Review Detail

Avalon (Avalon #1) FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 4460
Fun Sci -Fic Adventure
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I grew up on shows like Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica. All thing Star Wars started as a young child and still continues today. Although I didn't find Firefly until NetFlix came along, it has become another favorite of mine. So when I heard about Avalon I was pretty excited!

I loved reading Avalon as most of my students could attest - there is now a waiting list for the sole copy in the school. And I liked it’s storyline. It is nice to see a rise in new YA science-fiction and I hope this is just the start of a great trend. It is definitely more of an action and adventure driven plot and I like it that way. It’s teen characters have lots of potential and it does have that Firefly feel without getting too complicated. Some critics might say that there is a lack of depth in the romance department. However, I like how it centers more on the main action of the plot.

Mindee Arnett is amazing at world building and the constant surprise twists in the plot make Avalon a fun read. Although readers don't get to know characters in depth, the reader becomes well versed in the world of Avalon. Sometimes books focus solely of getting to the heart of each character and ultimately the world they live in is just a flat painted canvas. I'm Avalon, the world itself becomes a main character and it's dark emptiness just adds to the dangers the characters must face.

Jeth Seagrave is smart, savvy, brave and loyal to a fault. And he's a thief. He’s a bit of an adrenaline junkie, and loves nothing more than being in the thick of action and danger-just what I love in a protagonist. He is also very determined to get back the Avalon (his parents' ship) from Hammer- Jeth's beloved intergalactic crime boss.

All of the action and setting of Avalon takes place within space.There is plenty of futuristic tech talk and gadgets which helps solidify the world building. Once Jeth and the crew reach the Belgrave Quadrant , the story and pace really begins to pick up.The Belgrave Quadrant had an almost paranormal-Bermuda Triangle- feel to it, and what Jeth and the crew ultimately discover is a true story changer adding a whole new layer to the story! A true page turner full of plot twists, betrayals, and exciting discoveries all the way till the very end! Looking forward to the sequel!

An action packed novel that is hard to put down, science fiction fans will love Avalon!

Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)

0.0 (0)
In this riveting, keenly emotional debut fantasy, a Black teen...
Unchosen

0.0 (0)
Katharyn Blair crafts a fiercely feminist fantasy with a horrifying...

0.0 (0)
Leanne Strong hates June eighth even though it's supposed to...
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Rosie Singer’s mom is missing whatever it is that...
Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke

0.0 (0)
On October 2nd, 1977, Glenn Burke, outfielder for the Los...
The Elephant in the Room

0.0 (0)
It's been almost a year since Sila's mother traveled halfway...
Alone in the Woods

0.0 (0)
Jocelyn and Alex have always been best friends...until they aren't....
Disaster Days

0.0 (0)
Hannah Steele loves living on Pelling, a tiny island near...
Wild River

0.0 (0)
Daniel Redmayne is fast asleep on the first night of...
In the Penalty Box

0.0 (0)
Willow Figure skating was supposed to be my...

0.0 (0)
3 nights, 2 days, and 1 massive music fest ....
The Afterlife of the Party (Afterlife, #1)

0.0 (0)
I didn’t even want to go to the party. ...

0.0 (0)
Tianna Morgan and her friends run Cadie Mae High. Great...
The Alcazar (The Cerulean, #2)

0.0 (0)
From New York Times bestselling author Amy Ewing comes the...
Tears of Frost (Heart of Thorns, #2)

0.0 (0)
This captivating second book in Bree Barton’s Heart of...
The Broken Raven (Shadow Skye, #2)

0.0 (0)
In the heart-pounding second book in the Shadow Skye...

Latest Member Reviews

The Fractured Empire

"This book grabbed me from the very beginning, throwing me into this beautifully-crafted, intriguing new world. The plot is fast-paced..."
The Verity

"FEEDBACK Friends. FRIENDS. This book was so good. I apologize in advanced if it’s just a bunch of rambling..."
The Parkour Club

"The descriptions of Parkour are entertaining and opened my eyes to a new discipline that I was scarcely aware of..."
The Parkour Club

"I enjoyed this book immensely. As with all of her books, Pam Withers masterfully builds up the characters and skilfully..."
The Parkour Club

"I learned a lot about parkour and also Islam from this book. I appreciate a book that focuses around a..."
The Parkour Club

"Adventure, sport, romance and cross-cultural understanding"
Pawns (The Wielders of Arantha)

"Pawns by Patrick Hodges is the first book in the Wielders of Arantha series. Complex and creative don’t begin to..."
The Fractured Empire

"I don’t know where to start! The Fractured Empire by Robin D. Mahle is the first in the World Apart..."
Hunter's Truce

"I love retellings--it's kind of my thing--and this was a new one for me. I haven't read a Three Little..."
Below The Moon

"This book is not like anything else I have ever read and I thought it was great!!! you will need..."
Mage's Apprentice

"Aspen lives in New York City where the Mage's council oversee the well being of the people in it. As..."
OverRun (The OverRuled Series, book 2)

"A great sequel! The Story: The book picks up right where Over Ruled left off. Jade is the new..."
Twisted Saga Collection 1

"Cassie, Marley, Tyler and Eve were great characters with well developed backstories. I enjoyed the story, it did..."
Utopia

"What I Liked Dystopian is one of the most expensive genres out there. There is a multitude of things one..."
When Darkness Falls

"The story: When seventeen-year-old Austen finds her dad’s car on the side of the car with a dead women inside..."
Dragon's Awakening

"When Kaylee goes on a date and the guy tries to make a move on her, she accidentally calls on..."
The Fontre (Chronicles of Lashai Book 2)

"Format: Paperback As a mother of three young children it is very hard to find time to read. This is..."

"I loved it! I'm so delighted to have gotten to read the 2nd book in this series! If you love..."

"I was hooked from the beginning and it had my attention all the way through. Great book! "
The Namarielle (Chronicles of Lashai Book 1)

"I love the budding love story mixed in with the evil that is happening around them, it gives the readers..."