Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1161
Wonderful Debut!
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

What I liked: First of all I was extremely impressed with Lynn Maddalenna Menna's writing style. The story has great flow and the characters all come across well. I enjoyed reading about the culture of East Harlem and the Latino community there. I was rooting for Marisol from page 1. I felt all the secondary characters were written really well, not just put in to fill extra pages. I love how strong Marisol is. She knows what she wants and she's willing to do what it takes to get it, as long as she's comfortable with it. I appreciated that. There were other characters in the book willing to do ANYTHING to get what they wanted, and I loved how Marisol didn't get involved in that.

What left me wanting more: I honestly didn't like Marisol and Julian's relationship. If he truly loved her, he would not have wanted her to put her music career on hold just for him. I felt like he did not really support her and he pushed her to do things she wan't ready for. I kind of wished she would have found someone else, but that's just my opinion. I was really put off by the way her friends treated her. There was so much jealousy and pettiness towards her. I would love to read more about Marisol, but the ending of this book was great and is great as a stand alone!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account