Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 8526
Compelling
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

This story packs a punch. With spare, powerful prose the author portrays a character growing increasingly angry and isolated from the world around him. The imagery is surreal and poignant, and often it's difficult to tell what is real and what isn't. Because the hero often struggles to determine (or admit) what is real and what isn't, the imagery is a nice echo of what is going on in the character's mind.

For such a fast read, this story has depth and heart for a discerning reader to reflect on. The pacing is quick, but the story itself feels like it slowly unfolds, the tension increasing with every chapter until the reader is scared to peel back the final layer and look at the truth that lies beneath.

Truth is the heart of this book. In a story that deals with grief, anger, isolation, and loss in such a short span of time, there is a danger of skimming the surface or giving the character an easy way out. Mr. Ness avoids these pitfalls and instead strips the story to its basic elements and gives both the hero and the reader and unflinching dose of truth that might be exactly what a reader struggling with those same issues desperately needs to hear.

This is a book I will push into readers' hands for a very long time. I recommend it for classrooms, libraries, and homeschoolers looking for a powerful book (with an in-depth discussion guide included!) for their upper middle grade to high school students.

Powerful, evocative, and utterly compelling, A MONSTER CALLS is a must read.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Thousand Questions

0.0 (0)
Set against the backdrop of Karachi, Pakistan, Saadia Faruqi’s tender...

0.0 (0)
Second in a new series about a bright and determined...

0.0 (0)
There's a chill in the air and frost on the...

0.0 (0)
Disney’s classic animated films come to life in the latest...
Fence: Striking Distance

0.0 (0)
The boys of Kings Row bout with drama, rivalry, and...
Pirate Nell's Tale to Tell

0.0 (0)
From the author/illustrator team behind The Snatchabook comes a book-filled...
The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #2)

0.0 (0)
Once Upon a Time meets Game of Thrones in...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. A team of...
Finding Balance

0.0 (0)
Jase Ellison doesnt remember having acute lymphocytic leukemia when...
Be a Voter!: 450 Stickers for Democracy

0.0 (0)
Get out the vote! It’s...
I Believe In You

0.0 (0)
A charming picture book that inspires confidence, boosts self-esteem, and...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling...
Of Thorns and Beauty (Twisted Pages Book 1)

0.0 (0)
You think you know the tale as old time,...
The Verity

0.0 (0)
When being eaten alive is the least of your...
Meanwhile

0.0 (0)
Celebrate 10 years of this completely original graphic novel take...
Grant Beagan: The Finder's Code

0.0 (0)
He’s just an ordinary teenager who likes astronomy, video games,...

Latest Member Reviews

"This review can also be found at http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogspot.ca/2017/03/thirst-no1-by-christopher-pike.html In this bind-up, readers get the first three books of..."
Witch World

" The book was a bust for me. It had potential but it was sloppily..."
Witch World

"(Source: I borrowed a copy of this book.) Jessie and her friends (including her ex-boyfriend Jimmy) are heading off to..."
Witch World

"I won this in a First Reads Giveaway. I didn't like this book at all. Somehow despite it's..."

"Reader reviewed by Ice Princess this book how do i put it....hmm*ponders in thought* what can i say this book..."
Alosha (Alosha #1)

"Reader reviewed by fayeflame Synopsis Almost everyone, at some time, dreams of being the hidden king or queen of a..."
Alosha (Alosha #1)

"Reader reviewed by St. Nowhere Amazing? This book seems to be the exact opposite of that. It starts..."

"Reader reviewed by eama Christopher Pike was my first favorite author and this book is what started it. The story..."
Alosha (Alosha #1)

"Reader reviewed by syd This is an amazinly captivating book which sucks you into the amazin adventures of a young..."