Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 5267
Has the same geeky vibes and adrenaline rush of The Testing
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau was definitely one of the top ten books I have read in 2013 and, without a doubt, the best ya dystopian novel. The Testing had frighteningly possible future world with smart realistic characters, likable heroine and cute friends to lovers love story.

Independent Study, as a sequel to The Testing, introduces us to the life on college in the Commonwealth described trough the narration of Cia. Connection I felt to Cia in The Testing, was quickly restored and, again, I was admiring her and cheering for her every step of the way. Cia is smart, resourceful, fair and geek – everything a good heroine in my opinion should be. And she’s so realistic – not always perfect, sometimes doubts herself, but never boring and determined to succeed.
"I don’t know if I am ready to be a leader or if I can stop the war that threatens all I love, but as I hurry up to my rooms and close the door behind me, I know I will do everything to keep the hope out of our country and those who struggled for it alive."

Since the testing for University was so deadly, I kinda expected that now the focus will be on studying and developing talents in the best candidates that were picked. But no, strangely, weird practice of exams that can have more serious consequences than failing the subject, continues. You wonder if they are even going to stop or there can be only one student/future leader left?

Surprisingly, I (again) believed in the whole concept of killing of the weakest candidates. Government officials and Cia have some great explanations about leadership and what’s expected from leaders. Here are just a couple of my favorite quotes about this subject:
- "Because sometimes the best leaders are the ones who have no interest in leading. Those are often the ones who are most interested in doing what is right, not what is popular."
- "Those who depend fully on another person’s knowledge to decide what is possible are easily manipulated. The most effective leaders utilize experts from all fields, but rely on none when it comes to making a decision."
- "Leaders – reals leaders – must think of others before themselves. They need to consider the consequences of their actions and only sacrifice lives when the needs of many outweigh the needs of the few."

Although, the plot of Independent Study was not much different than The Testing, as I expected, still it was thrilling ride full of action, tough decision and surprises. I am eagerly waiting for Graduation Day!

IN THE END…
In The Testing series, Joelle Charbonneau offers us a glorification of hard work, compassion and good leadership. For all young adult dystopian fans who like their heroines smart, resourceful and fighting against government, this is a must read!

Disclaimer: I was given a free eBook by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for a honest review.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Discovering the Underground with Snow White (Fairytale Encyclopedia)

0.0 (0)
There are not only dwarves in the underground. This hidden...
Rock by Rock: The Fantastical Garden of Nek Chand

0.0 (0)
This luminous picture book tells the fascinating true story of...
Bisa's Carnaval

0.0 (0)
Discover the sights and sounds of Brazil through the eyes...
Redemptor (Raybearer, #2)

0.0 (0)
The highly anticipated sequel to Raybearer, the instant New York...
Dark and Shallow Lies

0.0 (0)
A teen girl disappears from her small town deep in...
Imposters

5.0 (1)
Frey and Rafi are inseparable . . . but very...
Better Than the Movies

5.0 (1)
Liz Buxbaum has always known that Wes Bennett was not...
African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

5.0 (1)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Count to LOVE! (A Bright Brown Baby Board Book)

5.0 (1)
Cuddle up with your little one and get ready to...
The Mystery of the Meanest Teacher: A Johnny Constantine Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
THE MYSTERY OF THE MEANEST TEACHER: A JOHNNY CONSTANTINE GRAPHIC...

0.0 (0)
A shocking thriller about a group of friends who go...
Bird Boy

0.0 (0)
Take flight in this heartwarming story about a boy who...
Love You By Heart

0.0 (0)
Acclaimed creator of The Word Collector, Happy Dreamer, Say Something,...
Fa-La-La Llama (Touch-and-Feel Board Book)

0.0 (0)
Get ready to deck the halls with these joyful, singing,...
The Oddmire, Book 3: Deepest, Darkest

0.0 (0)
The third adventure in the beloved fantasy series full of...
The Oddmire, Book 2: The Unready Queen

0.0 (0)
Human-raised brothers Tinn and Cole join forces with Fable, daughter...

Latest Member Reviews

"If your expecting the same type of books that you’ve been reading in this series, you’d be wrong. This whole..."
If These Wings Could Fly

"Beautiful and gut-wrenching doesn't begin to describe Kyrie McCauley's debut novel, If These Wings Could Fly. McCauley brings to life..."
Spindle and Dagger

"Spindle and Dagger by J. Anderson Coats is a beautiful, yet brutal, literary novel set in Medieval Wales. It is..."
Spindle and Dagger

"Spindle and Dagger by J. Anderson Coats is a unique, dark tale set in Medieval Wales. The author did their..."
The Vanishing Stair

"THE VANISHING STAIR continues the TRULY DEVIOUS plot as Stevie returns to the enigmatic private school, Ellingham. Stevie becomes more..."
Truly Devious

"TRULY DEVIOUS is a YA mystery that takes place at an enigmatic high school. Ellingham was founded by a very..."
The Vanishing Stair

"Feedback As soon as I finished the first book I was so eager to continue. I absolutely loved Truly..."
Truly Devious

"Feedback I absolutely loved this book. It was a buddy read for me and it sounded interesting so I..."
Here so Far Away

"This is a difficult review to write. Here so Far Away is one of those books that leaves you feeling..."
The Fall of Lisa Bellow

"I received a copy of this book courtesy of NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This book came..."
The Poet's Dog

"Teddy is an Irish wolfhound who has been raised by Sylvan, a poet who worked in his cabin in the..."
Absolute Brightness

KK Karen Klein
" I think there were many side tangents that were not important to the story and just didn’t seem to..."
The Poet's Dog

"Nickel and Flora think they are lost to a blizzard when Teddy saves them. Teddy is a dog who was..."
Traitor Angels

"I absolutely loved Anne Blankman’s Prisoner of Night and Fog duology so I was really excited to start a new..."
Traitor Angels

"Full disclaimer: I am a huge fan of Milton and Paradise Lost ever since college. So this was a big..."
the thing with feathers

"[Reviewed by Jessyca Garcia for Readers' Favorite] I really enjoyed reading The Thing with Feathers by Anne Sweazy-Kulju. This..."
I Crawl Through It

"I CRAWL THROUGH IT is the weirdest book I've ever read. Period. Reminiscent of Haruki Murakami's singly unique style, King..."
Dragonflies in the Cowburbs

"A very enjoyable read! This book is both a novella and a collection of short stories. The stories are inter-related..."

"How can you write a novel about recovering from mental illness and a few weeks later kill yourself? It's very..."
A Sliver of Hope

"The story A Sliver of Hope is a story about losing people you love and finding the courage and..."