Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2798
A heart-rending story of first love, family, and forgiveness
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

C.J. Flood delivers a heart-rending story of first love, family drama, and forgiveness.

Lily is a troubled thirteen year-old girl faced with the fact that she must grow up far too soon. Her mom has run off to travel, her brother is making dangerous friends, and her dad drinks himself into a stupor most nights a week. When Lily braves her fears and meets Trick, a teenage gypsy boy, she makes a new friend, falls in love, and faces challenges she couldn't have imagined.

INFINITE SKY isn't just about romance and family. The issues of discrimination and prejudice haunt the pages. Lily's dad and brother are disgusted by the gypsies who moved in to the field behind their house. They want them gone, and they'll do just about anything to get their way. Lily, however, is intrigued by the gypsies, and she can't stop asking questions about them. Meanwhile, Lily's family is slowly falling apart due to the absence of her mother, who is off traveling exotic locales while attempting to reconcile her falling out of love with Lily's father.

These issues are intense, they're very real, and you'll feel for Lily. She is innocent and honest to a fault, until she meets Trick. Now she has to keep secrets from her dad, who would react violently if he knew the extent of Lily's friendship with Trick. Lily's internal struggles over lying to her dad and sneaking out with Trick, her best friend and someone she can actually rely on, are so relatable to young teens. So is the trouble between Lily and her dad: she realizes that all along she's been doing what he wanted. What does Lily even want? She must figure this out, and be brave enough to stand up for herself, even if it creates rifts between Lily and her dad and older brother, Sam. Middle grade readers will find this story especially compelling, as they struggle through all of the new and painful issues that Lily goes through as well.

The only part of the story that left me wanting more was an aspect of the writing style. It was very distant, unaffected, and indirect. We often heard Lily describing dialogue, instead of reading the dialogue outright. Too much telling and not showing created a distance between the reader and the strong emotions of the story. A more direct story-telling method would have bridged that distance and allowed readers to really connect with Lily's intense feelings.

Overall INFINITE SKY was a surprisingly deep story, confronting issues of parenting, first love, and loyalty. Highly recommended for middle grade readers looking for a touching romance.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

How to Make Friends with the Dark

0.0 (0)
Here is what happens when your mother dies. ...
Girl at Heart

0.0 (0)
As the daughter of a successful Major League pitcher, Charlie...
Serious Moonlight

0.0 (0)
After an awkward first encounter, Birdie and Daniel are forced...
Sway

0.0 (0)
In Kat Spears’s hilarious and often poignant debut, high school...
Scarlet Epstein Hates it Here

0.0 (0)
Meet Scarlett Epstein, BNF (Big Name Fan) in her online...
The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

0.0 (0)
New York Times bestselling author Renée Ahdieh returns with...
The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future

0.0 (0)
Bestselling Divergent and Carve the Mark author Veronica Roth...
The Boy Who Dreamt the World

0.0 (0)
Adam is living the dream, literally.... There are two...
Colliding Skies

0.0 (0)
Since Skye Reilly can remember, she has been looking...
What Makes Us

0.0 (0)
A viral video reveals a teen’s dark family history,...
Dating Nashville

0.0 (0)
Becks: How does a straight guy accidentally come out...
Take the Mic: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance

0.0 (0)
A young adult anthology featuring fictional stories of everyday...
I Know When You're Going To Die

0.0 (0)
Leonardo Cantrell is a painfully shy sixteen-year-old who cannot look...
Dog and Rabbit

0.0 (0)
A funny, sweet story of unrequited friendship from the creator...
I'm Not Dying with You Tonight

0.0 (0)
Lena and Campbell aren't friends. ...
Symptoms of a Heartbreak

0.0 (0)
The youngest doctor in America, an Indian-American teen makes her...

Latest Member Reviews

How to Make Friends with the Dark

"A weighty YA Contemporary, grappling with a wide array of crises and quandaries. What I..."
The Burning Shadow (Origin Series, #2)

"I’m not going to lie….I read The Burning Shadow in two days. It could’ve been one sitting if my eyelids..."
The Grace Year

"It’s been one week since I finished The Grace Year by Kim Liggett as I sit down to start this..."
Dog and Rabbit

"DOG AND RABBIT is a charming tale of friendship. Told in four parts, the book introduces Dog and then Rabbit...."
Symptoms of a Heartbreak

"I started out reading an ARC of Symptoms of a Heartbreak, but then I switched to reading a hardcover in..."
Dating Nashville

"If you read the first series, Redefining Me, you got a glimpse at these characters and probably love them just..."
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

"I’m going to start out this post by letting it be known by all and sundry that I was provided..."
Sick Kids in Love

"SICK KIDS IN LOVE is a beautiful story about love- as well as invisible illness/disability AND NOBODY DIES! (I do..."
Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)

"I never wanted to be a superhero as a child, but I wanted to do heroic things. Tristan Strong epitomizes..."
The Light at the Bottom of the World (The Light at the Bottom of the World, #1)

"THE LIGHT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WORLD is a compelling and atmospheric YA fantasy/science fiction. In the future, the..."
Conceal, Don't Feel (Twisted Tales, #7)

"If you adored FROZEN, you need to get your hands on this Twisted Tale which reimagines the story if Anna..."
The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future

"THE END AND OTHER BEGINNINGS is the latest from DIVERGENT author, Veronica Roth. The novel is comprised of six YA..."