight with plot resolution and action may want to wait until book two is released before dipping into this series.

Final Verdict:

Deliciously dark and twisted, DOROTHY MUST DIE is a slow-moving atmospheric story that lays the groundwork for an action-packed sequel.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Send Me Their Souls (Bring Me Their Hearts, #3)

0.0 (0)
There are worse things than death. ...
The Walrus and the Caribou

0.0 (0)
When the earth was new, words had the power to...
The Elephant's Umbrella

0.0 (0)
Elephant is always ready and willing to share her prized...
Calvin Gets the Last Word

0.0 (0)
The dictionary as narrator? YES! ...
Goblin King (Permafrost, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)

0.0 (0)
Morrigan battles a new evil as a strange, frightening illness...
The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)

0.0 (0)
*AN INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER* From New York...
Earth-Shattering Events: Volcanoes, earthquakes, cyclones, tsunamis and other natural disasters

0.0 (0)
An atlas of the most extreme meteorological and geological disasters...
Among the Beasts and Briars

0.0 (0)
Ashley Poston, acclaimed author of Heart of Iron, returns...
Gut Garden: A journey into the wonderful world of your microbiome

0.0 (0)
A journey into the wonderful world of your microbiome! Within...
ICK! Delightfully Disgusting Animal Dinners, Dwellings, and Defenses

0.0 (0)
Animals--they're cute and fluffy, cuddly and puffy, and ... sometimes...
Dinosaurs Are Not Extinct: Real Facts About Real Dinosaurs

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author-illustrator Drew Sheneman brings budding paleontologists the truth about...
The Camelot Betrayal

0.0 (0)
The second book in a new fantasy trilogy from New...
Soulswift

0.0 (0)
A dark, epic fantasy about a girl who must rethink...
Goblin King

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Beautiful Wild

0.0 (0)
You are invited to set sail on the maiden voyage...

Latest Member Reviews

Sounder

"HarperCollins issued a revised edition of this on 30 Decemember 2019. This 1970 Newbery winner is set in the deep..."
Holes

"Important message. Unique perspective."
Bud, Not Buddy

"Bud not Buddy is awesome! im in year 9 and im reading it in school for an assignment. On the..."
Holes

"A family curse, a false accusation, a local legend, and a series of coincidences come together in this generation-spanning tale..."
Before I Fall

"Love this book! One of my favorites."
Speak

"It's a fast read."

""Pretties" is a continuation of the Uglies series where Tally Youngblood has now returned to the city and become a..."
The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles #1)

""The Adoration of Jenna Fox" is the story of a teenager who wakes up from a coma without any memories..."
It's Kind of a Funny Story

"A mature contemporary YA, set in New York City. The story is told in first-person present-tense, exclusively from the perspective..."
Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack #1)

"This first-person present-tense piece of historical YA fiction begins a bit like a Charles Dicken’s work—eighteenth-century London, poor destitute orphan,..."
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1)

"This one took a while to get into. I didn't warm much to Grace. She didn't seem to have much..."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Definitely the reason why I decided to reread this was because of the show. and now that I finished reading..."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Thirteen Reasons Why (stylised as Th1rteen R3eason Why) follows shy high school teenager Clay Jensen. Clay has received a..."
Tiger Eyes

"4.5 Stars A great and emotional read. A young teenage girl; Davey struggles with the loss of her father..."
The Lonely Hearts Club

" 4.5 Stars! This was a fun and sweet read. Definitely for fans of contemporary ya books. Penny Lane..."
The Lonely Hearts Club

"4.5 Stars! This was a fun and sweet read. Definitely for fans of contemporary ya books. Penny Lane is..."
Angus, Thongs & Full Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #1)

DA Dragon Authors
"I (Erin) bought this one as a “blind date” from Malaprops. They wrap books in brown paper and write things..."

"The Deathday Letter by Shaun David Hutchinson is a young adult standalone novel. This is not the first book by..."

"Nick O’Leary, the straight bass player in queercore punk band, is playing at a club in downtown Manhattan when he..."

"This is not one of my favorite books, it's a bit too sad for me. I will say that this..."