Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2083
Not the best in this series, but still worth a read
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Finding It wasn’t what I expected at all. If you’ve read any of her previous books, you’d expect a light and comical romance with endearing female leads and swoonworthy male counterparts. That wasn’t the case so much in this installment. I’ll admit, this one was borderline “meh” for me, which is surprising because I have loved all of Carmack’s books so far. What finally pushed this into the “really liked” category for me was Jackson. He had his moments where I just didn’t get him or feel any sparks, but a lot of the things he did helped me to really enjoy this, especially towards the end. Things were pretty much hot and cold between him and Kelsey, and I’m not a fan of that at all, so when you couple that to the fact that this book dragged on exceedingly slow for the first half, it doesn’t make for such a great read.
Thankfully, Carmack saved the day in second half of the book. Not only do we get a taste of adventure and wonder as the characters travel through Europe, things finally pick up between Kelsey and Jackson, and instead of just telling us about the chemistry and mutual attraction, Carmack finally shows it. I was beginning to worry there for a minute. The story dragged on for so long, with nothing happening that by the time I was at the 50% mark, I didn’t even know what I had read or where this was going. Not that it was confusing, it was just that the first half was so boring, it was just a big blur to me at that point. But again, I say, Carmack did somewhat of a 180 in the latter half and I was finally enjoying the read.
Kelsey didn’t’ do it for me that much either. She has a family that sucks butt and a past event that haunts her, which I totally understand and appreciate. She’s also crazy and vivacious, the seemingly carefree friend who you would love to party with. All of that I can get, but as far as being inside her head? Yeah, I didn’t care for it. There wasn’t even much of a resolution or revelation to her problems once it was all out in the open. Things do change and she makes some key choices in her life that I appreciated, but still, it wasn’t all that.
As far as Jackson goes, I think I would’ve liked to have been in his head. I wanted to know what he was going through as he interacted with Kelsey and throughout their adventures. I definitely couldn’t see his appeal at all, even though I pictured him as a pretty sexy guy, I couldn’t get a grip on his personality, therefore, didn’t care for him as a character. I did like how he got Kelsey to try new things and live life, but I just didn’t feel the swoon factor. When he finally let go a little though, I started to like him more and that ending and what he did was pretty sweet, so I’ll give him that.
If you’re expecting something along the lines of Carmack’s other books, like I did, you might be a bit disappointed. Finding It get a little more intense and the characters are way more damaged than her previous ones. I’ll give her credit for trying to change things up, and she still adds that bit of humor and awkwardness to the story that I have come to love so much from her. If it wasn’t for the humor, albeit whatever little there was, and Jackson’s eventual appeal (not my favorite Carmack boy, I’ll tell you that right off the bat), then I wouldn’t have enjoyed this book at all. If you can manage to get through the monotony that is the first half of the book, I’m sure you’ll end up liking it, too.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming text honoring the ever-evolving relationship of a parent...
Colors of Habitats

0.0 (0)
The brand-new sequel to a well-reviewed bestseller that has been...
Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales Book 6)

0.0 (0)
A prince of two kingdoms. A woman fighting against the...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after classes...
All These Bodies

0.0 (0)
Sixteen bloodless bodies. Two teenagers. One impossible explanation. ...
The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and...
I Am the Shark

0.0 (0)
What makes the great white shark (one of) the greatest...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good romantic...
Take Me Home Tonight

0.0 (0)
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off meets Nick and Nora’s Infinite...
The People We Choose

5.0 (1)
When 17-year-old Calliope meets her new neighbor Max, their...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to...

Latest Member Reviews

Agnes at the End of the World

"AGNES AT THE END OF THE WORLD is a poignant YA dystopian that really speaks to humanity and the present...."
A Constellation of Roses

"I will admit, I went into this book knowing nothing. The cover and title caught my attention, and I'm so..."
If These Wings Could Fly

"Beautiful and gut-wrenching doesn't begin to describe Kyrie McCauley's debut novel, If These Wings Could Fly. McCauley brings to life..."
Pet
Pet

"Recently recognized as a National Book Award finalist and a Stonewall Honor book, Pet is also Akwaeke Emezi’s YA debut..."
Riverland

"RIVERLAND is a riveting and complex middle grade magical realism novel. Eleanor and her sister, Mike (nickname, everyone except their..."
A Constellation of Roses

"A CONSTELLATION OF ROSES is a beautiful story of familial love and healing. Trix has been trying to make her..."
The 12th Candle

"Sage lives out west in the town of Goldview, and her family is cursed. Years ago, her mother and her..."
A Small Zombie Problem (Zombie Problems, #1)

"A SMALL ZOMBIE PROBLEM is a charming story in the vein of A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS and Tim Burton...."
A Room Away From the Wolves

"Clever, mysterious, and deliciously creepy, A ROOM AWAY FROM THE WOLVES is an atmospheric magical realism that will make the..."
All of Us with Wings

"ALL OF US WITH WINGS is a quirky fantasy/magical realism that follows three main points-of-view. First, we have Xochi, a..."
The Girl Who Drank the Moon

"THE GIRL WHO DRANK THE MOON is a simply stunning and magically lyrical story. The book follows many points-of-view in..."
The Lost Coast

"THE LOST COAST is lyrical, ethereal, and deliciously haunting. Danny has moved to Northern California with her mother, to a..."
I Do Not Trust You

"I DO NOT TRUST YOU by Laura J. Burns and Melinda Metz is a young adult thriller that follows Memphis..."
The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)

""The Raven King" is a glorious end to a magnificent series. This series has quickly become one of my all..."
When the Moon Was Ours

"WHAT I LOVED: If you’re asking book bloggers to recommend you gorgeously written books, there’s a very good chance Anna-Marie..."
The Deepest Roots

"THE DEEPEST ROOTS by Miranda Asebedo is a young adult novel set in the world on Cottonwood Hollow, Kansas, a..."
The Looking Glass

"THE LOOKING GLASS by Janet McNally is a young adult novel set in the highly competitive world of aspiring New..."
Storm-Wake

"Moss has grown up on a magical island with Pa, his stories, and their dogs. The island is filled with..."
Double Cross (Twintuition #4)

"Cassie and Caitlyn Waters are still struggling to understand the power they share, The Sight. It is somehow tied to..."
The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik

"What really stood out most for me in The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik was the writing. David Arnold has..."