Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 5091
Perfect Creepiness with a less-than-perfect Ending
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Opening Line: You stop fearing the Devil when you’re holding his hand.

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea has many things I love: A distinct Gothic feel, a book chock-full of siblings(I love exploring sibling relationships), and enough creepiness to be nightmare-inducing. However, it also has plenty of tropes I hate: a insta-love relationship(which I was almost on board with because of the paranormal aspect until about 3/4 of the way through the book), and a trope I can’t really talk about for fear of spoilers but I HATE. The combination of these things–some of my greatest loves in literature, and some of my deepest hatreds–left me with quite a mixed feeling.

I will say that I loved the prose in Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. Tucholke really captured the creepiness of the book with the way she turned words. It made my reading quite a visual experience, for which I wasn’t always glad. Even now I can still picture a cemetery full of children, all hunting for the devil, intent on a mission. The location and description is enough to sufficiently creep me out. I also thought that the timelessness that is so often present in this genre was captured well. It’s set in modern day, from what I can tell, but it could have easily been set twenty or thirty years ago. The huge, spooky house, the town flavor–I was a HUGE fan of the writing, even if not always the plot. Even though, I will say that Tucholke has a certain affinity for one of my least favorite often used phrases: “the crooked smile”. I counted it used at least four times in this book, and that’s the unofficial tally. It’s a small thing, but I’m still not a fan of that phrase.

The characters in this book aren’t likable, but they held my interest so much. Violet is insufferable at times, and pretentious, but her concern for her family and her relationship with her grandmother kept her grounded in at least “interesting narrator” territory. Not a character I’d like to emulate(I mean, she thought A Rose for Emily by Faulkner was a romantic story), but her characterization didn’t bother me too much. River is every bit the enigma presented in the summary–What’s he really doing? Is he who he says he is? Why are all these awful things happening? And while I did think these two central characters were 3-dimension, I can’t say I feel the same way about all the secondary characters. Violet’s brother, Luke, and neighbor, Sunshine, never quite seemed to have any depth to me. Towards the end, Luke was beginning to gain on this a little, but it was a bit too little, too late.

However, Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea’s plot was it’s saving grace. The plot was amazing, and kept me turning pages and pages to figure out all the mysteries presented in the novel. The paranormal aspects, the Gothic atmosphere, all these things rolled up into one plot that was a heck of a page turner. I was waiting with baited breath until the big reveal.

Which is perhaps why the end was so disappointing to me. I can’t say without spoiling it, but the ending really did use one of my least favorite “plot reveals”. It’s the thing I’ve always thought of as a cliche, and I’ve really only enjoyed one book that used it. After that plot twist was revealed, the suspense was gone, because that cliche can only ever end one way. I really did enjoy Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, but the ending left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth.

Final Impression: I’m pretty split overall on Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. I really loved the writing style and most of the plot, but the characters weren’t the best and it did use some of my least favorite tropes. While some things didn’t bother me as much, I really disliked the ending for using what I consider an over-used cliche, especially in the genre. I enjoyed my reading of Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, but it’s not a book I would recommend to someone who wants to start reading in the Gothic horror genre.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

City of Spells (Into the Crooked Place, #2)

0.0 (0)
City of Spells, the follow-up to Alexandra Christo's gritty...
Ravage the Dark (Scavenge the Stars, #2)

0.0 (0)
Step into an opulent world filled with risk, romance,...
Sing Me Forgotten

0.0 (0)
Isda does not exist. At least not beyond the...
Sweet & Bitter Magic

0.0 (0)
In this charming debut fantasy perfect for fans of...
American Betiya

0.0 (0)
A luminous story of a young artist grappling with...
The Fire in the Glass

0.0 (0)
To save someone she loves from brutal murder, a...
A Red Sun Rises

0.0 (0)
Nine years ago, an unknown poison called the “Red” saturated...
The Story Blanket

0.0 (0)
Babba Zarrah lives in a tiny village in the snow-covered...

0.0 (0)
Which side do you choose when your family is both...
Now That Night is Near

0.0 (0)
It's bedtime, and across the land everyone is settling down...
Mommy Loves You

0.0 (0)
With heart-shaped lift-the-flaps and a surprise mirror at the end,...
Calm Bunny (Yoga Tots)

0.0 (0)
Charming illustrations and step-by-step instructions take little ones through a...
The Problem with Pierre

0.0 (0)
The differences between Bertram and his neighbor Alan were never...
Noisy Tractor (I Can Learn)

0.0 (0)
Children will love to press the soft, silicone buttons on...
Broken Hearts of Queens (Book 1 from The Lost in Love Series)

0.0 (0)
Joy Luminieé, a scrappy teen from Queens, NY, can barely...
Phoebe Unfired

0.0 (0)
CONNECTING IS TOUGH WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN TOUCH ...

Latest Member Reviews

Black Canary: Breaking Silence

"Years ago, the Court of Owls overtook Gotham City, ending the reign of superheroes and creating a new Gotham built..."
American Betiya

"AMERICAN BETIYA is a breathtaking contemporary read about identity, family, and racism. Rani is an Indian American with dreams of..."
In the Penalty Box

" The Story: Willow is a figure skater who has been sidelined from her team by an injury...."
Ravage the Dark (Scavenge the Stars, #2)

"RAVAGE THE DARK is a satisfying conclusion to a YA fantasy duology. In this sequel, we begin with Cayo, Amaya,..."
Thirty Talks Weird Love

"One day, Thirteen-year-old Anamaria has an encounter from Thirty, a strange woman who insists she's from the future...."
Admission

"‘Admission’ by Julie Buxbaum is a modern and definitely current read on a topic that has been in the news...."
Running

"‘Running’ by Natalia Sylvester is a trend-setting anthem for anyone who has ever wanted to be the change they wish..."
City of Spells (Into the Crooked Place, #2)

"CITY OF SPELLS is a stunning conclusion to an enthralling YA fantasy duology. The book plunges us into the story..."
The Project

"What worked: This is one intense psychological tale of a girl trying to reconnect with her sister after she joins..."
Sweet & Bitter Magic

"SWEET & BITTER MAGIC is a lush and enthralling YA fantasy filled with magic, pain, and love. In this world,..."
Sing Me Forgotten

"SING ME FORGOTTEN is an enchanting, compelling, and unexpected YA fantasy retelling of Phantom of the Opera. In this world,..."
The Valley and the Flood

"Rose Colter is adrift. She can't be where she was staying for the holidays but she can't go home yet..."
Perfect on Paper

"PERFECT ON PAPER is a delightful YA romantic comedy. Darcy has been operating Locker 89 at her school for years...."
11 Paper Hearts

"Reviewed for YA Books Central A super cute and sweet story. The story: A year ago, a..."
shine your icy crown

"shine your icy crown by amanda lovelace is a 129-page collection of contemporary poems. It’s the second book in the..."
The Castle School (for Troubled Girls)

"THE CASTLE SCHOOL (FOR TROUBLED GIRLS) is a story of healing and friendship. Moira has been cast adrift since the..."
Go the Distance

"Hercules proved he was a true hero and became a god like his parents, Zeus and Hera. Meg is thrilled..."
Follow Your Arrow

"FOLLOW YOUR ARROW is a heartfelt read about love, breaking up, and being true to yourself. CeCe has made a..."
Down Comes the Night

"DOWN COMES THE NIGHT is an intriguing, slow-burn YA fantasy. Wren is a healer in the military of her queendom,..."
A Dark and Hollow Star (A Dark and Hollow Star, #1)

"A DARK AND HOLLOW STAR is a slowly building YA fantasy that takes the reader on a wild ride through..."