Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2088
Outstanding Debut
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

The Ghost Bride, can't believe is Yangsze Choo debut novel. It so amazing, it was hard to put down. The story is about a young woman, Li Lan's adventures of the underworld after a recently dead spirit of a young man, Lim Tian Ching's proposal for marriage, her first love interest, Tian Bai, Lim Tain Ching's half brother, her coming of age journey. Ghost, Plains of Dead,ox-headed demons, winged monsters, hungry ghost, complicated humans, dragons. The books is an unique experience of the Chinese folklore and beliefs.The writing is exceptional with enough detail to really imagine life in Malaya, both life and afterlife. The characters are so well developed, the reader really gets to know them and care for them, specially Li Lan. I was so intrigued with Er Lang, he was my favorite character. The story has a fairy tale feeling, Choo is a gifted storyteller, it kept me interested until the very end. I love the notes in the ends, it help you understand more about the Chinese culture. I absolutely love the ending, but would've like for Tian Bai to have a similar happiness as Li Lan's.
I really enjoy reading this novel, Yangsze Choo did an outstanding job. 5 well deserved Stars. Recommended
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Secondhand Dogs

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming—and heart-tugging—middle grade novel about love, loyalty, and what...
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming text honoring the ever-evolving relationship of a parent...
Colors of Habitats

0.0 (0)
The brand-new sequel to a well-reviewed bestseller that has been...
Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales Book 6)

0.0 (0)
A prince of two kingdoms. A woman fighting against the...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after classes...
All These Bodies

0.0 (0)
Sixteen bloodless bodies. Two teenagers. One impossible explanation. ...
The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and...
I Am the Shark

0.0 (0)
What makes the great white shark (one of) the greatest...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good romantic...
Take Me Home Tonight

0.0 (0)
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off meets Nick and Nora’s Infinite...
The People We Choose

5.0 (1)
When 17-year-old Calliope meets her new neighbor Max, their...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to...
Slingshot

0.0 (0)
An exciting debut contemporary young adult novel perfect for...
The Keeper of Night

5.0 (1)
Death is her destiny. Half...
The Girls are Never Gone

0.0 (0)
The Conjuring meets Sadie when seventeen-year-old podcaster Dare takes an...

Latest Member Reviews

Who Put This Song On?

"In a small, very white town, Morgan is trapped in the expectations and assumptions of everyone around her. She hasn't..."
girl stuff

"Fonda is super excited that her best friends and neighbors (nesties!) will be going to her middle school for 7th..."
A Collie Called Sky (Jasmine Green Rescues #3)

"Jasmine lives on a farm in England with her mother, who is a veterinarian, her father, who raises sheep, younger..."
Love & Olives (Love & Gelato #3)

"Olive Varanakis's father was obsessed with the lost city of Atlantis, and since he was born and raised on the..."
Jasmine Green Rescues: A Kitten Called Holly (#4)

"When a barn cat has babies, Jasmine and Tom are surprised to find them. They've scared the mother, and she..."
The Elephant in the Room

"Sila's family has been happy in Oregon, even though her father, who is a mechanical engineer, has to work as..."
Yara's Spring

"Yara and her younger brother Saad are in a refugee camp in Jordan in 2016, waiting to hear what their..."
Cracked Up To Be

"Cracked up to be is an unsettling tale of a girl on the cusp of a mental breakdown for over..."
The Derby Daredevils: Kenzie Kickstarts a Team: (The Derby Daredevils Book #1)

"Kenzie and her best friend Shelley love roller derby, a sport in which they are interested because Kenzie's mother is..."
Nina Soni: Sister Fixer

"After Nina Soni, Former Best Friend, Nina is back, and this time is concerned that her little sister is a..."
King and Kayla and the Case of the Unhappy Neighbor

"King's friend Thor is in big trouble. His owner, Jillian, got a call from the grumpy Mr. Gary that Thor..."
Storm Dog

"Ariel has a difficult home life in her Blue Ridge Mountain home in Virginia. It's not because of economics; her..."
Wrong Way Summer

"Claire's father has always been evasive when it comes to answering questions about her mother, who left the family when..."
That's Not What Happened

"WHAT I LOVED: There have been countless school shootings in the United States and hundreds if not thousands of..."
Like Sisters on the Homefront

"Top 3 reasons to read LIKE SISTERS ON THE HOMEFRONT: 1.) The characters- Gayle, a NYC girl sent to..."
Zeus, Dog of Chaos

"Madden is getting used to living with his mother, an Army lieutenant, after having spent a lot of time with..."
How to be a Girl in the World

"Lydia lives in an apartment in New York with her mom and her cousin, Emma. Emma's mother, who was African-American,..."
The New David Espinoza

"David is the skinniest kid at high Florida high school, and he's taken his share of bullying about it. On..."
The Magnificent Mya Tibbs: Mya in the Middle

"Mya's exploits at school continue when her fourth grade class participates in an economics unit. The children get $25 from..."
Sabotage (Beatrice Zinker, Upside Down Thinker (3))

"Beatrice calls a meeting of Operation Upside with her friends Sam and Lenny, and they decide what the newest awards..."