Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1120
Love, Loss, Hard Choices and Hope.
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

WHY HAVE I NOT HEARD OF THIS BOOK BEFORE NOW?! If it weren't for Jennifer L. Armentrout and Miranda Kenneally, I probably would have never read it but I'm so glad I did! (Word of advice, if author friends boss you to read a book, you listen.)

Told from alternating POVs, PLAYING HURT is a story of love, loss, hard choices and healing.

Chelsea and Clint both come from small towns and good families. Both have suffered tragedies that have left them broken, scared and scarred. But together they discover that just because life doesn't always turn out the way we think it will, doesn't mean it's over or not worth living, like REALLY living.

Their physical attraction is instant and often times hilarious as they both struggle to keep things professional. It doesn't take long though for emotions to kick in and those carefully drawn lines start to get a little blurry. *fans face* Did I agree with all the choices Chelsea and Clint made? No, but I understood why they made them and I appreciated that Holly Schindler took such an honest approach to their story.

I really liked that both sets of parents were visible and involved. Chelsea's relationship with her dad and Clint's relationship with his mom broke my heart in the best way. And the ending was perfect.

Favorite Quote: “The heart is a compass, steers us back to the thing we loved the most.”
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Lady Rogue

0.0 (0)
The Last Magician meets A Gentleman’s Guide to Vice...
The Twin

0.0 (0)
After their parents divorced, 10-year-old twins Ivy and Iris...
Playing by Heart

5.0 (2)
Emilia Salvini dreams of marrying a man who loves...
The Winter Duke

0.0 (0)
She survived the curse. Now she must survive the...
Only Mostly Devastated

0.0 (0)
Will Tavares is the dream summer fling―he's fun, affectionate,...
Frozen Hearts

0.0 (0)
A runaway teenager. A rogue android. A mystery hidden...

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Faith has always known she was different and her...
The Mall

0.0 (0)
The year is 1991. Scrunchies, mixtapes and 90210 are, like,...

0.0 (0)
In Poems to Live Your Life By, Chris Riddell, political...
The Claires

0.0 (0)
Four beautiful girls. Quadruplets. They are not identical.But each is...
The Life Below

4.0 (1)
It was hard enough for Naomi to leave Leo,...
What He Hides

0.0 (0)
She wants the truth... or does she? They say...
The Shadows Between Us

0.0 (0)
Tricia Levenseller, author of Daughter of the Pirate King,...
Devil Darling Spy

0.0 (0)
It's 1940, and Sarah Goldstein is hiding in plain...

0.0 (0)
"more forgetting time. more midnight dances with yourself."...
The Upside of Falling

0.0 (0)
It’s been years since eighteen-year-old Becca Hart believed in...

Latest Member Reviews

The (other) F Word: A Celebration of the Fat and Fierce

"3 Reasons You Need THE OTHER F WORD on your shelves: 1.) The list of contributors: The range of..."
Rocket Man: The Mercury Adventure of John Glenn

"Not only was John Glenn the first person to orbit the Earth, a military veteran, and politician, but he was..."
Games of Deception: The True Story of the First U.S. Olympic Basketball Team at the 1936 Olympics in Hitler's Germany

" The Summer Olympics will take place again in July 2020, and all eyes will turn to Tokyo, Japan as..."
Hello, World! Moon Landing

"This charming and informative book introduces the details of the first trip to the moon in 1969. HELLO, WORLD! MOON..."
The Strange True Tale of Frankenstein's Creator Mary Shelley

"What worked: This is a fascinating insight into the life of the author of Frankenstein. The beginning paragraph, when Mary..."
Boots on the Ground: America's War in Vietnam

"The conflict in Vietnam was horrible, contentious, and defined the 1960s in many ways. In order to give an all-inclusive..."
Science: A LEGO Adventure in the Real World

"Insightful, engaging, and downright fun! LEGO hits on all the learning styles in this brilliantly interactive science primer. ..."
Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World

"“Women and girls have been sharing things up for a long time, resisting those who would box them in.” ..."
Votes for Women!: American Suffragists and the Battle for the Ballot

"A candid, comprehensive, and thoroughly researched look at the long fight for women’s rights—spanning nearly a century of history while..."
Growing Friendships: A Kids' Guide to Making and Keeping Friends

"Utilizing plain language and a kid-friendly presentation, Growing Friendships examines and addresses a wide range of socially detrimental issues such..."
My Weird School Fast Facts: Space, Humans, and Farts

"MY WEIRD SCHOOL FAST FACTS: SPACE, HUMANS, AND FARTS makes learning more interesting and fun. Using the weird-but-true theme is..."
Project Semicolon: Your Story Isn't Over

""Stay Strong. Love endlessly. Change lives." --Amy Bleuel This suicide and mental illness awareness collection is made..."
The Ultimate Guide to Gardening (Craft It Yourself)

"Don’t let the name intimidate you—this guide is as extensive as it is accessible. The book features 111 pleasingly..."
The Infographic Guide to College: A Visual Reference for Everything You Need to Know

"As approachable as it is pragmatic, this college primer could largely double as a bite-sized approach to post high school..."
She's So Boss

"For any girl with an entrepreneurial spirit!"
The Book That Made Me

"The Book That Made Me' is an anthology by several authors that tells about a book that influenced their life...."
She's So Boss

"SHE’S SO BOSS by Stacy Kravetz is a non-fiction guide for young female entrepreneurs who are looking to start or..."
Girling Up

"What worked: Encouraging info for girls on growing up. Mayim is like that cool older sis that tells you what..."
This Is Really Happening

"I wish I could accurately put into words how much I adored This is Really Happening. I didn’t..."
A Kid's Guide To America's First Ladies

"How does a First Lady train for a job that has no job description—or even a salary? A job that..."