Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2619
Aristocrat's Ransom: The Rising
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

This review and its gifs can also be found at http://ransom-reads.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/aristocrats-ransom-rising.html

MAJOR SELLING POINTS:
Series Finale

I put off this book for a while. Because I was afraid for it to end, didn't have time to devote myself to it properly, and couldn't find it in bookstores for a while. I enjoyed reading it and seeing characters get their happy (well, as can be expected) ending after all their hard work, but I am really sad to let it go.

Supernatural Connections

Before I completed the Darkness Rising series, I read Armstrong's Darkest Powers (YA) and Otherworld (Adult) series which are all set in the same world. In THE RISING we see many connections between the series, much stronger than the other two series. Names are mentioned, actual characters appear. It made me so happy! And at other times it was incredibly terrifying because of what it might mean. Either way it has left me begging for a crossover.

SWASHBUCKLING:

As per usual for Kelley Armstrong's series finales the plot barely stops to give you a moment to breath. Though there isn't as much action as compared to the Darkest Powers ending, this series is going for a much more solid solution that will last longer being on the run. So we need to take time to figure that out and achieve it. The introduction of some awesome characters and the conflicts they bring add to the enjoyment of the plot.

LINGO:

Kelley Armstrong has written many novels, and I have loved every single one I've read. Each character is different, and the writing reflects that. Yet the character differences never stop me from turning the page. Armstrong has a compelling writing style that keeps me reading even when I'm bored (which is rarely with her books).

CREW:
Maya

I wasn't sure if I liked Maya at the start of the series after becoming attached to Chloe in Darkest Powers. Now, after a fast paced journey and high stakes, I love her. She is loyal and dedicated, but never incredibly selfish. She is the type of person I wish I had as a friend, I think. Plus she wants to be a vet and I am studying to be one :D

Ash

I wasn't expecting to see this character in this series at all, so it was a pleasant surprise to meet him. Until he opened his mouth. He's kind of a jerk who trusts no one. Considering his horrible life though, I can't say I blame him. Ash does bring some funny moments to the novel though (just like Corey does) and he has some great development.

Daniel

Daniel is so wonderful and perfect. Selfless like Maya, and willing to put himself at risk for the sake of others safety. I really liked him, and the extent of what he is willing to do so his friends can be happy and comfortable is admirable. He also possesses an incredible amount of patience.

SWOONABILITY:

The romance takes a back seat to more important plot elements. I cannot tell you how happy this makes me! It's still there, there's still romantic moments and conflicts, but nothing really happens until the end. When everything is solved. Thank you, Maya, for being sensible and realising there are more important things about your life than your boyfriend.

SHIPS:
-Maya x Rafe
-Maya x Daniel
-Chloe x Derek
-Tori x Ash
-Tori x Corey
-Darkest Powers/Darkness Rising/Otherworld series x Crossover (IT NEEDS TO HAPPEN)
-Nicole x Mental Hospital
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Secondhand Dogs

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming—and heart-tugging—middle grade novel about love, loyalty, and what...
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming text honoring the ever-evolving relationship of a parent...
Colors of Habitats

0.0 (0)
The brand-new sequel to a well-reviewed bestseller that has been...
Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales Book 6)

0.0 (0)
A prince of two kingdoms. A woman fighting against the...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after classes...
All These Bodies

0.0 (0)
Sixteen bloodless bodies. Two teenagers. One impossible explanation. ...
The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and...
I Am the Shark

0.0 (0)
What makes the great white shark (one of) the greatest...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good romantic...
Take Me Home Tonight

0.0 (0)
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off meets Nick and Nora’s Infinite...
The People We Choose

5.0 (1)
When 17-year-old Calliope meets her new neighbor Max, their...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to...
Slingshot

0.0 (0)
An exciting debut contemporary young adult novel perfect for...
The Keeper of Night

5.0 (1)
Death is her destiny. Half...
The Girls are Never Gone

0.0 (0)
The Conjuring meets Sadie when seventeen-year-old podcaster Dare takes an...

Latest Member Reviews

Photos Framed: A Fresh Look at the World's Most Memorable Photographs

"******PLEASE READ***** URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BACK FAST AND TO SAVE YOUR..."
Book Nerd

N/A
"******PLEASE READ***** URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BACK FAST AND TO SAVE YOUR..."
Book Nerd

"BOOK NERD is a delightful gift book for book lovers everywhere. The book is filled with colorful artwork and fun..."

"If you've already read Wind's great novel, Queer as a Five Dollar Bill (2019), you know that there is solid..."
Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke

"Maraniss, whose Strong Inside covered Black basketball player Perry Wallace, turns his incredible research skills the the story of Glenn..."
The Train Your Brain Mind Exercise: 156 Puzzles for a Superior Mind

"The book sets expectations a bit high by touting the claim of unique puzzles for all skill levels, with a..."
Goodbye: A Story of Suicide

"A (quasi-creative?) non-fiction graphic novel, aimed at a Middle Grade or lower YA audience. It addresses the topic of bullying..."
1789: Twelve Authors Explore a Year of Rebellion, Revolution, & Change

"What worked: Fascination collection of essays that show the impact of the year 1789 in the world.In this anthology, twelve..."
Strong Voices: Fifteen American Speeches Worth Knowing

"A compilation of excerpts from fifteen noteworthy speeches, selected from across American history. The chosen pieces represent great variety,..."
Wild Girl: How to Have Incredible Outdoor Adventures

"WILD GIRL: HOW TO HAVE INCREDIBLE OUTDOOR ADVENTURES is written by Helen Skelton, a veteran wild girl herself. In this..."
Sabina: In the Eye of the Storm

"'Sabina: In the Eye of the Storm' by Bella Kuligowska Zucker is an incredibly moving tale of the author's search..."
Beauty Mark: A Verse Novel of Marilyn Monroe

"What worked: Haunting, tragic tale of the life of Marilyn Monroe, told in verse which gives a powerful punch to..."
Hope in the Mail: Reflections on Writing and Life

"HOPE IN THE MAIL is an autobiographical account of the author’s life as it relates to her writing. Wendelin Van..."
Super Sons: The PolarShield Project

"An alternate reality take on the Super Sons series, featuring the middle-school aged offspring of Batman and Superman. When "climate..."
You Too?: 25 Voices Share Their #MeToo Stories

"What worked: Great compilation of personal essays inspired by the #YouToo movement. Each of the authors included in this anthology..."
This Is 18

"This is a fascinating view into what it's like to be a 18 year old girl throughout the world shown..."
They Called Us Enemy

"This graphic novel is an early life personal account of a major historical event (the internment of Japanese Americans durring..."
Poems to Live Your Life By

"POEMS TO LIVE YOUR LIFE BY is a collection in which each poem has been hand-picked by Chris Riddell, for..."
Breaking Through: How Female Athletes Shattered Stereotypes in the Roaring Twenties

"One hundred years ago. When I was growing up, this seemed like an impossibly long time in the past. The..."
No Map, Great Trip: A Young Writer's Road to Page One

"'No Map, Great Trip: A Young Writer's Road to Page One' by Paul Fleischman tells the story of the author..."