Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2614
Interesting Premise and Story, Just With an Not-so-Great Protagonist
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

MY OPINION
When I first heard about this book I automatically wanted to read it. I was expecting a fun book where the characters had to face the things they did in the revenge bucket list. It sounded more like a fun read to me, but it wasn't really that fun.
This book was told from two points of view:
Alice: She's our cancer girl and let me say this: she's a bitch. I feel bad saying this, but she's probably the most unlikeable main character I ever had in a book. She's rude to everyone, selfish, and the whole entire book is basically her using Harvey. I would chalk her meanness to her cancer, but there are sections in this book before the cancer and she acts the same way. And there were points where she almost redeems herself (with the dog and at the end) but nope, she goes back to her rude self.
But I got the feeling that the fact that Alice is an unlikeable character was supposed to come though. The author wanted us to dislike her.

Harvey:Poor Harvey. I felt sorry for the guy. You can tell that he honestly loves Alice but, as I said before, Alice uses that fact against him. Harvey gets used and used and used all throughout this book by Alice and it just makes you hate Alice more. He eventually stands up to Alice, but still, almost the whole plot revolves around him getting used.
And Harvey is a really nice guy (which makes me question how he is friends with Alice) which makes it worse.

This oddly brings me to the main reason as to why I couldn't fully get into this book: the whole book is just constant angst between Alice and Harvey where Harvey loves Alice but get used by Alice. Oftentimes in the book Alice is going back and forth between staying with Harvey as more than a friend and keeping distance. Then Harvey is going back and forth between loving Alice and leaving Alice because she's being a bitch. To be honest, this both annoyed and exhausted me.

IN CONCLUSION
Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike this book.
Sure, I had issues with Alice's character and the angsty romance, but I did like reading this book.
Alice only told half of the book, the other half was told by Harvey who is a character that I like.
I also thought this was an interesting contemporary book.
It didn't wow me, but I did like the book and was invested in the story at points.
Do I recommend this book? That depends on who you are.
A lot of people probably wouldn't be able to look past Alice's character and dislike the entire book due to her. So if you are unable to read books with unlikable characters, this book is not for you. If you can read books with unlikeable characters, you can give this book a try if you want to.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Meanwhile

0.0 (0)
Celebrate 10 years of this completely original graphic novel take...
Grant Beagan: The Finder's Code

0.0 (0)
He’s just an ordinary teenager who likes astronomy, video games,...
Fisher- Price Fun in the Jungle: Explore, Touch, and Feel

0.0 (0)
Children will love exploring the different textures in this playful...
Glitter Globes: The Night Before Christmas

0.0 (0)
On the night before Christmas, all over the house, not...
Belinda Fellgate: HellCat

0.0 (0)
A contemporary teen fantasy about an inept 14-year-old girl who...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling author...
Music for Tigers

0.0 (0)
Shipped halfway around the world to spend the summer...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. ...
Kingdom of Ice and Bone (The Frozen Sun Saga, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lira and Reyker have lost everything. Including each other....
Sword of the Seven Sins

0.0 (0)
Eva Marteinn never wanted to be a killer. Raised...
Things That Should Stay Buried

0.0 (0)
Some destinies are written in the stars. Others must...
How It All Blew Up

0.0 (0)
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda goes to Italy...
Horrid

0.0 (0)
From the author of You Must Not Miss comes...
Tsalix Silverthorn and the Scepter of Destiny

0.0 (0)
The latest phenomenal work from New York Times Bestselling author...
The Adventures of Bubba Jones (#4): Time Traveling Through Grand Canyon National Park

0.0 (0)
In the fourth book of this award-winning national park series,...
The Companion

0.0 (0)
The other orphans say Margot is lucky. Lucky to...

Latest Member Reviews

The Kingdom of Back

"Marie Lu’s The Kingdom of Back is an historical fantasy based on real-life talents, Wolfgang Amedeus Motzart and his sister,..."
Meanwhile

"'Meanwhile' by Jason Shiga is a graphic novel adventure that will remind readers of the types of books in which..."
Breathless

"BREATHLESS is a book about change, secrets, and the aftermath. Claudine (Claude) is about to graduate high school, and she..."
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

"SKYHUNTER is an enthralling and lush YA fantasy. Lu really paints the story with her words, and this new novel..."
The Library of Lost Things

"I wasn't sure what to expect with The Library of Lost Things, but I know I didn't anticipate a book..."
Goddess in the Machine (Goddess in the Machine, #1)

"Andra, a teenager from the 2160s, is put into cryogenic stasis fulling expecting to wake up on another planet one..."
Kingdom of Ice and Bone (The Frozen Sun Saga, #2)

"KINGDOM OF ICE AND BONE picks up where the first book left off. Lira and Reyker are separated and each..."
How It All Blew Up

"HOW IT ALL BLEW UP is an absolutely riveting coming-out story. Amir Azadi is an Iranian American who has always..."
Music for Tigers

"A vividly descriptive Middle-Grade work with an ecological focus--enriched by elements of music, friendship, and atypical neurology. When her..."
The Shadow Mission (The Athena Protocol, #2)

"THE SHADOW MISSION is an even better sequel to THE ATHENA PROTOCOL with lots of action and spy-related danger. In..."
Horrid

"HORRID is an intensely creepy story that follows Jane and her mother, Ruth. Jane's father has just died and after..."
Color Outside the Lines

"WHAT I LOVED: The stories vary in genre, time period, and the makeup of the couples, but many of them..."
I'll Be the One (I'll Be the One #1)

"WHAT I LOVED: Haneul "Skye" Shin is talented, fat, and contrary to the max. Her mom tells Skye she..."
Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)

"LEGENDBORN is absolutely thrilling YA fantasy that captivated me from the start. Bree gained early entrance into UNC-Chapel Hill and..."
Blood & Honey

"This is going to be a hard review to write because I have so many words that want to come..."
Don't Call the Wolf

"Ren is the queen of the forest, a lynx shifter, and the protector of the forest's creatures. When a dragon..."
The Companion

"Everyone thinks Margot is lucky. She's the sole survivor of a horrific car crash that killed her family. While at..."
A Golden Fury

"Thea Hope has learned alchemy as her mother's apprentice, forced into the shadows when all she wants is equal credit..."
Foul is Fair

"Elle is part of the glittering crowd, beautiful and untouchable, or so they believe. One night, Elle and her friends..."
Burn Our Bodies Down

"Audiobook review Margot is tired of not getting answers from her mother about where she came from..."