Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 9649
Wonderfully Creepy Series
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

It’s been a while since I’ve had a book that’s kept me up reading until midnight. I knew when putting together my pile or books for October that As Dead As It Gets would be perfect for the spooky Halloween ambiance. I loved the first book, Bad Girls Don’t Die, quite a lot. The setting with the eerie old house was just perfect, but I though it’s sequel, From Bad to Cursed, kind of fell flat. However, while I don’t think it was as good as book one, As Dead As It Gets definitely made up for what was lacking in book two.

Alexis is a main character that really appeals to me. Maybe it’s her love for photography or the fact that she doesn’t have normal colored hair (with the exception of book two.) I always seem to end up loving characters that have Crayola colored hair… Anyway, I’ve always liked Alexis as the main character. She’s one of those people who try to stay out of the way and out of the spotlight, but can and will step up when she needs to. And in this book, she has so much more baggage than what she started out with in book one. I think damaged characters are the most interesting to read, and we’ve got our fill of damaged characters in this book especially. I was actually surprised that I ending up really liking characters that I had just hated in the previous novels. I won’t say anymore because, you know, spoilers.

The story had plot twists all over the place. First we think that it’s one person causing all these horrible events to happen, but then we fins out it’s someone else, and then we find out that it’s someTHING else. And we find out that characters that we thought we trustworthy aren’t and vice versa. It’s kind of mind melting. Katie Alender does such a wonderful weaving everything together and taking the story to places I never thought it would go. And it’s so creepy. This series does a really good job of keeping you up late reading, but then not wanting to turn off the light. This novel also had more romance than it’s predecessors, but it will also make you want to keep the light on, I guarantee that.

Overall, I thought this was an appropriate end to the series. It was kind of bittersweet–some things work out for the better, but a lot more turn out badly. And I like that. I like that everyone is probably more damaged than when they started out. It’s more realistic that way. Although I’ll be sad to see this series end, I’m excited to read what else Katie Alender comes up with. Consider me a fan.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Secondhand Dogs

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming—and heart-tugging—middle grade novel about love, loyalty, and what...
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming text honoring the ever-evolving relationship of a parent...
Colors of Habitats

0.0 (0)
The brand-new sequel to a well-reviewed bestseller that has been...
Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales Book 6)

0.0 (0)
A prince of two kingdoms. A woman fighting against the...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after classes...
All These Bodies

0.0 (0)
Sixteen bloodless bodies. Two teenagers. One impossible explanation. ...
The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and...
I Am the Shark

0.0 (0)
What makes the great white shark (one of) the greatest...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good romantic...
Take Me Home Tonight

0.0 (0)
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off meets Nick and Nora’s Infinite...
The People We Choose

5.0 (1)
When 17-year-old Calliope meets her new neighbor Max, their...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to...
Slingshot

0.0 (0)
An exciting debut contemporary young adult novel perfect for...
The Keeper of Night

5.0 (1)
Death is her destiny. Half...
The Girls are Never Gone

0.0 (0)
The Conjuring meets Sadie when seventeen-year-old podcaster Dare takes an...

Latest Member Reviews

Made in Korea

"MADE IN KOREA is a sweet romantic-comedy about competition, family, and reaching for your dreams. Valerie runs a very successful..."
Take Me Home Tonight

"TAKE ME HOME TONIGHT is an unexpected YA contemporary read, told from three perspectives. Kat, Stevie, and Teri are all..."
Daughters of Jubilation

"It's South Carolina in 1962. Sixteen-year-old Evvie has two little sisters to take care of, a single mother, and finally..."
Three Day Summer

"Michael doesn't know what he wants to do with his life. He should go to community college to avoid the..."
Glimpsed

"GLIMPSED gives us a twist on the typical fairytale with Charity, a fairy godmother from a line of fairy godmothers...."
The Toll

"I really enjoyed this trilogy. Honestly, I did. The whole world was interesting and the way everything played out -..."
Our Dogs, Ourselves

"Ms. Horowitz is a scientist who studies dogs and who has written several books about dogs and their behavior, including..."
The Black Kids

"THE BLACK KIDS is a really poignant read that ties history to the present. Ashley is a senior in high..."
Permanent Record

"In many ways, Permanent Record confused me, irritated me at times, maybe even angered me a little, but eventually wowed..."
The Sullivan Sisters

"Eileen, Claire, and Murphy Sullivan used to be close. They had their special traditions, their shared laughs, and their shared..."
Charlie Thorne and the Last Equation (Charlie Thorne #1)

"Charlie is a twelve year old intellectual prodigy who has uncaring, manipulative parents whom she has escaped by enrolling in..."
Masters of Mischief (The Misadventures of Max Crumbly #3)

"When we last saw Max and Erin, they had just thwarted three inept burglars and were headed for a garbage..."
Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)

"SHATTER THE SKY follows, Maren, who has been raised in a small mountain town. She and her girlfriend, Kaia, have..."
To All The Boys I've Loved Before

"This is one of the very few times I will ever say this but here we go.... I preferred the..."
Dry
Dry

"It is a true testament to the authors’ skill that I was literally parched while reading this book. Readers will..."
Fake Blood

"WHAT I LOVED: AJ is your average kid and doesn’t have anything exciting going on in his life, but he’s..."
The Diabolic (The Diabolic #1)

""The Diabolic" is a unique YA dystopian book. In this future, humans have advanced scientifically and technologically, traveling through space..."
Children of Refuge

"CHILDREN OF REFUGE is the second in a series by Margaret Peterson Haddix in which the main characters, Rosi and..."
Children of Exile

"Rosi is twelve-years-old and she and the other children of Fredtown were taken from an unsafe situation with their birth..."
Fly Girls: The Forgotten Women Airforce Service Pilots of WWII

"While WWI used planes, the technology and use really took off during WWII. It's hard for people today to understand..."