Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1577
Hilarious New Adult Novel
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

What I Liked:
Boomerang is, I think, new adult enough according to the traditional formula to please your general new adult reader. If you’re here for sexy times, incredibly hot characters, and spontaneous boners, then you’re going to leave happy. Boomerang has this in spades. While the sexy stuff definitely isn’t as central in Boomerang as perhaps is the case with most others, it’s present enough to scratch that itch.

What Boomerang doesn’t have is tortured pasts and unhappy families. Both characters are loved and supported by their parents. Not only that but the parents actually have personalities. It’s downright amazing. As dark as Boomerang gets is financial problems for Ethan and the declining health of Mia’s grandmother. New adult has burned me on issues, particularly since a history of abuse is so often cured by a few good orgasms, which no. There is none of that here and I’m so glad for that.

In place of that, Boomerang focuses primarily on Ethan and Mia figuring out what they want to do with their lives. The biggest part of transitioning from young adulthood to adulthood is figuring out how the heck you’re going to support yourself and be independent. It’s slowly taking over financial independence from your parents’, at least if you’re lucky enough to have had them continue to pay for things (or pay for things ever). It’s getting degrees or internships or first jobs. It’s trying a career and deciding that’s not what you actually want to do with your life. Boomerang deals with this heavily, as Ethan and Mia compete for an actual job at the end of their marketing internships at Boomerang.

The other thing I really liked about Boomerang was the humor. A couple of chapters had me actually laughing out loud. Seriously, the first dates via the Boomerang site killed me. Then there are great lines like this:

Am I in love with him?

I don’t know. I only know I want to see him, just to sit with him, breath the same air. Okay, maybe attack him like an expensive buffet.

Both Ethan and Mia are really funny, though Mia especially. They’re silly and they reference pop culture. They actually banter. They do get eye-rollingly serious sometimes, but they spend more time amusing me.

What Left Me Wanting More:
Ethan and Mia’s romance, in tied and tested romance tradition evolve more quickly into something serious than I find particularly believable. I also found the actual kissy, romantic scenes to be pretty out of the box. They felt very much like all the others I’d read before. Boomerang‘s a great addition to new adult, but I think it’s strengths lie in what makes it stand out from the crowd. Though I’m not opposed to them, I never really ended up having strong feelings about Ethan and Mia’s relationship. I am, however, very much approving of the secondary character hookups.

The Final Verdict:
Boomerang is a fun read for those who have been wishing new adult novels would sacrifice some sex scenes in exchange for some actual new adultiness.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

In My Heart

0.0 (0)
A working mother reassures her child that even when they’re...
Grandpa's Stories

0.0 (0)
One young girl reflects on a year with her beloved...
The Nest That Wren Built

0.0 (0)
Nature lovers and poetry fans alike will be drawn to...
Moonwalker

0.0 (0)
So, you want to know about Jack Wilson? Here’s some...
Elysium Girls

0.0 (0)
From a lush, dazzlingly original new voice in young adult...
The Lost Legends

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
A plague. A prophecy. A centuries-long curse. All her...
In the Hall with the Knife

0.0 (0)
A murderer could be around every corner in this...
Girls With Razor Hearts

0.0 (0)
Make me a girl with a razor heart… It’s...
Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children #5)

0.0 (0)
The fifth installment in Seanan McGuire's award-winning, bestselling Wayward...
When Wishes Bleed

0.0 (0)
One Prince. One Witch. One Fate. The upheaval in...

0.0 (0)
Ali McMillian almost drowned. It wasn’t a run-of-the-mill accident either;...
Ember Queen (Ash Princess, #3)

0.0 (0)
The thrilling conclusion to the New York Times bestselling...
Moonscript

0.0 (0)
"It is said that Darkness is empty and whatever vanishes...
The Lucky Ones

0.0 (0)
For fans of Thirteen Reasons Why, This Is How It...
Girl, Serpent, Thorn

0.0 (0)
A captivating and utterly original fairy tale about a girl...
Meet Me at Midnight

0.0 (0)
They have a love-hate relationship with summer. ...

Latest Member Reviews

Elysium Girls

"ELYSIUM GIRLS is an engaging YA historical fantasy/dystopian. In the 1930s, an area of Oklahoma suddenly got cut off from..."
Girls With Razor Hearts

"Now that Mena and the other girls have escaped Innovations Academy, they find their past hasn't left them. Mena vows..."
The Lucky Ones

"THE LUCKY ONES is quite an emotional ride. The book follows May and Zach in alternating first person points-of-view. May..."
Girl, Serpent, Thorn

"GIRL, SERPENT, THORN is a YA fairytale retelling by Melissa Bashardoust. The story follows Soraya, a princess who is cursed..."
Meet Me at Midnight

"MEET ME AT MIDNIGHT is a book that reminds readers of all the possibilities and freedom of summer vacation. We..."
Sword in the Stars (Once & Future, #2)

"SWORD IN THE STARS is a satisfying conclusion to a delightful YA fantasy retelling of King Arthur in space! Picking..."
The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)

"THE GUINEVERE DECEPTION by Kiersten White is the first book in a YA retelling of the classic Arthurian legend. Guinevere,..."
Crave

"CRAVE is a really engaging new YA fantasy/paranormal romance that follows Grace in the first person. Grace lost her parents..."
Golden Arm

"Lazarus Weathers lives in the Jet City trailer park in Seattle with his mother and half brother, Antonio. He has..."
Ember Queen (Ash Princess, #3)

"EMBER QUEEN is a great conclusion to the Ash Princess trilogy. Picking up right where book 2 left off, Theo..."
Kissing Lessons

"'Kissing Lessons' by Sophie Jordan is a well-written, entertaining story about a variety of main characters, including Hayden Vargas, Nolan..."
Lady Smoke (Ash Princess, #2)

"LADY SMOKE is every bit as addictive as the first in this engrossing trilogy. Picking up where the first book..."
The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)

"The Queen's Assassin is a fantasy romance geared toward the younger YA reader. It is told from the first person..."
Ash Princess (Ash Princess, #1)

"ASH PRINCESS is an engaging YA fantasy that takes us to the conquered land of Astrea. Theodosia's mother, the Fire..."
The Everything I Have Lost

"At age twelve, Julia starts writing in a diary. She writes about what she witnesses in her town of Juarez,..."
Sting

"STING is an intriguing YA dystopian retelling of THE COUNT OF MONTE CHRISTO. The world has been ravaged by climate..."
The Paper Girl of Paris

"The Paper Girl of Paris is written by journalist Jordyn Taylor and is set in both historical 1940’s and nowadays..."
The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)

"THE MIDNIGHT LIE is a lush and atmospheric YA fantasy. The book transports us to another world, where people are..."
Defy the Sun (The Offering Series, #2)

"DEFY THE SUN is a fantastic conclusion to this YA fantasy duology. This book picks up right where the first..."
We Unleash the Merciless Storm

"Carmen Santos cover as a La Voz soldier has been exposed. She flees back to the La Voz's headquarters, leaving..."