Review Detail

The Testing FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 7168
A Better Hunger Games
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I received The Testing in exchange for an honest review.

I wasn't entirely sure of what to think when I picked up The Testing. Now that I've finished reading it I further wonder how people can possibly enjoy The Hunger Games so much when books like this are out there.

Cia Vale, the main character of The Testing, was amazing. Not many authors seem to be capable of creating such likable characters who aren't heavily conceited or shallow and boy crazy. I always find it a relief to find a book where the romantic interest doesn't save the heroine at every turn. It makes books that could have been amazing dull when that kind of thing is always happening.

Tomas was also a likable character I really appreciated how he didn't protect or rely on Cia too much. That kind of behavior has often made me drop a book like it was on fire in the past.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Bluebird

0.0 (0)
In 1946, Eva leaves behind the rubble of Berlin for...
Merci Suárez Can't Dance

0.0 (0)
Seventh grade is going to be a real trial...
When You Know What I Know

0.0 (0)
This harrowing, and ultimately hopeful novel in verse sensitively...
Between Perfect and Real

0.0 (0)
A moving YA debut about a trans boy finding...
The Cost of Knowing

0.0 (0)
Dear Martin meets They Both Die at the End...
Gold Spun

0.0 (0)
If Nor can't spin gold, she can always spin...

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Dayna Walsh is struggling to cope with her somatic...
Small Favors

0.0 (0)
Ellerie Downing is waiting for something to happen. Life...
If You Go Down to the Woods Today (Brown Bear Wood)

0.0 (0)
Journey through a magical woodland, with poems to read and...
Bunny Will Not Jump!: Ready-to-Read Level 1

0.0 (0)
From the endless imagination of Jason Tharp comes a hilarious...
Milo's Christmas Parade

0.0 (0)
A new picture book from Jennie Palmer starring Milo, a...
Slow Down: 50 Mindful Moments in Nature

0.0 (0)
Slow down to watch 50 nature stories that command calm...
Once Upon A Pizza: Eight Crazy Ways Pizza Wasn't Really Invented, And One It Might Have Been

0.0 (0)
Everyone loves pizza, but how was it invented? ...
A Kid's Guide to Fandom: Exploring Fan-Fic, Cosplay, Gaming, Podcasting, and More in the Geek World!

0.0 (0)
Help young fans get in touch with their inner geeks...
Awaken    Book 1 The A'vean Chronicles

0.0 (0)
SOME PEOPLE AREN'T DESTINED TO BE ORDINARY. With a...
Pipsqueaks, Slowpokes, and Stinkers: Celebrating Animal Underdogs

0.0 (0)
Underdogs, unite! Celebrated nonfiction author Melissa Stewart offers young readers...

Latest Member Reviews

Bluebird

"It's 1946 and Eva leaves behind destroyed Berlin for New York City. Eva carries a deadly secret. One that others..."
Incendiary (Hollow Crown #1)

"INCENDIARY is an intriguing YA fantasy with rebellion, magic, and intrigue. Renata was stolen from her parents as a child..."
Love and Other Sins

"Read it in one sitting and can’t wait to read the next one!!"

"This was definitely an interesting book. I really enjoyed all of the witchy aspects of the book! It starts off..."
Small Favors

"SMALL FAVORS is a compelling, spooky, and atmospheric YA fantasy/horror that keeps the reader guessing. Ellerie is a young woman..."
Sidelined

"Julian is looking forward to his senior year in Meridien, Texas. He wants to play football and hopefully get scouted..."
Spectacle

"WHAT I LOVED: Nathalie Baudin is an extraordinary girl even before she discovers her psychometric abilities. She’s just sixteen,..."
Somewhere Only We Know

"Everything I know about K-pop comes from thirsty Twitter fancams, what has made it into the American mainstream, and an..."
A Song Below Water

"WHAT I LOVED: Tavia and Effie’s world is ours with just a little myth-made-real on top. The Hart family..."
Tin Heart

"WHAT I LOVED: Marlowe has spent much of her life living on the edge of death thanks to a..."
Off the Record

"Content warnings: rape, sexual harassment, sexual abuse Once upon a time, I had an ambition to become a journalist...."
The Hawthorne Legacy (The Inheritance Games, 2)

"What I Loved: THE HAWTHORNE LEGACY, a sequel to THE INHERITANCE GAMES, is a book full of intrigue and mystery..."
The Cost of Knowing

"THE COST OF KNOWING is a heartbreaking and beautiful read about family, fate, and racism. After losing his parents and..."
Curses

"* I received an eARC of this book through Edelweiss+ for an honest review* “When..."
Between Perfect and Real

"BETWEEN PERFECT AND REAL is a heartfelt read about finding yourself and coming out. Dean knows that he is a..."
You Were Made for Me

"YOU WERE MADE FOR ME is a comedic YA contemporary/magical read about two friends, Katie and Libby, who somewhat accidentally..."
What I Like about Me

"WHAT I LIKE ABOUT ME is a charming and comical YA contemporary read that tackles some important themes. Maisie is..."
Yolk

"YOLK is an intriguing coming-of-age read that tackles, illness, mental illness, eating disorders, and unhealthy relationships. The story is told..."
When You Know What I Know

"'When You Know What I Know' by Sonja K. Solter is a beautiful story of a girl who is soul-searching..."
Better Together

"'Better Together' by Christine Riccio weaves together two well-known and engaging stories—that of 'The Parent Trap' and 'Freaky Friday'. When..."