Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 8863
Revenge is sweet
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I love revenge stories. There’s just something so liberating about exacting your revenge upon someone who has wronged you – or so I’d imagine, considering I’ve never actually followed through with any of my elaborate schemes. Of course, even with the best laid plans, revenge is often messy and involves heavy consequences, which is a lesson that the girls learn the hard way.

At first glance, the three girls couldn’t be more different: Lillia is the pretty, popular cheerleader who seems to want for nothing; Kat is a strong, brash outcast with a rough home life; Mary is sweet, shy new girl with her fair share of secrets. As their desire for revenge brings them together, they slowly grow to care for one another and truly become a force to be reckoned with. The girls each have distinct voices and compelling stories, so you can’t help rooting for them even if you don’t support the idea of getting even. The supporting characters are just as fleshed out, blurring the line between “friend” and “foe” as the story progresses.

The revenge itself certainly can’t be described as “sweet.” It starts out as a series of pranks that are mostly innocent but quickly escalates as the reasons why each girl desires retribution come to light. The final revenge scheme is taken too far, causing everything to quickly spiral out of control.

Burn For Burn is primarily a contemporary novel, though small hints of paranormal activity crop up every once in a while. Towards the end, this paranormal aspect becomes more important (and more intriguing), culminating in a game-changing, cliffhanger ending. Although this twist was fairly unexpected, I loved it and can’t wait to see what it will mean for the girls and their schemes.

Overall, Burn For Burn is a dark, suspenseful tale of revenge and unexpected friendships. It’s an excellent start to a series, and I can’t wait to read the sequel!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)

0.0 (0)
In this riveting, keenly emotional debut fantasy, a Black teen...
You Say It First

0.0 (0)
One conversation can change everything. Meg has her entire...
My High School Royal Boyfriend

0.0 (0)
ALEX A tragedy at Langley Estate puts my family...
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Clark thought he knew what grief was. Addie thought...
Tales from the Hinterland

0.0 (0)
A gorgeously illustrated collection of twelve “lush and deliciously...
Sisters of Shadow and Light

0.0 (0)
From the acclaimed author of Defy, Sara B. Larson,...
In the Penalty Box

0.0 (0)
Willow Figure skating was supposed to be my whole...
Unchosen

0.0 (0)
Katharyn Blair crafts a fiercely feminist fantasy with a horrifying...
Miracle Girl

0.0 (0)
Leanne Strong hates June eighth even though it's supposed to...
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Rosie Singer’s mom is missing whatever it is that...
Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke

0.0 (0)
On October 2nd, 1977, Glenn Burke, outfielder for the Los...
The Elephant in the Room

0.0 (0)
It's been almost a year since Sila's mother traveled halfway...
Alone in the Woods

0.0 (0)
Jocelyn and Alex have always been best friends...until they aren't....
Disaster Days

0.0 (0)
Hannah Steele loves living on Pelling, a tiny island near...
Wild River

0.0 (0)
Daniel Redmayne is fast asleep on the first night of...
The Last Hurrah

0.0 (0)
3 nights, 2 days, and 1 massive music fest ....

Latest Member Reviews

The Elephant in the Room

"Sila's family has been happy in Oregon, even though her father, who is a mechanical engineer, has to work as..."
Yara's Spring

"Yara and her younger brother Saad are in a refugee camp in Jordan in 2016, waiting to hear what their..."
Cracked Up To Be

"Cracked up to be is an unsettling tale of a girl on the cusp of a mental breakdown for over..."
The Derby Daredevils: Kenzie Kickstarts a Team: (The Derby Daredevils Book #1)

"Kenzie and her best friend Shelley love roller derby, a sport in which they are interested because Kenzie's mother is..."
Nina Soni: Sister Fixer

"After Nina Soni, Former Best Friend, Nina is back, and this time is concerned that her little sister is a..."
King and Kayla and the Case of the Unhappy Neighbor

"King's friend Thor is in big trouble. His owner, Jillian, got a call from the grumpy Mr. Gary that Thor..."
Storm Dog

"Ariel has a difficult home life in her Blue Ridge Mountain home in Virginia. It's not because of economics; her..."
Wrong Way Summer

"Claire's father has always been evasive when it comes to answering questions about her mother, who left the family when..."
That's Not What Happened

"WHAT I LOVED: There have been countless school shootings in the United States and hundreds if not thousands of..."
Like Sisters on the Homefront

"Top 3 reasons to read LIKE SISTERS ON THE HOMEFRONT: 1.) The characters- Gayle, a NYC girl sent to..."
Zeus, Dog of Chaos

"Madden is getting used to living with his mother, an Army lieutenant, after having spent a lot of time with..."
How to be a Girl in the World

"Lydia lives in an apartment in New York with her mom and her cousin, Emma. Emma's mother, who was African-American,..."
The New David Espinoza

"David is the skinniest kid at high Florida high school, and he's taken his share of bullying about it. On..."
The Magnificent Mya Tibbs: Mya in the Middle

"Mya's exploits at school continue when her fourth grade class participates in an economics unit. The children get $25 from..."
Sabotage (Beatrice Zinker, Upside Down Thinker (3))

"Beatrice calls a meeting of Operation Upside with her friends Sam and Lenny, and they decide what the newest awards..."
I, Cosmo

"Cosmo is the "big brother" of Max and his young sister Emmaline, and is now 13 years old. He still..."
TBH, This is SO Awkward

"'TBH, This is SO Awkward: A Novel in Text' by Lisa Greenwald is quite interesting in that it is written..."
Look Both Ways

"I often hear it said that writers are bred, and sure you can breed some decent writers with whatever amount..."
Long Way Down

"I feel like I've been asleep for the last 31 years and I just woke up. I am woke. ..."
Dog Days in the City

"In The Unlikely Story of a Pig in the City, Josie and her large family adopted Hamlet, a pig. When..."